What's new

*** Official I AM LEGEND Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hard numbers can't be provided but there is a reason the book is considered a classic.

Why stay on the sidelines Rob? Read the book for yourself.;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The book "Jaws" is a classic too, but I'd heard people prefer the film.

As to me reading "I am Legend" the book, I probably won't since it might spoil my enjoyment of this fine film.;)

Crawdaddy

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

Well I've read Jaws and seen the movie and agree that the movie is superior.

And I've read I Am Legend and seen the movies and feel the book is superior.

However, since you have declined to read the book, you'll just have to trust us.:P
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from seeing it.
On the positive side, I thought Will Smith was VERY good, and there were some touching emotional moments. He was quite believable as the last man left alive on Earth. The chilling effect of a desolate New York City was nicely realized. I liked the strong scenes featuring Smith's dog, who is his only companion.

On the negative side, the film comes crashing down like lead every time we are subjected to the fake-looking night monsters on the prowl. There's that awful and overused modern day trend of needlessly depending on CG renderings. Why is it considered necessary to have these cartoon-like ravenous creatures zipping and zooming and ricocheting all about at lightning speed, loudly roaring with their extra-wide mouthes agape a la Stephen Sommers' MUMMY? This is a damn shame because it trashed what was otherwise shaping up to be a fine film indeed. Also missing from the film is a strong sense of motivation. Both THE LAST MAN ON EARTH as well as THE OMEGA MAN each had that ingredient.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
There's a bit of irony here in that when it was first announced Will Smith was the star of the latest attempt to film Matheson's classic novel, most everyone groaned, including me. Now I read here and elsewhere that he is the best thing about the new film. :)

The film has grossed a fantastic $76.5m in just 3 days, somebody out there likes it, not just Will Smith fans surely. And a lot more than they like The Golden Compass.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It can't hurt that there's not much else out right now worthwhile. Wil Smith or cg chipmunks? Wil Smith or Robin Williams in a cowboy hat? Wil Smith or bee-keeping-is-slavery? Wil Smith or poorly-written-"Catholics-suck"? Except for Enchanted, I don't see much to get the movie-goers dollar this week.

But I think word of mouth is going to hurt "I am Legend". I don't think people are going to recommend it to friends and family. And it doesn't feel like a movie to get serious return-viewers.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I had no problem with Will Smith from the beginning. He's a great actor.

And I tend to fall between Steve and Dave. I think IAL is doing well because it's a BIG movie at Christmas, Will Smith, and exceptionally weak competition. I also think it won't make $200M, even after the huge opening. But it will have OK word of mouth.

It's an OK movie :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's no big reflection on the movie's "quality" because it does so well the first opening weekend. People to go see the new big Will Smith film. It will taper off when it's revealed the flick itself was no big deal.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I think it's too late for any bad word of mouth to hurt the film, it'll have passed $100m by next weekend. It's already one of the biggest hits of the year, like it or not.

I was thinking of giving it a miss but the unusually strong opening weekend has changed my mind. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Like it or not? Hey, I couldn't care less. It will be forgotten in a few months like most other new films of this genre, while the older ones thrive. I'm just saying people are seeing it cuz it's a new Will Smith "big action film".

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I did hear that because the original ending was so dark the studio got cold feet and filmed a new ending. I'm not sure what that ending was but you can sure tell that the last 5 minutes of the movie was added on by the studio.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
The CGI mutants may not have looked great but did anyone else think the female mutant on the examination table looked kinda hot? Or is it just me?

:)

John Doran

Screenwriter
saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it.

i've never read the book (though i now plan on it), and deserted, overgrown post-apocalytpic cities are among my favorite settings, so my biases are clear. that having been said, i understand matheson's central thematic elements, and have to say that the film's narrative core is probably more compelling to me (though arguably not as interesting from a more academic standpoint); i prefer the exploration of loneliness in the context of the complete extinction of humanity understood as the only reasoning social animals on the planet, rather than as a sort of evolutionary residue plaguing the new human(-like) species.

not sure why the victims have extra-large mouths, but they didn't impede my enjoyment of the movie.

i'm definitely going back for another viewing.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Just you, you perv! ;)

I really liked this movie and I loved Will Smith's performance. His bond with Sam (the dog) is really moving.

I read the book prior to watching the movie and so when Ana showed up, I knew enough not to trust her. So I sat there, not trusting her for the remainder of the movie, waiting for her to make her betrayal move... and it just never came. Sorry Ana, nothing personal. :D

I also wish the movie ending would've followed the book. After all, that's where the name of the book/movie comes from. Some directors/studios need to learn to take more risks and not try to appeal to the masses. For all we know, the masses would've loved the original ending.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On another forum their was a discussion about this movie. And in it. The reason they gave for the creatures coming after Will (besides food) was that the creature he took was the only female. And in the scene where he goes into the building to get his dog. The reason they are all standing around. Is that they are taking their turns with her. Was this something from the book or he is just assuming?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks