What's new

Inglourious Basterds (2009) (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Give it a shot. I can't blame you if you went in expecting a sort of Dirty Dozen type movie. It's how the Weinstein Company sold it to audiences. But it's not really the case. The Basterds are only a small portion of the movie and most of the film's showpieces depend on dialogue (usually in French of German) and tension. There's not much action in the movie at all.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Nope, certainly not an 'action' movie. But there is no small amount of tension. My hats off to Christoph Waltz and Melanie Laurent (Lt. Landa and Soshanna Dreyfus), now that was some fine acting there.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
D-Day is getting close and I'm trying to make a yearly tradition to watch WWII movies around this time.

Originally when I saw the movie I didn't like it at all. Especially not knowing anything about it, the ending was a shock! What is this movie? A comedy?

Now after having seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and enjoying and getting the ending (only the ending!), I said it's time to give Inglourious Basterds a second chance and see it with a different mind.

Overall I enjoyed it more this time but it is not my cup of tea. The extreme violence is a turn off for me. I had completely forgotten who lives and who dies. It was like I was seeing it for the first time and it was brutal.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not one of my favorite Tarantino films, but Christoph Waltz is the reason to watch this!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was thinking why it feels to me that the fantasy ending of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood works better than Inglourious Basterds. I think it is because the ending of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the opposite of what happened in real life. It's like a fu to the bad guys that even if you did it in real life, it didn't happen for us. We don't accept it.

With Inglourious Basterds there is no need for a fantasy ending. It did happen.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So many of QT's movies for the last 15 years center on revenge, and Inglorious is no different. It's a fantasy, for sure, about Nazi-hunting. He taps into that well of emotion many people have and acts out what it would have been like to have some gung-ho Americans hunt them down and give them as good as they gave others.

And while it is true that the Nazis were defeated in the war, it was not like this. Many of them escaped around the world, and the fascist influence is still felt in various political climates everywhere. Tarantino's fantasy was about ending that threat.

It's a great movie, and it shows that he's the best master of suspense since Alfred Hitchcock. That scene with Michael Fassbender in the cafe with the gun under the table is extraordinary. Whether or not one approves of QT taking liberties with history, this is remarkable film making.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I find it a fun but essentially dumb film. I enjoy the actors and the dialogue...which is typically what makes a Tarantino movie fun. However, I did find this one had a rather giant injection of stupid. I understand it is supposed to be a revenge film but I do not think it works as one. I am unsure if he meant it as one but it almost seems a treatise on the ignorance of violence. It's certainly funny but because it is so over the top ridiculous, obviously intentionally, it never works as a revenge picture for me. Waltz devours his part though and steals the film every second he is onscreen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So many of QT's movies for the last 15 years center on revenge, and Inglorious is no different. It's a fantasy, for sure, about Nazi-hunting. He taps into that well of emotion many people have and acts out what it would have been like to have some gung-ho Americans hunt them down and give them as good as they gave others.

And while it is true that the Nazis were defeated in the war, it was not like this. Many of them escaped around the world, and the fascist influence is still felt in various political climates everywhere. Tarantino's fantasy was about ending that threat.

It's a great movie, and it shows that he's the best master of suspense since Alfred Hitchcock. That scene with Michael Fassbender in the cafe with the gun under the table is extraordinary. Whether or not one approves of QT taking liberties with history, this is remarkable film making.
I quite enjoy this movie and more so than "Pulp Fiction".

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I loved it back in 2009 when I first saw it in the theater and have watched it many times on my blu ray ever since. I don’t think there’s a movie of this century that I’ve watched more times than this. My absolute favorite Tarantino movie and among my favorites of all time. Though I haven’t seen the last couple Tarantino movies, somehow I think this would still be on top. Chapter Four: “Operation KENO” is the particularly amazing.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Amusing trivia I noticed for the cafe scene.

Michael Fassbender is German and he is supposed to have a bad German accent.

That cafe owner is a German actor and he is not supposed to be a German in the movie. He has played in many WWII movies including one of the best Der Untergang (2004) (Downfall). :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking why it feels to me that the fantasy ending of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood works better than Inglourious Basterds. I think it is because the ending of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the opposite of what happened in real life. It's like a fu to the bad guys that even if you did it in real life, it didn't happen for us. We don't accept it.

With Inglourious Basterds there is no need for a fantasy ending. It did happen.

Well, "it happened" in the sense that Hitler and other Nazis died, but obviously it didn't happen as depicted in the movie.

The ending of "IB" can be seen as cathartic, as it gives Hitler a much more brutal ending than his bunker suicide...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I rank IB right along with Jackie Brown as Quentin’s 2nd best film. Tension galore, and the last chapter in the film The Revenge Of The Giant Face is a harrowing masterpiece, in my opinion. I also loved Diehl’s performance- perfect as the weasel Nazi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks