What's new

*** Official I AM LEGEND Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Will Smith can be an exceptional actor with the right material. That's nothing new. I thought he was very well cast in this, because he can be a movie star, an everyman, and an actor all at once.

The end of the short story (which I read for the first time a month ago) is the whole point of the title. I'm not surprised Akiva fumbled the ball - the man wrote Batman and Robin (and yes, that should be on his tombstone, right next to his Oscar). I am still looking forward to the film (for Lawrence's direction and Smith's performance).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"the man wrote Batman and Robin (and yes, that should be on his tombstone, right next to his Oscar)."

:laugh:

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Since they dropped the vampire idea that's pivotal to the original story, and the ending, apparently, I'm surprised that they retained the title. It's not like I Am Legend is a cornerstone of world literature or something. I doubt that a significant number of people are even aware of what it is and who it has influenced.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie, though, based on the trailers and reviews I've seen, plus the general power of Smith as an actor. I may even check it out in the theater just because of good timing (I usually see only 2 or 3 movies in theater per year). I'm just not expecting it to resemble my conception of I am Legend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "I am Legend". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "I am Legend" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I wouldn't see it on IMAX. I would think the horrible looking CGI mutant zombies would look even worse on IMAX.

And, you're right, Kurt! Since there is practically nothing left here of the original story, why the title? Why not, "Last Man on Earth" or "The Plague" or something?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Spoilers:
Crawdaddy,
In the book, the creatures are vampires and sentient. Towards the end, it becomes clear that not all monsters are equal. Some of them have found a livable cure for their condition, and have evolved into a society (that we see almost nothing of in the books). They capture Neville, and they are about to execute him (as a society...not just murder). He realizes that he has been the boogeyman to THEM (he goes around during the day and stakes vampires). It's a classic shift in perception. Neville is the monster. Neville is LEGEND to the new society, as monsters were to ours.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Crawdaddy,
The story ends with him about to be led out to the execution, right when he makes the realization that "I am legend."I assume they did it, but the story ends right before it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Damn!

For two thirds of the movie the spirit of the book is captured and then it goes off in a much less interesting direction. Taken on its own terms the movie is enjoyable to watched powered by Smith's performance. As it this version of I Am Legend retreats from being something daring and settles for a conventional Hollywood style ending. And ends up becoming an entertaining movie instead of a classic one.

Too bad.

Too bad, because in my opinion and probably everyone who has read the book, it most definitely would.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

The only thing I can think of would be the difficulty in showing that the others were vampires with only Neville around. Having him directly attacked early in the film would be kind of difficult, plotwise, if you wanted to stay true to the original script. I'm sure they could pull it off, though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't comment on the book, but I would like to know how you can quantify that those who read the book would necessarily agree with your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks