What's new

Official HTF HD-DVD Review: Born on the Fourth of July (1 Viewer)

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
ronsreviews_covers_83385.jpg">

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice review Gary. I haven't seen this in a LONG time. Thanks for your review....got to check this one out. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks, Gary.

I'm not going to double-dip on this one - because I don't own the SDVD. This was always one of the films I hesitated about. I'm ambivalent about Stone and I'm not a particular fan of one of the main actors, if you know what I mean.

But your description of the quality of the release decided it - I'm going to order this HD DVD.
Too bad Platoon isn't released on HD (yet?? that would be a double-dip for me).

Cees

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
Thanks Cees

Cruise is good in this one for sure, I have always thought he was wonderful strictly as a actor and in every film I have seen of his, but I know what you mean :D

Platoon was on all the blu-ray release lists at launch time, it will come from MGM via Fox and if I were a betting man I think we may see it before Christmas ;)

-Gary

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
(1) Hoping it will come true.
(2) Hoping I will have my combi-player by then.

I have to agree that I've never seen a bad performance by Tom Cruise in any movie. And, indeed, I meant what you knew what I meant. :)

Cees

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This disc looks beautiful. Youre right on about how this movie was filmed Gary.

We had that bad EE disc for so long and I didnt even get a chance to watch the SD rerelease before grabbing this one.

A favorite of mine, that finally has gotten the presentation it deserves.

(And Im glad I wont have to rebuy it again - after owning it on VHS,LD and 2 DVDs)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Gary,

Can you elaborate a little more on the audio? You say it is excellent but only give it 3/5. I have the DTS DVD and was wondering if you (or anyone) have compared it to the DTS version? This is a title I'd like to get but audio is every bit as important as video is to me.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
Audio is very good when it needs to be, dialog is also good, I noticed a few instances of straining or "tinny" dialog, the score and effects are wonderful (during war scenes for example), I took it down from a 4 that I was going to give it first because of the few small problems

this was a DTS DVD release, I forgot about that, I never owned it to compare though, sorry

-Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks