Official HTF HD-DVD Review: Born on the Fourth of July

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Gary Murrell, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Nice review Gary. I haven't seen this in a LONG time. Thanks for your review....got to check this one out. [​IMG]

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Thanks, Gary.

I'm not going to double-dip on this one - because I don't own the SDVD. This was always one of the films I hesitated about. I'm ambivalent about Stone and I'm not a particular fan of one of the main actors, if you know what I mean.

But your description of the quality of the release decided it - I'm going to order this HD DVD.
    Too bad Platoon isn't released on HD (yet?? that would be a double-dip for me).

Cees

4. Gary Murrell

Thanks Cees

Cruise is good in this one for sure, I have always thought he was wonderful strictly as a actor and in every film I have seen of his, but I know what you mean [​IMG]

Platoon was on all the blu-ray release lists at launch time, it will come from MGM via Fox and if I were a betting man I think we may see it before Christmas [​IMG]

-Gary

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    (1) Hoping it will come true.
    (2) Hoping I will have my combi-player by then.

I have to agree that I've never seen a bad performance by Tom Cruise in any movie. And, indeed, I meant what you knew what I meant. [​IMG]

Cees

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

This disc looks beautiful. Youre right on about how this movie was filmed Gary.

We had that bad EE disc for so long and I didnt even get a chance to watch the SD rerelease before grabbing this one.

A favorite of mine, that finally has gotten the presentation it deserves.

(And Im glad I wont have to rebuy it again - after owning it on VHS,LD and 2 DVDs)

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Gary,

Can you elaborate a little more on the audio? You say it is excellent but only give it 3/5. I have the DTS DVD and was wondering if you (or anyone) have compared it to the DTS version? This is a title I'd like to get but audio is every bit as important as video is to me.

8. Gary Murrell

Audio is very good when it needs to be, dialog is also good, I noticed a few instances of straining or "tinny" dialog, the score and effects are wonderful (during war scenes for example), I took it down from a 4 that I was going to give it first because of the few small problems

this was a DTS DVD release, I forgot about that, I never owned it to compare though, sorry

-Gary