What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S/SORCERER'S STONE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I lost more sleep when I read the 4 Potter books than I care to remember - I just could not put them down! I read half of the first book in one day, after having it on the shelf for about 9 months. I then went out and bought the other 3 books, which I read in about a month.
Since finishing the 4th book, I've been very anxiously waiting the debut of the movie. I'm absolutely thrilled that it got such a good review and that it's 2 hrs. 30 min. To me, it would need to be that long to properly develop the storyline.
Can't wait!
------------------
Scott

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I am VERY excited to learn that this movie has a running time of two and a half hours! Family-friendly movies rarely run much more than 90 - 100 minutes, and I was terribly afraid that Harry Potter would be too short to tell its story as effectively as possible. It doesn't sound like that's the case, however. I can't wait until next month.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
One thing I want to know from Ron is how Rik Mayall as performs in the role of Peeves the Poltergeist? And for that matter, how he, Nick and the rest of the ghosts of Hogwarts actually look on screen.
An Anne Leibowitz picture of four of the ghosts (Nick, Fat Friar, Bloody Baron, Grey Lady)appeared in Vanity Fair. It is reproduced online at the Harry Potter Galleries site here.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

David Oliver

Second Unit
I cannot even explain how excited I am about this movie, especially after that review! I read all four books, and without getting into too much detail, they were a very needed distraction for me during a difficult time, so I have a very warm place in my heart for the series. I encourage folsk to read the book prior to seing the movie. Just make sure you have nothing major planned, because you won't be able to put it down.
BTW, the new TV trailer is here (I am not sure how long it has been out, but I have not seen it)
http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/we...jsp?id=TV-Spot

And Kenneth Brabagh wil be in the second installment of the series, The Chamber of Secrets
Link Removed
[Edited last by David Oliver on October 26, 2001 at 12:55 PM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I have to say that review has made me want to see this movie ALOT more than I did before reading that review.
Can't wait
Regards,
Ricky

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For any Brits reading this, the movie (known as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone over here, of course) has been given a PG certificate with no cuts.

We're due to take my son and his friends to see it the first Saturday the movie is showing [I got the tickets the day the booking office opened] - it's my son's eighth birthday and he thought this would be a cool way of celebrating it. Not sure if all his little friends will have a 2.5 hour attention span, though.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I haven't read any of the books, but I've been interested in the movie since seeing the trailer a few months ago. Ron's enthusiastic review has turned this into "a must-see", pretty rare this year.
I won't be reading the books beforehand because the movie must stand on its own. Right?
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I won't be reading the books beforehand because the movie must stand on its own. Right?
That's true.
In my opinion, though, you should read the book first, not because it will help you understand or appreciate the movie, but simply because it's a darn good read.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As for me, I am defenitely waiting at least two weeks before going to see the movie. I want to avoid all the other little kids as much as possible.
Oh, I'm going first day :). I find for a movie like this, I enjoy it more with a room full of kids. It GREATLY enhanced my second TPM viewing.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I was very pleased to see Ron's positive review. I think this is a case where NOT knowing the books could be a plus. My 11-year-old has been scrutinizing every photo, trailer, action figure, etc. related to the movie. He's not too pleased with the choice of Branagh as Gilderoy Lockhart. I've done my best to urge him to wait for the magic of makeup & costume before finalizing his opinion. This age group is the expert for this one my friends. If it don't fly with the core audience, the repeat business is shot. Everything I've read tells me the production used the book and author as bible and final word, so I expect an uncommonly faithful adaptation. We were in on the HP bandwagon prior to the US release of the books due to a globe-trotting family member who brought the books into our lives. We'll be in line on day 1.
However, HP is only the #2 anticipated movie from my son. HE's really holding his breath for LOTR...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I still find it interesting that Spielberg was going to do this at one point, then backed out, IIRC, because he was concerned no movie could measure up to the book, and he didn't want to "lose" in that comparison.
Actually, what Spielberg said was that the movie would be "too easy" for him. He apparently feels that it's ground that he's already covered in his career, although he did say that the 4th book would be fun to film.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Actually, what Spielberg said was that the movie would be "too easy" for him. He apparently feels that it's ground that he's already covered in his career, although he did say that the 4th book would be fun to film.
Third book he likes most, deeming it "pure genius." Lot's of conflicting stories why he turned on doing Philosopher's Stone. The most popular and regular report I've heard being that indeed the first book didn't inspire him too much and that he wanted Haley Joel Osment as Harry but eventually felt more attatched to churn out A.I before anything else.
Dan (UK)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Normally, I would've been interested in seeing this film based upon the rave reviews of the book series. My big problem is that I can't stand Chris Columbus. I haven't liked a single one of his films so I'm leery of this one as well. If some of my favorite critics rave about this, then I suppose I will relent and go see it.
Jeff

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've only read the first one, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I plan on breezing through it once more before seeing the movie.
Thanks for the scoop Ron.
jealous
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://www.ofcs.org

ace peterson

Second Unit
Wow! That was indeed quite a review by Ron! Now I can tell my wife with confidence that you don't need to have read the book to enjoy this movie. She's a little wishy-washy about going, but hopefully not anymore. Thanks, Ron!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
HARRY POTTER is 2:35 anamorphic in theatres. The ghosts of Hogwarts castle are fun but make up very little screen time.
Did you know the film is called HARRY POTTER & THE SORCERER'S STONE in the U.S.A. and HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE in Canada & Britain ? That should drive some poster collectors batty ! The reasons were explained to me once but I can't remember them clearly enough to even hint as to the answer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Did you know the film is called HARRY POTTER & THE SORCERER'S STONE in the U.S.A. and HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE in Canada & Britain ? That should drive some poster collectors batty ! The reasons were explained to me once but I can't remember them clearly enough to even hint as to the answer.
Most likely because the BOOK held each title in it's respective territory.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks