What's new

OFFICIAL HTF REVIEW: PANASONIC PT-AX100U 720p FRONT PROJECTOR (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Will I have to get a separate tuner for TV stations or can I just plug in my Sure West cable connection?

No. You should be able to hook up to the projector just like you did your RPTV. Use the component outputs (if you have them) to feed the projector.

Will it have places to plug in my other stuff, like my preamp/processor, DVD player, etc?

Do you plug your DVD, etc. into your preamp? How do you have it hooked up to your RPTV? I would use the same set again like you did with your Mits. The Panasonic has multiple inputs so you should be able to just plug the video outputs off your preamp right into the video inputs for the Panasonic.

As far as the screen goes. You would have to purchase a separate screen, place it on your wall and then project the image from the Panasonic on to it.

Oh, one other thing, is this one of the things that you'd recommend an extended warranty for. I'm assuming Panasonic offers them.

Extended warrarties are nice to have if you plan on keeping the projector for several years. Make sure that you get one that will cover bulb replacement costs.

Parker

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks, Parker.

I'll go check one out today, so as to figure how I'd set things up strategically in my room, as in where to hang the projector and how to hide wires/cables to my wife's satisfaction. I'll order Carada from the link as well.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Parker is absolutely right. I spent a lot of time comparing screens before starting these reviews and the Carada was easily the equivalent, if not superior, to screens costing 3 to 4 times a much. I have a feeling that when the word gets out to the masses about Carada, they are going to be THE go to source for front projection.

And, of course, they have the BEST customer service I've ever experienced, bar NONE!

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

They looked outstanding. The brilliant white screen didn't diminish shadow detail or black levels at all. Batman Begins on HD DVD was fantastic on this screen... a real sight to behold.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

Wonderful! I was worried how the high gain screen would treat black levels. I have been in contact with David at Carada on screen selection. He even sent me screen material samples to aid in my decision! I have chosen the Brilliant White screen (96" Diagonal) and all I have to do now is decide on 2.35 to 1 or 1.85 to 1 ratio. Most (if not all) DVD's in my collection are 2.35 to 1 but I am slightly worried how my DirecTV will look. When I get that figured out I will seal the deal.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Unless you are planning on using an anamorphic lens, I would highly recommend that you go with a 1.78:1 screen. An anamorphic lens will allow you to utilize the 2.35:1 screen on all material. If you don't use it, then you will be overshooting your screen on anything that isn't in 2.35:1. Wither that, or you'll constantly be zooming and re-aiming the projector to make up for the aspect differences. However, if you use 1.78:1, then you will just have smallish black bars on all of your 2.35:1 material and you won't be overshooting the screen...

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Because the vast majority of 1.85:1 material is resized to 1.78:1. The DVD might say 1.85:1, but that usually isn't the case. Of course, all broadcast hd signals are 1.78:1 as well (unless they are broadcasting something in 2.35:1).

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

Ahh... I did not know that. Is there any advantage to buying the 1.85:1 over the 1.78?

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Not really. Talk to David at Carada about this issue. He was able to make a very compelling case to me regarding his preferences and experiences. I definitely trust his opinion.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I don't see why you would want to buy the narrower screen and have to mess with lenses and remapping the larger sizes onto a smaller screen.

Why not do the 16:9 and just have bars for the other aspects.

We're talking huge 90"+ screens here.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
Yeah...It's just a "purist" thing I guess. Most of my favorite movies are 2.35:1 so I was leaning toward that ratio. When I stop to think about it...the 1.78:1 would be the best (and logical) choice. With that said...I will buy the Panny AX100U and a 96" Carada Criterion Brilliant White screen. CAN'T WAIT!

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
"You have chosen.....wisely"

I will be ordering mine soon. The $1500.00 (with the $400 rebate) is a great deal at the moment. I would like to have a 102" screen, but I am worried about my throw distance. By using the equation in the manual, I should be able to fill a 102" screen, but I want to be sure so I will get the 96". At a sitting distance of 12-15 feet 96" should be more than enough (I hope).

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I'm in the same distance, 14' length, figure head will be at 13 once furniture is in.

I've been told to buy the projector first and see what it throws, then get the screen.

Who are you buying from?

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
My actual throw distance is around 9.5 feet. I hope this will be ok because at this point in construction (99% complete) the projector position is non-movable.

I will be buying from www.projectorpeople.com or www.bhphoto.com

The main selling point for me will most likely be the price of the extended warranty (one that includes replacement bulbs) because the warranty that is included is only 1 year for the projector and 90 days on the lamp.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Readthe new warranty on AX100 issued by panasonic. You can find it on AVS. They have voided the warranty if you use it something like 4 hours a day or 12 hours a week - I didn't read it carefully, but 12 hours a week is a little low to some.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
My lawyer said it actually doesn't matter if they consider the warranty void after such and such time due to Implied Warranties. If you runt the projector 8 hrs a day for month and it breaks they are still required by law (in most states) to replace, repair, or refund. I can't remember exactly what he called it...."Implied Warranty of Merchantability" or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks