What's new

*** Official HELLBOY 2: The Golden Army Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Guillermo del Toro is back to direct but the sequel has moved from Columbia Picture to Universal Pictures. del Torro has mentioned how he'll have much more freedom now with the studio switch. The release date has been set August 1 2008.

(Mod note - Release date was moved up to July 11, 2008)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it'll be an improvement over the first movie, which I do like very much but featured a lot of X-Men type aspects to the presentation of the BPRD that don't fit the spirit of Mignola's comics.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the first quite a bit, being a fan of both Mignola and del Toro. Looking forward to the second.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone watch the animated film? Story by Mignola and with the film actors doing the voices.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the animated film was good. More faithful to the comics in its take on the characters and Mignola's style, probably because Mignola seemed to have a more direct hand in it. Has some pacing problems and Liz's character design isn't to my tastes but nothing too seriously wrong. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel (and hopefully a third movie if things go right).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I walked into a comic book store for the first time in prob 6 or 7 months on monday.

Picked up the new Hellboy story as well as the last 2 TPBs Ive missed.

Looking foward to the trailer.

John Doran

Screenwriter
from that picture, it looks as though they're including johann in the film; i wonder if they'll have roger the homonculus, too...that'd be pretty cool.

oh, and i should also point out that the BPRD stories are excellent, too, and well worth reading - especially the black flame and the universal machine.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
" i wonder if they'll have roger the homonculus, too...that'd be pretty cool."

He can be seen in the background of the first film.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm looking forward to this. I liked the first film, but like most first films based on comics, it seemed to pre-occupied with settting up everything. After the 2 cartoons, this could be pretty good, the toons were great.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I love Hellboy, and liked the first film alright. I think the teaser for HB2 is fairly dazzling, so color me pretty excited. All of the exposition nonsense is out of the way...on to the craziness :)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Everybody seems focused on the other comic book movie coming out, and this one is being neglected. :)

It's getting really great reviews. I haven't seen the first, but the visuals make me want to see this sequel.

~T

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Yea, it seems the word of mouth is really great for this although I think it might just get lost in the shuffle at the Box Office. With The Dark Knight next weekend, I can't see this sticking around for too long especially since the first film was a small hit but by no means anything fairly large. Were DVD sales that good?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not one of those guys who are so worried about a movie's gross that they must be stockholders in the company but I'm betting that Hellboy II won't do very well at the box office. That doesn't mean that I think it'll be a bad movie, I just think it'll be one comic book movie too many for the general public to really get into (especially when it's not from the only two comic companies that the public has heard of).

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Man, I hope you're wrong but fear you're right. I'm looking forward to this one more that TDK, because I always eager to see anything GDT directs.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I don't see it lighting the box office on fire, but I think it could fair decently. Maybe open around $25 - 30 mill. Maybe end up doing about what the first film did. The main problem is that the first movie didn't really connect with audiences (heck, it didn't even make that much money to really warrant a sequel!) so I don't think it's got that much of a built in base aside from fans of the comic.

I was thinking about seeing this tomorrow morning, but Saturday will probably be more like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks