What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S/SORCERER'S STONE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That review was rushed.
I wanted to be the first up with it (I saw it
with a rather large audiance), and I opted to do
a slimline review.
Over the past 2 days I have added a few more
comments about the film to the review, including
the creatures that appear in the film and the
rather subdued role of Alan Rickman.
Still thinking about this movie a few days later,
I am still very happy with it. It's a really well-made
film that carefully balances its effects and story.
It moves slowly, but never becomes dull. The effects
are spectacular, but never become the dominant factor
of the film (unlike Phantom Menace).
It's a very quaint movie -- lots of English charm.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone ??
It will also be itneresting to see if the differences in the differences in teh ENglish and American versions of the books also apply to the films - things like "crumpets" in the English version becoming "muffins" in the American version.
There were quite a few other changes as well, all of which gained a lot of press discussion at the time of teh release of the fourth book.
And thanks Ron - the Vanity Fair pictures had whetted my appetite (a wonderful gift from a travelling friend) but your review means I'll start searching for early screenings here.
Christine

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yes, they shot alternate takes where they say "Sorcerer" for the US market and "Philosopher" for the UK/rest of world. This upsets me since I don't like PAL speed up on movies on DVD so when Potter DVD time comes I'll be stuck with the "Sorcerer's" version (and it's foolish to think warner will use branching to offer both on DVD). D'oh, unless of course it's true Canada gets the original titled version, in which case I am on easy street since 90% of my R1 purchases come via Canada, however, I thought they too are stuck with Sorcerer?
Kind of upset they could not battle to retain Philosopher worldwide for the movie. Rowling has stated her one regret is not fighting to keep the title for the US market. I remain to call it by it's original and intended title whatever the case.
Dan (UK)
PS: Ron, a lot more Snape to come in the sequels.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 29, 2001 at 06:43 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Why did they change the title anyway? Are there no philosophers in the US?
And to ask again - what will the rating be for Harry Potter?

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. I give up
wink.gif

I never had any intention to read any of the books because I was of the opinion that they were children's books.
This thread however totally psyched me. I will be leaving the house in 5 min. to pick up the British copy of Philosopher's Stone...
And that is although I know that a shipment of 7 DVDs will arrive and I might not be here to accept the shipment. That's how psyched I am :)
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection
[Edited last by Michael Dueppen on October 29, 2001 at 01:27 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Rob,
Andrew made mention of what rating the BBFC gave Potter up top of page two here, but since you missed it, in the UK and US it is as follows:
UK -- PG
US -- PG ("for some scary moments and mild language")
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 29, 2001 at 08:33 AM]

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Ron's review is now being quoted all over the internet. I was shocked to see him referenced in today's Internet Movie Database News. Congratulations Ron! :)
Link Removed
Gregory

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I've finished the book in one sitting. Haven't done that in quite a while.
After reading the novel and Ron's review I'm now really waiting for the movie impatiently.
Guess I'll have to download the trailer tomorrow. Too tired now. It's 1:30AM here.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
I figure if kids have the attention span and imagination to read through the books then a two and a half hour telling where it all comes to life will pose no problems. Like I said, I get the feeling they'll be demanding more.
I really hope, in the end, that children are demanding
more and staying awake throughout the whole event. It
would be nice to see that the human attention span
can last more than a few minutes.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I think we are underestimating kids. If they like the movie, they'll pay attention. Kids play video games for hours and hours at a stretch.
It's when the activity is boring that kids get restless.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I bought the score today. It’s a special 2 CD set. What surprised me was that the title on the CD is “Philosopher” and I think that they bring all the scores here from US.
The music is as always John Williams excellent. The surprising thing is that there is a track containing a very dark and scary tone unlike any previous scores that I have heard from him. The kind of music you would expect to hear on the upcoming Lord of the Rings!
icon14.gif

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Sam, if it says 'Philosopher' it's certainly not the US release. Warner got the CD out across Europe at the same time, and Europe only gets the 2 cd version.
Dan (UK)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Why did they change the title anyway? Are there no philosophers in the US?
The legend of the Philosopher's Stone is not so well known in the US. Also, Philosopher in this context is closer to what we think of as Sorcerer than a philosopher. Being that people in the US would not read philosopher in context, the title was changed. More aspects of the book were changed, but not much. I would very much like to read the British edition.
I also wish that the film were standardized to philosopher since there must be dialogue changes (at the very least) to modify the film for US audiences. I'd rather see the same film they have in the UK. I doubt WB will give us an alternate viewing option on the DVD
frown.gif
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
The good Wizards at my local record store slid me an advance copy of the score CD yesterday. The UK Philosopher's Stone score release is a nice 2 CD edition, first disc with some 74 mins of music, the bonus disc being a cd-rom of trailers, video game preview, wallpaper...etc.

That figures! The US score CD only comes on one disk with no extra stuff!
Oh well. From what I've listened to so far I really like it.
-Mike

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I would not worry about the lack of the bonus disc in the US, Michael, much if not all of it I am sure is available online.
Great music, really is. Now I await the torture of walking out of the cinema next weekend and noticing all the music that didn't make it to the CD release. Arghh...
SLIGHTLY off topic, but do any good wizards here know where I can find the UK theatrical one sheet with that great artwork as seen on the CD cover but with the 'Philosopher's Stone' subtitle? I'm really looking hard for this.
Dan (UK)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
John Berggren,
The British version is the version sold in Canada. All you have to do is order it online from Indigo or Chapters (same company now). I am certainly happy that Canada received the correct edition. I prefer to read the book as written by the author, much like most people on this board demand O.A.R. in their films.
Chris

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
John Berggren,
The British version is the version sold in Canada. All you have to do is order it online from Indigo or Chapters (same company now). I am certainly happy that Canada received the correct edition. I prefer to read the book as written by the author, much like most people on this board demand O.A.R. in their films.
In this case, the author approved the changes, which were just simple word replacements. This is due to the fact that the myth of the Philosopher's stone and it's impact on post-Renaissance alchemy isn't well known in the U.S. I can vouch for this... I had never heard of it either until I did a little research after reading the Harry Potter series. Incidentally, the one man who claimed to have proof of an actual Philosopher's Stone and died only days after his "discovery", was named Flamel, first name Nick. His house, I believe, still stands today as a resturant. I'm not sure, but I believe his case may be the famous one everyone seems to know about... that said, I had to dive a little bit deeper into occult reading than I'd wanted to in order to piece together his story. He and his "hieroglyphics" are dated into the 14th century, which wouldn't make Miss Rowling's number too far off.
What's the topic again? Oh yeah, this is more of a Kubrickian issue than a OAR v.s. MAR issue.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
Great music, really is. Now I await the torture of walking out of the cinema next weekend and noticing all the music that didn't make it to the CD release. Arghh...
We'll probably see a double-disk "Ultimate Edition" of the soundtrack in the near future. I'm pretty sure of this because of the gold sticker on my jewel case which says "Special First Edition".
-Mike

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Michael, I think that's more in respect to it perhaps being the first pressing.
It's rare to see 2nd CD or domestic expanded re-releases of John Williams' scores. ET and Jaws come to mind but those were done to celebrate an anniversary.
That said, they are pushing the Potter score to the mainstream, and in the past when labels have done this (Gladiator and Titanic as an example, where people who liked the movies just got the music because it was releated to the movie) it allowed for subsequent "more music from" CD releases.
Expanded Williams material is more often then not credited to the promotional and bootleg markets (like the expanded 2 CD versions of Hook, Far and Away, Last Crusade..etc..etc) and I have a feeling something may pop up in this field eventually.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 31, 2001 at 04:19 PM]

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Not sure if all his little friends will have a 2.5 hour attention span, though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't any of you have MARY POPPINS in your collections ??
Canada has positively got the PHILOSOPHER version in theatres. The prints are being manufactured in England and not domestically. I look forward to Warner's solution to the DVD dilemma since all their Canadian discs are manufactured in the U.S.
Disney often uses seamless branching to provide proper French language opening credits and such on their major titles ( GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE & SNOW WHITE come to mind) on discs destined for Canada. It would be ideal if Warner Brothers could use this to provide the two versions. All they would have to do is print up different covers for the Canadian/ U.S. markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks