What's new

DVD Review *** Official HTF REVIEW & Discussion Thread: Star Wars Trilogy, pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Most of those audio changes sound pretty good to me. Not all, but most.
thumbsup.gif

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
In regards to Ron's post, is it possible we are going to get a surprise early release?
Several times this weekend, the commercial for the trilogy has come on tv, and the voice over guy says "coming Tuesday".
Now, I suppose it's possible that this is some sort of screw up in the commercial that was sent to networks, but since Ron mention some stores having it already.....

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'm not bothered about the changes in the actual quality of the dialogue because it's always been that way. The differences may sound more distinct now, but there's only so much that could've been done without getting the actors to ADR certain lines. And given the negative comments about the work done (years later) by Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach on the longer cut of TGTBATU, I can see why the mixers would stick with what was there. Well, for voices anyway!

This new mix for Star Wars has me excited, even if Ben Burtt's penchant for drowning out the music has reared it's ugly head again. The new effects, new dialogue - it's gonna be a treat to get these DVDs. I've got the originals many times over, so I'm gonna embrace these new versions for what they are and damn well enjoy them!

Oh yeah, one more thing. This is a super-nitpicky question regarding Empire: has the debris of the exploded probe droid been erased from the shot of Han that we see before the droid destructs? It's another shot that you don't notice if you're not looking for it, but I noticed it a while ago and it bugs me.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
quote:When Ben is turning off the tractor beam (I guess this is what he’s doing since the display is no longer in English)

Anyone that has been paying attention to what Ben said he was gonna go do can understand what he's doing. I understood it when I was a toddler, and I doubt I comprehended it from my ability to read.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Great list, Neil!

Coupla thoughts:

The "1993 mix" is generally believed to be the original 6-track 70mm mix dumped down to Dolby Surround. Despite the claims to the contrary on the Definitive LD insert, Burtt has stated that the 97 mix had been the first time he'd mixed Star Wars in 20 years.

Blue is the true color of the Rebel shirts.

The dialogue clarity changes you point out have always been there--it's just ADR switching to production audio and back again. The seams are just more obvious now.

Oh, and Michael, thanks for the review! One note: you mention the 1995 laserdiscs looking different than the Definitive box set. They were the same masters! :)

The audio comparison of Vader choking the rebel that Gruson posted shows much improvement to the editing of the rebel's dialogue. It always sounded very pieced-together, but now much less so.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, I gotta ask. Are there any special THX trailers on this disc since THX started with Star Wars?

Clayton

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
My reply was removed. I'm not sure why. I thought it was a good review and left my reply simple:

Sweet.

Would it have been better to go on and on about the review?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you so much for that through & complete review and making me anticipate the set's arrivial even more! I've never owned the original trilogy before on any format, and, being the only Star Wars fan in the house, I've been confined to P&S VHS rentals that were few and far between. So, this will be a complete revelation for me.

Empire is my favorite, of course.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Good question, Clayton!

...although the THX program itself didn't start with Star Wars. With Jedi they started TAP (Theater Alignment Program) that became (or influenced) THX years later.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The THX trailer question has been asked again and again in the old thread, and I don't know why it is never answered. If it has been answered, forgive me -- but I don't remember anyone ever taking the brief seconds to report on the existence or lack thereof regarding THX trailers on the SW discs.

Steve Bragg

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know where that Vader voice comparison clip is???

I also don't get his criticism of the endor scenes looking not detailed, every other review I have read said Jedi had the best picture quality and praised how great the green and trees on endor looked. I don't get why he sees it differently. A major disconnect with the other reviews.
I also disagree that Ian badly acted and the scene looked too new, it only looked too new cause you aren't used to it, to a first time viewer they would never know, there were hologram scan lines through it and everything. The whole restoration of the DVDs makes the films all look new anyway!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
quote:The huge skeleton you see behind Threepio and Artoo in the desert on Tatooine in SW right after they jettison from the Tantive IV is that of a Krayt Dragon.

Really? I always thought it was a sandworm skeleton, in homage to Frank Herbert.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
quote:I'm somewhat surprised that the most recent film (Jedi) has the "worst" picture quality of the three

I have not seen the dvds so I can't really comment on them, but I have always felt the Return of the Jedi, was the flattest looking of the trilogy. The cinematography seemed a bit more soft and muted.

Star Wars always seemed to have the most deep focus and sharpest photography while Empire seemed to have deeper colors and more textured lighting. Jedi by comparison to the first two films always seemed to be a bit on the slightly mushy side. The appearence of the dvd may not be a fault of the transfer, but just the result of the film's photographic style.

mark*p

Auditioning
Nice Review!

I would have to say Star Wars IV is my fav. Actually, it was my first date with my current wife of 26 years... so it has special meaning! All of them are good. I am having a SW Trilogy Party on Oct 2. It should be fun!

Kain_C

Screenwriter
There is a scene during the assault on the Death Star when either Red Leader or Porkins dies. I am pretty sure it's Red Leader though but anyway, it's a moving shot and you see an explosion of sparks on the surface of the Death Star that is supposed to be the X Wing crashing. You could never actually see a ship crashing a sec before the explosion. I wonder if they fixed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks