What's new

*** Official HTF HD Formats Comparison Thread *See Post 957, p. 32* (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Yes, the XBox is dropping in price, and the new 65ns systems should be out by the holiday season with maybe even another price cut at that time, but both systems are going to have some killer games hit the marketplace. At this time, the game line up for the XBox looks stronger on paper, but time will tell. As far as Halo 3 selling more copies that the total PS3 sales, I suppose that is possible. What I see Halo 3 doing for the XBox 360 sales is converting many of the original XBox owners who have not yet committed to this generation of gaming systems into 360 owners. There are currently millions of potential new 360 owners among them.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

No informed BD proponent has ever suggested that 100% of PS3s would be used for Blu-ray Disc movie playing/collecting.

The notion has been:

1. early on, a portio of HD enthusiasts bought the PS3 primarily for BD movie use as at the time it was the cheapest, offered the best-AV quality, and the best path for firmware upgradeability (the latter two are still mostly true).

2. many (not all, not necessarily even most) gamers who purchased the PS3 without BD-movie use in mind might, over time, gradually get into the BD market as their curiosity or interest in HD movie media developed over time.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian

Maybe some of you have more disposable income than me, but I don't understand the repurchasing of newly released movies.

Blu-ray or HD DVD is already a more expensive format, so my wife and I decided early on that any new purchases would be in Blu-ray (the format we own), but we would not repurchase anything we already own on DVD.

I think many people are in the same boat and use similar reasoning which could account for the "disappointing" sales for The Matrix Trilogy and the first two Pirates films in their HD media releases.

Day and Date releases are the key to jump starting HD media sales, which the 300 release clearly demonstrated.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes, exactly, PS3 exclusives are much much better comapre to Xbox360 games line up...

Marek.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think a fair number of people will buy them on SD DVD also just so they can play them in the van, or in a kids room. Or so they don't have their teens and preteens messing with the very expensive HD equimpment.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I wouldn't be surprised if 40% of them don't even know what blu-ray is. It also wouldn't surprise me if those 40% are in a teenagers room hooked up to a 19inch tv.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Considering the market size at the time of release I wouldn't call sales of either Pirates or The Matrix disappointing.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Do what I do. Sell your old DVD on amazon.com. It's easy, the money goes right into your bank account (no need to deal with requesting payment), and you just drop the old DVD into a bubble mailer and off it goes.

You can get an average of $5-10 dollars proffit on discs in good condition. That makes it less painful to upgrade to High-def when the title "warrants it". Then you can buy the new Blu-ray Disc used off Amazon as well to help off-set the cost difference a bit.

Don't sell yourselves short if you can use sales of your old DVDs to help fund your new high-def collection!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I sell mine to Bookman's, a local new and used bookstore, for store credit. On the rare occasions when I sell a DVD.

Doug

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
David, re your post #48:

Are you referring to putting the discs up for sale yourself via Amazon Marketplace? Or "FBA"--Fulfillment By Amazon?

I've been using Wherehouse.com for years (basically local so shipping to and fro is fast; in store credit that I turn right around and use for other goodies) upon upgrading to remastered CDs, DVD-A, SACD, SE DVDs and now high def. But I'm disappointed in their rate of payment for pre-owned HD ($6 for my Fugitive HD DVD? No ma'am.). Have you sold much high def on Amazon (stuff you bought and no longer want for whatever reason) and has their pricing been attractive / at least as good as SD?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

I'm talking about setting up a market place account. It's painless and easy... within one evening I had set up an account, loaded titles (you key in the bar-code so you don't have to search and worry about multiple versions of DVDs like the 10 versions of the Mummy Returns). By the next morning I had sold over $100 of DVDs.

Again, my experience is that with "like new" DVDs, I can get between $5 and $10 profit on most titles. On DVDs where there's a glut of used listings, not so easy. But most movies sell quickly, and listing them is 100% free.

Amazon collects payment from the user and posts payment to your account, and then once a week or so does a direct-deposit into your bank. It couldn't be simpler from a sellers-point-of-view.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I generally either trade mine into DVD Planet, or I sell mine via half.com. I've been cannabilizing the hell out of my SD DVD collection for over a year now.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Paul, me too!

Funny: I amassed that huge (2000+) collection of DVDs as my "movies for life" library of film. Yet once I got the projector I started to become disenchanted with many DVDs which were not true-to-film in appearance, and once I got Blu-ray I couldn't believe how *true to film* HD can really be. Now I'm looking forward to my new 1080p projector! Did I mention lossless audio? Thank-you Disney and Sony (every BD has it). Warner... get with the program!

In any case, I never would have beleived that I'd be selling off so many of my "favorite films" on DVD so soon. Even many that aren't yet announced for HD! But I know that now that I've tasted 1080p, there are many films that I won't want to watch again until I see them *THE RIGHT WAY*... looking like the film print that the director took such care to make. For titles I can "wait to see" until they appear in HD, it's time to recoup some of those costs now.

(p.s. of course there are DVD titles that are near/dear to my heart that won't leave my library until their HD counterparts appear on the shelf)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I actually haven't sold any of my SD DVDs. In fact I bought Rio Bravo and The Searchers on both HD DVD and SD DVD. I wanted the cool set with the lobby cards and the comic books. Plus I watch them on SD players now and then.

Doug

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
This was exactly my same experience and thinking when I did the same thing. The other thing that pushed me was Planet Earth being released, that pushed me into HD in general, with my 360 and that sale making it the most reasonable choice.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

Yeah - too bad Bluray doesn't do COMBOS! Your point is exactly the reason I love my combo discs. :)

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

I wasn't suggesting that all people will repurchase the other two films, rather that it was more likely that someone who owns a bluray player would make the purchase of At World's End on their new format and not worry about the fact that the other two are in SD (if that is even the case for them). And if they do some kind of deal for the 3 films - which I'm sure they will - then I'm certain a good portion of those who don't have the other 2, will make the purchase at that time. Heck - it will be close enough to the Holidays - they might get it as a present.

By the way - my wife and I said in the beginning that we wouldn't repurchase any of our SD-DVDs with HDs - but we've already done so for 5 films - heck when you get a good deal on the discs and sell off the old one, you're looking at something like $5-10 for the upgrade. Not too shabby!

Cheers,

Jason

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I agree completely with the purchasing of titles. I have not purchased any titles that I own on DVD and am focusing on titles that I do not own and all new releases are in HDDVD. The only titles that I WILL rebuy down the road are Gladiator, LOTR, SPR, Shrek, Pixar stuff.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Not a chance. Might be equal, but Sony has lost the luster it had with the PS2. Most exclusive games studios to the PS2 have moved on to non-exclusive status.

If you look at the line-up of likely to be released this year games, Sony is going to have a hard time matching the 360's game selection. Next year might be different.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Sony hasn't "lost" anything. Higher development costs have leveled the playing field somewhat regarding exclusives, but I would take Sony's first and second party developers over MS's any day of the week.

Of course, I'm also a PC gamer so I can get most of the 360 "exclusives" anyway... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks