What's new

*** Official HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm rereading the books in prep for 7. Just started PoA, but decided to watch it last night. Hadn't seen it in a while. Several things struck me (some again).

The direction and cinematography is gorgeous. Cuaron is a visualist of the first order, and this film is dripping with it. Some of the reflection transitions are gorgeous. The first appearance of the dementor is incredible. It's just a sumptuous treat for the eyes.

The score is everything Tim said. It's a great piece of work by Williams.

The foreshadowing...I have my own ideas. JKR probably meant the Rom/Hermione relationship being pretty strongly outed here (though most of us pegged that by book 3 as well). But when they left the Shrieking Shack and were about to be attacked by WereLupin, Snape pops out and starts to verbally berate the group. As soon as the danger appears, he jumps in front of the kids, and tries to shield them. No hesitation :) I consider that foreshadowing. There was also a scene where Snape confronts Harry about his dad (in the dark, when Harry is looking for Pettigrew). Harry defends his father, and everyone assumes Snape's a dick. Come to find out...Snape is right. Harry's dad could be a real jerk.

Anyways, the film is absolutely worth a revisit (as are all of them, for different reasons). It's easily my favorite of the four, and I would not complain if Cuaron is invited back for 7.

My wife and I discussed at length who might direct 7. Columbus might be an obvious choice, but I think the series is beyond his visual capabilities (his casting was spot-on, so I do not mean to belittle his input - he's a great producer as well). Would Spielberg be considered (and would JKR want him)? I'd also LOVE to see Guillermo del Toro finally get his shot at a Potter film. Even better would be Cuaron/Innaritu/del Toro all pitching in (but with the Universal deal, that's unlikely). Considering how big the 7th film will be, it'll be interesting to see who they get.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A real breath of fresh air; old and new films with an uncustomary set of instruments. I LOVED the Celtic tinge to the score. Doyle's score seemed rather mundane by comparison. That said, Hooper's score sounds promising..

And Chris was right. I was pretty far off about COS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks