What's new

*** Official INVICTUS Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Wow, I just saw the trailer recently. This one totally slipped under my radar. Cannot wait.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/invictus/

So December is going to be a big month for me as three of my favorite filmmakers have new films coming out: Clint Eastwood's Invictus, Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones, and of course James Cameron's Avatar.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Everytime I see one of these, I always think to myself: my god, has Matt Damon done an insane job managing his career.
Look at it, he and Ben Affleck started with the same Buzz, except Ben was perceived as the "pretty boy" and managed to do a series of pretty crap big-budget films (see: Armageddon, Paycheck) and then a series of total crap (Gigli, etc.) he through in some minor roles for a certain fan base that they both did (Dogma, Clerks II cameo, etc.)

Meanwhile, Matt Damon came out and while Bourne was a blockbuster, no one thought the first film would blow up as it did, it was just a really smart script. He followed up Goodwill Hunting with Rounders right away, which was a great low budget film and maybe the best film ever about playing cards. (yes, there are several out there also in contention, but it's up there). The Talented Mr. Ripley, then Bourne Identity.. Oceans films, then Syrianna (very good), The Departed (he's incredible in it) , The Good Shepherd (better then it got credit for)

I mean, add Invictus to his list, and Damon is quickly weaving his way through some of the best directors in the business and really becoming a box office draw. Meanwhile, Ben Affleck is basically nowhere... Hollywoodland was decent though.
This has the right real story and could be pretty effective on the screen. I'm there.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

Meanwhile, Ben Affleck is basically nowhere... Hollywoodland was decent though.
Check out Gone, Baby Gone. Even if you don't like him as an actor, Affleck's got lots of talent as a director. For what it's worth, I think he's been taking much better roles and movies in the last 5 or so years.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Damon looks like P.S. Hoffman if he was younger and not fat.

after seeing the trailer this doesn't look like something I need to see now.
Not even sure what it's about.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like this project for so many reasons. I like that a movie about the first year or so under South Africa's first black president is being released in the first year or so under the United States's first black president. I like that after Eastwood was targeted with aspersions of racism over elements in his Iwo Jima movies and Gran Torino, he makes a movie about Nelson Mandela. I like that I won't have to worry any more about Morgan Freeman wasting an uncanny likeness by dying before starring as Nelson Mandela in something. Most of all, I like that it's titled Invictus, after the William Ernest Henley poem:

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The poem fits Mandela's life perfectly, but on a broader scape it speaks to themes of induvidualism that have run through Eastwood's entire body of work, from his early crime dramas and westerns as an actor through to his more recent works as a director.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I like that I won't have to worry any more about Morgan Freeman wasting an uncanny likeness by dying before starring as Nelson Mandela in something.

My understanding is that the project actually belonged to Freeman, who had the intention of starring as Mandela and brought it to Eastwood for him to direct.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Originally Posted by TravisR

Check out Gone, Baby Gone. Even if you don't like him as an actor, Affleck's got lots of talent as a director. For what it's worth, I think he's been taking much better roles and movies in the last 5 or so years.
He was hilarious in Extract.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Invictus". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Invictus" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought I was going to be the only person in the audience for my matinee showing, but four other people joined me just as the trailers were beginning to show.

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I thought I was going to be the only person in the audience for my matinee showing, but four other people joined me just as the trailers were beginning to show.
I saw it yesterday and there was about 30 people there which, for the little theater that I saw it in, was a very large number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks