What's new

*** Official HEREAFTER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Hereafter". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Hereafter" should be posted to the [COLOR= rgb(68,112,140)]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
so for anyone that has seen this, did Matt Damon's character

lose his psychic abilities once he found his true love? That's what I got out of the ending.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't make that jump with the ending, but he did view his future with this woman.

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

...he did view his future with this woman.

That's what I got out of it too. Since they don't specifically say, I think it's fair for people to interpet it however they want though.

Overall, this was a very solid movie and you might see it in Oscar contention at the end of the year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TravisR

That's what I got out of it too. Since they don't specifically say, I think it's fair for people to interpet it however they want though.

Overall, this was a very solid movie and you might see it in Oscar contention at the end of the year.

Which is exactly what Eastwood would probably want to happen as a director/story teller. I just think they both found in each other, a person that could understand and accept the other person's experiences. With him, his curse as he calls it and with her, the near death experience.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought the premonition was interesting. Marie was essentially "made for George" after her near death experience, which seemed to quell whatever anguish George goes through when he connects with the afterlife. Since she's already had her taste of it, and does not fear it, there is no anxiety that gets passed on to George as it does with others. I wish there had been a little more set up to that moment though, as what we'd seen of George's psychic moments up to then was very different, with no indication that he could foresee his own future. Perhaps if he'd had such a moment with Melanie, rather than the overlong flirting / foreplay session in cooking class.

As someone who likes ambiguity and is more of a skeptic, I didn't like the well-wrapped ending, but understand that it's pretty consistent with the rest of the film. I didn't think it was necessary for George to end up with Marie. In fact I was sort of hoping Melanie would come back somehow, as it seemed like an awful lot of time to spend with a likable character just to say, "George's life sucks hard."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks