**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106*

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Michael Reuben, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

More arguing in circles than taking shop, methinks.

2. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

We are not debating the 'war' here , but the results of it, and I don't see anything wrong in debating this issues brought about by the capitulation of Toshiba and HD_DVD.( but I'm not the administration either).

Since you're the one expressing dissatisfaction with this thread, perhaps it is you Sir who has blundered accidentally into the wrong section??

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

I was tempted to reply a few times in the last several days, but have now adopted that setiment. It's all pretty pointless now. I would *not* really consider the few posters "trolls", but it's probably best to treat such posts as such anyway -- I'll gladly engage them in other kinds of discussions of course. And so goes the saying, "Don't feed the trolls".

Let's get back to enjoying movies [​IMG] (or shall we start arguing over whether they should be called "films" instead? [​IMG] )...

Cheers!

_Man_

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Just a suggestion on my part to some members. The format war is over and without a doubt there are some posters still bitter over that outcome. However, with that being said, their bitterness is not going to change the outcome nor will it determine the future of HDM. It's in the hands of the industry to secure the future of HDM which I expect them to do within a short period of time. People still griping about the format war will have no influence on the acceptance of HDM as a mainstream format. The marketplace will make that determination which includes the industry as previously stated and their millions of consumers. Therefore, if I was a member and have tired of reading posts from people that are negative towards HDM, I would simply use the "ignore" function to avoid their postings. It's a function that is a great tool and one that I, as an administrator can't use for obvious reasons, but nobody is stopping you from using it.[​IMG]

Again, HDM acceptance as the way to view HD material is beyond any influences from what's written here or any other internet forum. It's all up to the sellers and buyers now.

Crawdaddy

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I've now moved beyond the war... I want to see this thread hit 100k views! [​IMG]

6. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I thought this thread was done over 5 pages ago. It keeps going in circles. I just got home from work, funny that the posts of today, look just like the ones from the weekend.
    Anyone who wants to add me to ignore, its OK, i understand. [​IMG]

7. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

It's a valid point. Ever since the VHS format caught the interests of consumers, the home video format has always been a mainstay of family entertainment. When Sony created the CD and DVD format I think they had in their minds to introduce a new format without giving consumers time to consume the new media.

Since the I.E., "Format War" is over there remains one problem. Sony wants to replace the Standard DVD format with Blu Ray. Since many homes have barely busted into the DVD format, just getting away from the VHS format, the DVD technology has barely caught up with consumers.

It's not resentment that I have over the High Def format it's resentment over Sony for not giving the SD format time to adjust to the market. Even the Standard Definition format isn't totally compatible with Blu Ray technology. Sony has even admitted to the fact that a majority of 'standard DVD's are compatible for Blu Ray.' This couldn't be further from the truth since only about 80% of DVD's produced now or previously are compatible with Blu Ray players.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What in the world are you talking about????????????

Crawdaddy

9. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Sure, I understand your point. And I´m glad that I milked those Blu-ray BOGO-sales dry before Xmas.. [​IMG]

But I don´t miss the "war talk" (hell, it´s still going on, though) and that stupid s**t surrounding it.

The thing is, that since HD DVD is not totally "dead" (some releases are still coming, old-titles are "on sale" etc), there are certain group of people still "clinging on" to these format war-issues. They´re still "fighting it" in some sense. And yes, with these "Sony is the blame", "Blu-ray is expensive", "HD DVD was superior" etc comments they kinda pull some of us (yes, also myself from time to time) with them.

I´m not saying that "bitter HD DVD supporters" are the blame for the recent debates e.g. in this forum, just that this s**t will never stop if we keep bringing these same, very tired arguments out in the open again and again.. And meaning both "camps". Also myself. I am no saint here.

But, when after (what, May?) there will be no new HD DVD-releases and the format will be offically "dead" (no new releases and no new players), the "last of the mohicans" will finally have to look in the mirror. Is it STILL about the formats - or films?

I mean, the films in 1080p HD won´t go anywhere. The quality won´t go anyewhere. The lossless audio won´t go anywhere. The interactive extras won´t go anywhere. In a matter of fact, we lost very little with the dead of HD DVD, if we look at the issues that we gain (one format, capacity, studios, etc). And yes, the prices are also coming down (not just "next moth" or something), eventually.

So yes, "in" or "out". Eventually that´ll the question. Resistance is just futile.

10. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

I find this whole griping about price to be utterly bizarre. What people seem to be forgetting is that there are a number of manufacturers of Blu-ray players, all of whom want us to buy their product and not their competitors' product. Competition will take its natural course now, as one or other manufacturer will either undercut their rivals, or another will improve their product as a means of standing out from their rivals.

It's always been the same with home entertainment hardware; the product comes out at a relatively high price, in the hope that early adopters (and yes, Alfonso M, to answer your question it is 'adopters' not 'adoptors') will help them cover their initial high costs. If enough of the mass market finds the product to be worth that cost, so much the better. Prices then drop over time to entice more and more of the mass market to 'buy in' to that product, eventually settling at a point where the profit is maximised (i.e. prices drop, sales rise, but prices won't drop if they aren't generating extra sales; this is why I-Pods sell for a certain price, as the demand for them means that cutting prices won't generate extra sales). There is never a "rush to the bottom" as it doesn't make economic sense; it leaves no headroom for competiton, the mainstay of the market.

In short, Blu-ray hardware prices don't HAVE to drop to any particular figure RIGHT NOW that anyone wants to pull out of their hat; the cost of manufacturing players will drop over time as the market grows to accommodate economies of scale in the manufacturing process, and the manufacturers know they will have to cut prices in order to grow the market. If it doesn't happen quickly enough for a particular individual, then fine, vote with your wallet and sit it out until the price drops to a level that sits comfortably with your personal finances and the added value it would give you over DVD.

No-one is being forced to buy into Blu-ray, I certainly haven't yet, as the products on offer don't match my personal checklist of what I want from hi-def optical media (region-free, 7.1 analog outs, ability to play the few DVD-Audios I've got would be nice as well).

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Well, you certainly answered the question of whether or not it was possible to keep FUD-spin going now that the format-war is over. I wasn't sure if it could be done... or at least done well... but your post proves that mind-boggling FUD can be invented in the most unlikely of ways as long as an imaginative mind is able to fabricate statements that bear no relationship to fact-based reality. Impressive!

[​IMG]

12. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

I'm sure blu-ray's feelings won't be hurt if another hd format comes in along side to to offer 1080p and competition to videophiles and the growing population of consumers equipped with HDTVs.

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

What are you talking about? I thought we were talking about the disc-based high-definition format war having come to a close and the new competition frontier between high-def BD and standard-def DVD.

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    And yet the small companies are starting to move to Blu-ray. Blue Underground, Starz, Image, Tartan, etc.

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Criterion has already produced several test-disc Blu-ray titles in-house and is poised to enter the game. Their primary reason for waiting this long was to avoid the complications of a dual-format scenario. Expect to see them embrace BD more quickly than it took them to warm up to DVD (remember how long it took them to officially embrace DVD? And then remember how long it took them to finally support 16x9 anamorphic!?!).

16. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Exactly, there are brand new BD releases coming from small companies for $10. Can't be that expensive to make.

17. Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt Stunt Coordinator

Alfonso that is my pleasure. You seem to be the one taking this thing personally how about getting some sun light and letting it go? All I see from you is antagonism towards people for going choosing blu ray, why? Blu ray Won, your arguments are old and have been rehashed over and over again.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I've read an awful lot on this forum about the backward compatibility of HD hardware with SD discs and haven't read much, if anything, about SD discs not being able to play on Blu-ray players. Mark: as Robert asks, what are you talking about? What is the 20% of SD-DVDs that are incompatible with Blu-ray players?

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    So should I be playing SD discs on my HD-A2 instead of my PS3? [​IMG]

(I'm asking about the upconversion quality; not any foolish mumbo-jumbo about SD incompatibility with BD players.)

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

For those complaining about lack of BOGO sales, Amazon has a sale right now on a number of BDs. In some cases, up to 55% off.....which is equivalent to a BOGO in many cases. Not a bad deal considering this time of year is slow for sales in general.