What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S/SORCERER'S STONE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Gaaaaah! I hate how America has to be coddled by publishers and movie houses. I originally never realized that "Mary Poppins" was from a book, but I still loved (and still do as does my daughter now) the movie. Americans probably don't know where the Jabberwocky came from, but they flocked to see the Gilliam...wait a minute...er... Mulan...there is a character from Chinese Myth (I am sure raped and pillaged in Disney version) but still, some people went to see it. Moulin Rouge is as foreign a concept to Americans, who probably still think the place never existed (nor that Toulouse-Latrec was a real person, not just a hip John Leguizo character) but still, enough people went to see it that it was "a hit" by all but James Cameron standards.
Those points aside, JK's books are well written and wouldn't need to be re-written. Hell, her target audience isn't the ignorant J6P's of history, but teens and pre-teens who are supposed to be learning new things. Sheesh. Here's hoping that the DVD has the original dialogue included...but not holding breath.
Grumble grumble grumble...
Phil
------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Don't forget one thing in all of this 'language difference' business: J.K. Rowling was 100% in favor of it...

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Don't forget one thing in all of this 'language difference' business: J.K. Rowling was 100% in favor of it...
Mike, not entirely true. Rowling admits she wished she'd really fought to retain the original title overseas as well as some of the phrases in original.
She's said in interviews numeorus times that she gave in simply because her want to get some incarnation of her book out in the US was so great it's just a battle she felt she could not win at the time. Whilst I am sure she doesn;t have sleepless nights over it, she has gone on to say that she regrets her descision and lack of confidence in herself to fight for what she wanted nevertheless.
Dan (UK)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I've just read a story over at Dark Horizons indicating that while Rik Mayall's scenes as Peeves were all shot and completed they're NOT in the movie!
furious.gif

Dan (again)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Perhaps the rumors are false, but his voice HAS changed now. You can hear it in interviews. Happened really early for him, too. He just turned 12!
My voice didn't begin to change until I was well into 13. Hopefully he won't grow into a "weird" phase so quickly that he can't do Azkaban (and that he is able to, perhaps, film all 7).
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the rumors are false, but his voice HAS changed now.
I noticed that as well... I found it amusing, because on the BBC Newsround(sp?) interview, his voice was deeper than the (adult male) reporter's :)! It's interesting that the actor who plays Ron is a year or two older than Dan, yet hasn't hit puberty yet.
Oh well, thus is the problem with child casting for such long range productions.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I do not understand what the problem is. Every book covers one year at Hogwarts, and every year Harry gets older. In the fourth book he is dating (kind of). I do not believe the books ever actually mention when Harry hits puberty.
I think for this series of movies it is an advantage using child actors. Harry Potter gets older, taller, stockier throughout the books. And guess what? Daniel Radcliffe will also grow older before our eyes. Of course there are distinct advantages of using CGI characters. Just look at Jar Jar Binks ... just brilliant and he never has to change.
Chris
laugh.gif

TheoGB

Screenwriter
There is no more understanding of the word 'philosopher' over here than in the U.S. The reason for the change in title is (IMO) down to the habit of the U.S. media underestimating their public. The publishers probably just didn't like how many syllables were in philosopher and it's meaning and decided to make a 'dumming down' change.
As stated, JKR was just so glad to see her work published in the U.S. she didn't contradict what they wanted. Shame really.
I'm certainly hoping Warners give us an identical disc on both sides of the Atlantic as I really don't want to have to import a version with 'sorcerer' all over it.
frown.gif

------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
quote: Just look at Jar Jar Binks ... just brilliant and he never has to change.[/quote]
Don't joke! Is anyone else SLIGHTLY worried how they're going to handle Dobby and the other house elves in the sequels? I love him and the elves in the books, but the little guy has big "tennis ball" eyes, "bat like ears" and a "pointy nose" and a funny way of speaking. They'll have to be real careful to avoid falling into Binks territory.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 02, 2001 at 06:25 AM]

ChristopherS

Second Unit
TheoGB,
I will be quite happy if the DVD I can buy here in Canada is titled Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I see no reason to buy the dumbed down version if I do not have to. As for people not understanding what "philosopher" means in the context of the books; I do not think it is always necessary to search out the lowest common denominator. If a person is unsure about a word they can do a little research (I own the Oxford dictionary - it explains exactly what the stone is in two or three lines and took about 30 seconds of effort).
Chris

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Hell, they could have even put a brief title card at the beginning of the movie with the definition.
philosopher: fil-LAH-sah-fer (n)
etc...
The same could even have been done for the book. I doubt it would have diminished sales any. If a book becomes popular more people start to buy it no matter what the title is.
[Edited last by Bill Buklis on November 02, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Do all philosophers have an 's' in them?
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info on the title change - I did not know all that.
The info I had was that she had agreed to changing the name (and some of the passages, all minor really) to achieve a greater effect over here.
Live and learn!
Mike

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
While Time magazine doesn't seem to be overly thrilled with the movie, I caught an interview with J.K Rowling on TV yesterday and (despite always looking somewhat miserable) she seemed genuinely pleased with the results. I believe the premiere is tomorrow in London.
Dan (UK)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ron,
Great review! I am glad you enjoyed Harry Potter a lot. I do have one question for you. Have you started reading the books yet? I want to hear your opinion on how the film compares to the book.
-Dean-
(Can't wait until Nov. 16th)
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on November 03, 2001 at 06:19 AM]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dean,
Haven't even bought the books.
I don't have time to read. I am going to
have to find that time amongst my day job,
this forum, and reviewing DVDs.
I think I can pull it off during my breaks
at work.
I'll try to start book 1 before Christmas.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks