What's new

Official HTF HD Review: Midnight Run (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ronsreviews_covers_82876.jpg">

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Your video score is a bit lower than other's I've seen but this may also be according to display size too? Still, it IS a great buddy film that has some real genuine laughs and touching moments. My copy is still in shrinkwrap but plan on this weekend to give it a spin.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
A film with two of my favourite actors: DeNiro and Grodin.

I have yet to see a less than strong performance of Charles Grodin in any movie.

Thanks for this review. I'm afraid I will order it even with the less than stellar video track. :)

Cees

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ouch - I'm afraid to unwrap my copy now. EE and halos on the video? I was hoping in the world of HD we were past these problems.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Some movies rise above their PQ ratings and Midnight Run is one of those movies. A must-buy for me.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's a "must-buy" for me too, although I just watched the DVD a few months ago. I'll probably pick it up next time there's a "dry spell" of titles to buy (Having just got HD DVD, I have a lot of catching up to do). It's funny how this film has held up so well over the years, considering it wasn't a box office smash.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah this is one of those movies I would watch on super 8!

"THESE THINGS GO DOWN!!!"

BTW it cost 30 million to make and made 80 million world wide. Thats a modest hit. It probably did better on video than in the theater.

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
You guys have convinced me. I will have to pick up this release to see what every on is talking about. Thanks to all for the input.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
No. I am not sure why this passed me by when it hit the theaters years ago, but I missed it.

The only plus is, when I buy it in HD, I won't be double dipping.:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I just went to Amazon and 'One Click' ordered it. As it is in stock, I should have it next week.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I thought that the PQ was very good, though obviously not a title with which to show off your system. Does that surprise anyone, seriously? Given the particulars of the production, I think that any short comings are related to the source material, not the transfer. I wasn't expecting 'Serenity', so I'm not unhappy.

And so goes the eternal slogg...at least so far as HD PQ is concerned. The new threshold we've passed is going to show every wart and imperfection; if that isn't come to terms with, a lot of people are going to be needlessly disappointed by the high-def era.

There are going to be many fine (and classic) pictures that get panned by innumerable online "critics" (nobody in particular), who don't seem to understand the principles of film production, with regard to any given title...nor will they understand that many "unfavorable" transfers are going to represent the best that some pictures will ever look...short of being blessed with an unlimited time-table and restoration budget...to obtain results that, in many cases would be only marginally better.

What I'm trying to say is...I wish that more online reviewers would start grading transfers based on what's possible or practical, rather than on some gold standard that amounts to comparing apples to oranges.

Perhaps much of what I'm saying doesn't apply to this particular review. My level of frustration tends to rise with the release of most "older" films. Educating the vast percentage of the public regarding these issues, will be a lot tougher than the quest to help people understand the "black bars".

Unfortunately, we need more Robert Harris's expressing their opinions, but they're in short supply and they don't work cheap.

A penny for your thoughts. Am I over the edge?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
You're in for a treat, Thomas.
One of the first times DeNiro tried being funny and he's excellent.
Grodin always good too.

:)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You cannot possibly be let down by the content of this movie!

As for the PQ issues, I dont think the stuff is source related but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. HD shouldnt have halos and there clearly are quite a few in my viewing, and I'm generally very forgiving of them when they were on DVD.... It was just a shock to see em in HF...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks