What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S/SORCERER'S STONE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

I was wondering. Is the Harry Potter phenomenon a sinister conspiracy by parents everywhere? Instead of children asking for toys and such for Christmas, will children across the world now be asking their parents if they can go to boarding school instead?!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Okay, here's my quick review. :)
First note: I haven't read the books.
I enjoyed the film quite a bit. Best kid's movie (suitable for adults too!) since E.T..
Speaking of E.T., my local cinema was the fullest I've ever seen it since E.T.. Normally there are only a handful of people present (goodness only knows how they stay in business), but I would say it was at 95% capacity for a matinee screening of Harry Potter.
Performances were all solid. I was delighted to see that there was no Americanization of this decidedly British product.
patriot.gif
The young talent was especially good, especially Harry's sidekicks (played by Rupert Grint and Emma Watson). Alan Rickman is at his villainous best (with a twist), but doesn't ham it up too much. Other familiar faces include John Cleese, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis, and...aw heck, just read the imdb cast list for yourself - all top-notch, instantly recognizable, A-list British actors.
The music: John Williams. 'nuff said.
icon14.gif

The direction, by Chris Columbus, is typical of him (slick, professional but nothing special). Special effects were excellent (and not over-used).
As for the script/plot - no complaints from me. It cracks on at a good pace; never dull (even though this is a 2.5hr movie). Ron Weasley (Grint) gets the best lines.
Highly recommended. Roll on the DVD!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I was delighted to see that there was no Americanization of this decidedly British product.
Speaking as a patriotic American, I feel the same way (and never had any trouble with the British aspects of the books). :)
Nice review, Philip. :)
------------------

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on November 11, 2001 at 02:01 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
"She NEEDS to sort out her priorities"
Adam,
It does open on the 16th, but across the UK this weekend have been advance screenings which helped the movie take in over 2 million in advance ticket sales alone.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 11, 2001 at 02:30 PM]

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
I need a few spoilers before I get my crack at it on the 16th...anyone wanna help me?
I've read the book, and many of the reviews. I want to know if any of the following scenes are in/out of the movie. These scenes are ones I've been suspect might be cut or watered down, and I don't want to be in a frame of mind to know what to expect. The questions alone may spoil, so I'll black them out.
Spoiler:
1. How much of the Weasley brothers do we see? Is the "Christmas Day" scene in there?
2. I know the Troll sequence is in. But what about the prelude to it, where Hemione runs into the bathroom crying after overhearing the kids exlaiming that she has no friends?
3. The end of "potion puzzle" scene, where Hermione hugs Harry and says her little inspirational speech, Harry getting a little embarassed.
4. Dumbledore filling in all the "information gaps" to Harry in the hospital. I've read so far this scene is watered down - a lot?

Thanks to any and all who answer me! :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Dan, in answer to all your spoiler questions (though not all with spoiler answer I should add;
1)
Spoiler:Very little of the Weasleys. Cute little nod to Ginnys upcoming infatuation with Harry in the Platform 9 and 3 quarters scene which is the only real scene we see the Weasley twins goofing around. Percy is there, again briefly but gets some dialogue...
The Christmas Day scene exists only between Harry and Ron in the movie
2) Yes...to an extent.
3) No.
4) See my review about this.
frown.gif

My review can be read here
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 11, 2001 at 03:19 PM]

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I started reading Dan's review of the film but had to stop. Even though I have read the book, I am staying away from any reviews that compare the book to the film. I don't want to go into the film with a bunch of negative thoughts as to what was left out from the book. For me, it will be better experiencing this first-hand.
By the way, don't forget the 1-hour special tonight on NBC.
~Edwin

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard Peeves is totally eliminated? Can you confirm Dan?
Great review, I'm sure I'll be in the same boat. I have such a love for the book that there is no way it can meet my expectations, yet I can't not like it, its Harry Potter!

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dan(UK)!
I wish I could go into the movie without baggage, but I don't seem to be the kind of person who can do it (tried with previous ones).
As a result, as I read the book, I imagined what a studio would do to it in its film version. Even keeping the essence and such of the book would still mean editing...so I did my own little speculation on what I expected to be chopped, watered down, or changed.
Almost all of the scenes I found myself wondering about ended up being character development scenes, (coincidentaly?). Maybe I've picked up on motion picture habits of jetisoning character development before other things. Anyway, I then read Dan(UK)'s review, and it appears the main thing lacking is just that. And some of the most endearing scenes will not be there...or at least, not so endearing.
For me, although there's some initial disappointment, I'd be far more so if I was taken by surprise by "missing elements." Look at it instead like this: Since I'm not the type capable of leaving my baggage at home in these things, I try to get some of my general wondering shored up so I can focus on what the film is trying or supposed to be, rather than sitting there, wondering throughout it "where's this, where's that?
Thanks again, Dan(UK)
wink.gif

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
I've got to second RobertR's thoughts about the potential "Americanization" of the movie. As an American I feel no insult whatsoever when someone talks about wanting to preserve the original British aspects of the novels. It's basically the same as the arguement for OAR, in my view. The artist's original work is paramount. In fact, despite owning all of the American versions, I've recently ordered the boxset from amazon.co.uk so I can read the original versions. How better to enjoy them I figure.
In regard to Dan's review, thank you. It is appreciated. While I'm disappointed about deviations from the books (yet realistic that they're necessary) I've got high hopes for this adaptation. I've got my tickets for Friday and look forward to seeing for myself the job Columbus and company have done.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I've heard Peeves is totally eliminated? Can you confirm Dan?
Yes, gone indeed. Not even a fleeting reference remains. Columbus said he was not happy with the final design of Peeves but that he will be in Chamber of Secrets.
You're so right saying if you're a fan you can't not like it, that's so true. I can put aside the flaws I found for the simple fact that I had a damn smile on my face from the Warner logo at the end right through to the curtains close after the credits.
quote: And some of the most endearing scenes will not be there...or at least, not so endearing.
To a point, maybe. There IS some very striking stuff that that had me taken aback, namely:
Spoiler:Seeing Voldermort killing Harry's mother and the scene where Harry sees his Parents in the mirror. While only the latter is in the book, both scenes gave me the chills and I found them to be very moving
I know in my heart the material in discussion here, removed from the final cut of the movie, was written and shot. It makes me happy inside KNOWING they did it but were ultimately forced by the preassures of time and money (instead of bad judgement on Kloves and Columbus' part) to cut it down. It was inevitable.
It's not really anyone's fault, I'd LOVE to see the scenes on the DVD, maybe even an extended cut on DVD, but even as is, I find the movie an utter delight.
Let me add something else, only once or twice did I think to myself DURING the movie "where's that bit?" Whilst watching the feature, it had me, I didn't care, I was so excited by it all. Only after did I think more about what was missing, and it really doesn't bother me to some HUGE extent because the much of it (Snapes background for instance) can be furthered in the sequels which will work fine. I plan to see it at least two more times before Christmas, probably three.
Did I mention how bloody perfect the chees scene is? Oh man! :)
Dan (UK)
PS: It was announced the advance showings across the UK for Saturday alone made a record taking of £3.4 million beating what Episode One took here in the span of two day (£2.9 million).
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 12, 2001 at 06:40 AM]

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the movie, and never read the book... but after the Ebert & Roeper Potter-love-fest this weekend, I am interested in seeing this thing. They had an extended review of it, and they both just LOVED this movie. The studio could not have been happier, it was a 5-minute free advertisement basically. :)
/Mike

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Dan:
Spoiler:Goblet of Fire casts significant doubt on whether it was Voldemort who killed Harry's parents, or someone else.
So I found that scene you're talking about rather interesting.
------------------
[Edited last by RobertR on November 12, 2001 at 04:26 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Indeed, Robert, and I'm just telling you what they have in the movie. Sure enough...
Spoiler:...it's little but an evil figure in black robes in the sequence
...so we'll see.
Dan (UK)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Robert: I've just read Goblet of Fire and I'm curious why you say
Spoiler:that it casts doubt on whether Voldemort was the true killer of Harry's parents. If there was anything there to indicate that, I missed it. I mean, Harry's parents DID come out of Voldemort's wand, so if someone else killed them somehow they had to have used his wand.
-Tom
[Edited last by Tom Ryan on November 12, 2001 at 05:44 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread