What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Now that a number of companies have started to ship new Blu-ray console player chipsets that will dramatically reduce the cost of console players, I expect possibly as early as September 2008 Profile 1.1 players dropping under US$200 and Profile 2.0 players dropping under US$250; these price levels are the "tipping point" that will convince all those people who have been buying widescreen TV's with HDMI inputs in the past two years to finally buy a Blu-ray player. Besides, what better way to show off your HDTV set than playing the Blu-ray version of Cars (the video quality of this Blu-ray release is so amazingly sharp you could literally see ALL the details of the decals on the various animated cars, every blade of grass, and even every pebble of loose gravel on the track! :eek: ).

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

I think that the real key...what is really needed to ease the pain, is a modestly priced dual format player. The HD crowd really need this, to reduce their feeling of having "lost", and speed their first purchase and transition into BD software. Perhaps Toshiba can be of help in this area.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Which is fair enough. But if I was buying into BD I'd be looking at newer titles first (i.e. the ones I wouldn't be able to play!) before looking at replacing older titles (i.e. the ones I could play!)

So getting into BD is pointless at this point in time for anybody outside of Region A that remotely cares about proper presentation (i.e. stuff like burned-in captions!)

Plus BD 2.0 ain't ready. So there's ANOTHER reason to wait!

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau

My sentiments exactly. I have absolutely no doubt that if you took 100 people...anybody, even members of this forum and showed them samples of movies from both formats on identical systems while mentioning that one format sells for $150 and the other format $400, I contend that close to 100% would elect to buy the $150 format. The fact that the $400 format has won speaks volumes about the politics, greed and travesties you mentioned in your eloquent post.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I owned an HD DVD player for a week...didnt like it. Skipped on DVDs and HD DVDs, it was built cheap, and the first HD DVD i bought was scratched to hell. Oh wait, Blu-ray has scratch resistant coating, the player is built like like a brick, and its nice to look at. Most of all, it plays everything i throw at it! Yea, it was worth the extra 300, for me anyway.
The coin has 2 sides.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Probably, although I was just trying to return a couple of movies to Amazon that I had not yet opened only yo find I missed the window by less than two days. I figure at this point I ought to make my collection as Blu as possible.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Ugh, I made the mistake of reading Bill Hunt's comments on this recent turn of events and I could practically feel his hard on through my computer screen. For a guy that I once really respected he's become beyond insufferable in this whole thing. :rolleyes

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Can we please just stop with the anti-Bill Hunt rhetoric? If people are reading anything into his report of 2/16, it's due to their own bias, not his.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
All they need to do is get an SD PVR (a lot cheaper than a TV, in most cases) but that's not what's happening in the stores (I believe the NYTimes had an article about how sales people are lying to customers and telling them they MUST buy a new TV).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Well, excuse me for stating my opinion. I'm not an HD-DVD "fanboy" by any stretch(I have more Blu-Ray discs than HD-DVDs), but I still feel he's been completely obnoxious over the course of this format war. End of story.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with my statement, but I just had to get it off my chest.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
At this point, I think some people are so sick of the format war talk (and the constant bitchfest that it has entailed) that even reading anything about it is starting to alienate people because it's just all been said a million times. Now that it's basically over, I'm hoping that everyone on message boards and websites will let it rest, bury the hatchet and everything can go back to 'normal'.

That being said, I'm sure many people will harbor grudges against other posters and websites for years to come due to the format war and all the trash talk it wrought.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

Yeah, sure, Hd-dvd’s audio and video is better than what 99.9% of population of the world is capable of duplicating in their home’s setup now or in the future, and even if they gave a hoot about “Lossless” and “transparency” in the first place, I personally doubt that many of them will ever invest the big bucks or spend the time and dedication required to reach that level of excellence..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks