Official HTF HD Review: Children of Men (Combo) Recommended

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Sam Posten, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    [​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Actually, December 25, 2006, which is how it qualified for 2006 Oscar nominations. I saw it in a theater in NYC on December 26.

M.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Nice review, well done.

I'd say "adapted" is putting it lightly, pretty much a new story with some shared ideas and names. As such, I found it an enjoyable chase movie with some incredible single-takes.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Nice review. [​IMG]

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten

Sam

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Thank's for that clarification as well Michael. I get all my release info from IMDB and Amazon, not sure why they were incorrect there, they are usually spot on.

7. ppltd

ppltd Producer

It was released to only 16 screens the last week of December to qualify for the Academy Awards. Full release was on 1/5/07 to 1200 + screens.

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Thought it was overrated.
    Didn't like the blood splattered camera on such a long take.

Why do directors like allowing that to happen?

9. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Deliberate, I'm sure. Or at the very least deliberately left in during the editing process. The purpose of the long takes clearly was to give those sequences a war documentary, you-are-there type of feeling. Blood on the lens is something that could happen in that situation.

--Jefferson Morris

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I found it extremely effective. I couldn't help but wonder how many takes some of those scenes took...

11. Jon Moss

Jon Moss Stunt Coordinator

On the contrary, I thought it was one of the most underrated, overlooked films of recent memory. Sure most critics and film geeks liked it, but the average moviegoer was either put off by the subject matter or just didn't "get it".

How it didn't get an Oscar nomination in the "Best Film" category, I'll never know!

I lost track of the number of times my jaw dropped in awe while watching the film, and it takes quite a lot to surprise me nowadays. The forest attack on the car, and the seige on the building in particular are simply stunning in their execution.

12. Rob Young

Rob Young Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was good but over rated as well. Seeing as how I am not a critic or a "film geek who liked it" I would qualify as the avg moviegoer and I did "get it" but just didn't really care.

IMO this is a type of movie where you will come away "wowed" by the story/idea if you have a feel good view of the current world and either are unaware or don't care about the many problems that exist and just live your live only knowing/caring about the things directly around you and what celebrity is the latest to go into rehab or who ahs hooked up with who. I am not one of those people and I clearly recognize all the issues that go on in the world (as in a huge % of the world lives in poverty and/or starving) so when I see something like this (or Crash which IMO is another over rated movie...like the reality of racial tensions should come as some shock) I am not blown away by the jist of the plot since I accept the world isn't this great place.

All the power to people who can view a movie like this or Crash or anything else that tries to show some potential struggle of humanity and come away wowed and think the story is powerful when the truth is the real life world offers far more of a struggle to many. For a person like me the only movies that really can leave a lasting impression are those that are based on real life events like say a Hotel Rwanda (where I shake my head at the ignorance that has occured) or even those that deal with the positive and show someone overcoming huge odds to succeed in a real life story because those do show that while there is a lot of nasty stuff out there some are able to overcome it and succeed and that is nice to see. But these movies that try and show a potential grimm outlook of the world like it should be some shock to me just don't cut it for me.

I realize I'm diff but hey, it is how I am...and this movie to me was quite over rated.

I will say from a technical aspect it was well done but the story just didn't do it for me....and I did "get it" and my I do like many great movies/classics which seems to be the reply people give to those who have not gone orgasmic over it....apparently (at least at another forum) you have no taste in movies if you didn't find CoM to be amazing. Lame people use that childish mentality.

Anyway, to be more on topic of the OP, I think this is a good review of the technical aspects of this disc.

13. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Just wanted to say that the guy above me writes like he's speaking out loud.

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Agreed. And that's just the tone we love here at HTF! Thanks for the great viewpoint!