What's new

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I also have to disagree with this. On his best day Stephen Summers can't hold a candle to Spielberg's worst day. The Mummy, while I enjoyed it the first or second viewing, is not a film that I can really sit through the whole thing anymore. Not at all up too any of the Indy films.

I'm starting to wonder if people have a problem with this just because its an Indy film. I wonder what people would say about this movie if it hadn't been an Indy film at all?

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I liked the mummy because I'm a huge Saturday morning serial fan, but in my opinion it's just not in the league of any of the Indy films. I like Fraser, I think he is the best thing in the Mummy films.

Doug

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

and we still have "G.I. Joe" to look forward to!

*cries*

My most anticipated movie ever is directed by the dude who did "Van Helsing." Kill me now.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I didn't care much for the Mummy Returns but I did like Alan Silvestri's score. One of the best adventure movie scores of the last 15 years or so.

Doug

Pete-D

Screenwriter

If Indy IV wasn't an Indy film but just a generic adventure film, it would be getting slammed a lot harder for dull action scenes and poor villains.

I don't have a problem with the fanboy concerns of the crystal skulls not being Indy enough, or Tarzan swinging, even the CGI monkeys did not bother me one bit.

The problem I have is KotCS really doesn't do the things that the previous Indiana Jones movies did well.

If you strip Raiders of most of its romance and danger, slashing the banter between Ford and Allen by 2/3rds, cutting out most of the booby traps and scarier/tenser moments, and reduced the Nazis to really bland, even some what nice villains ... then you'd get KotCS.

Koepp and Lucas (by wasting everyone's time in fighting with Spielberg/Ford ... if you want to make a 50s alien sci-fi movie, then make one from scratch for crying out loud) I think are at fault here.

Spielberg did what he could with a script that probably was a Frankenstein-esque mishmash by the time the cameras started rolling.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

My problem is they are doing G.I. Joe from when the action figures were shrunk down! I come from the 12 inch G.I. Joe era when he was still just a soldier and not some kind of super spy/action hero thingie.

Doug

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You're in luck, Sommers isn't directing; however (ahem) Rob Cohen is doing the duty so, depending on how much you liked XXX, the news might not be all good. :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Similar could be said about Gore Verbinski for the Pirates sequels, though those weren't quite bad enough to call for his license.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Again I beg to differ. I would like this film Indy or not. I just really had a great time watching it. Had a big grin on my face through the whole thing.

Doug

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Well I grew up with the super soldier Joes (the cooler ones, lol.) You must admit, if they went with the old school Joes, it's just be another war movie. With the 80s version, we got colorful characters with a rich and interesting (though admittedly comic book-ish) backstories.

Which do you think is an easier sell?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Well this is quite true, unless they went with the late 70s G.J. Joe Adventure Team ideas. Don't know if you remember those. Actually that stuff was very Indiana Jones like.

Doug

MikeRS

Screenwriter

Nope. Disagree there. :)

I just saw the film a second time and confirmed my original estimation that the set-pieces in this film feature top notch, Spielberg craftsmanship.

Unlike "Last Crusade".

Jungle chase set-piece is great and will hold up much better than the tank scene in "Crusade". It's visceral, adrenaline-pumping, and most of all, fun. Great editing, geography, etc.. Loved it even more on second viewing.

Love the motorcycle chase for it's old school thrills, but the jungle chase is my favorite.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
My biggest critique on second viewing was some of the Crystal Skull exposition seemed especially dull (especially during the cemetary tomb). That's the beginning of middle slowdown people have mentioned in some reviews. But I gotta be honest, I thought the same thing about the Grail stuff in "Last Crusade". (There's that film again ;) ) . 20 years ago, I remember thinking, "this is just Raiders lite". But it's tolerable now all those many viewings later. Who knows maybe the same fate will occur with this flick's overlong exposition. ;)

Anyone get a Hammer vibe in the cemetary? I guess it would make sense to pay homage.

So yeah, second viewing, same result...

Raiders
-
-
-
-
-
Doom
-
Crystal Skull
-
-
-
Last Crusade

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I didn't at the time but now that you mention it, yes very Hammer! Good call.

As for me I rate them:

#1 Raiders
#2 Crystal Scull
#3 Crusade
#4 Doom

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks