What's new

*** Official GRAN TORINO Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Then we know for sure it can't be Dirty Harry.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
My wife and I saw this yesterday. It's a bit simplistic at times, and some points are made in a little heavy-handed fashion, but it was one of those films that I think will grow on me. It made me think about issues like forgiveness, redemption, and salvation. It's also a very interesting cultural commentary on immigration, religion, and changing neighborhoods, and what are shared values, regardless of race, religion, or culture.

Definitely an ending I didn't expect in some ways, but is perfect in most other ways.

Clint has been making films with one of the main messages being about how awful killing human beings is since he stopped being Dirty Harry, it seems to me - and filmgoers have been the better for it, IMO.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Eastwood has never won an Oscar for acting. I don't know if he'll be nominated for this film or not, but there may be some votes thrown his way as a "catch-up". His 4 Oscars are 2 each for best director and best picture.

Other than "Peoples Choice" type awards, I'm not sure if he's ever won any kind of "best actor" award.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Usually that works in reverse: He's old as dirt, better get him an Oscar now before he dies, the other actors are young and have more opportunities in the future.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Gran Torino has been completely shut out from the GG (got a song nom I think, that's it.) The Oscar crowd is very different of course, but it's still something to note for a well received, obvious Oscar contender.

Well, I wrote the above before I checked RT, and was surprised to find it rated at a relatively low 75%. That certainly explains the GG shut out -- not everyone is impressed.

In a strange way, I am OK with that. I loved the film, but it doesn't bring anything terribly new to the table.

--
H

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And every year I wonder why people take the GG's seriously (as I certainly don't). Who the hell makes up the Foreign Hollywood Press anyway?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

When he actually got killed. You'd have to know my girlfriend but she's a tough as nails type and it really, really shocked me to see her get that wrapped up in a movie. It shocked me more than if PROM NIGHT took home Best Picture honors. She refuses to watch IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE with me because she finds it stupid yet this one touched her for some reason.

I think the ending shocked a lot of people in the crowd. This is just my opinion but I think a lot of the shock is by this movie hitting the "mainstream" and in most mainstream movies the hero walks away at the end. I think the ending here shocked people because it was going to require them to think on the way out of the theater.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Clint Eastwood has become one of the finest directors today but Gran Torino just seemed like a departure from what he is capable of.
Clint Eastwood was the only decent actor in this movie and the rest were just awful. But even Clint seemed very over the top in this for me as well.
I thought the story was good but the writing wasn't great, it just didn't blend well together from scene to scene, and some of the dialog seemed very unnatural.

I loved the ending though, thank you Clint for not going the traditional route. I hate it when Hollywood can't pull the trigger and deliver an ending that makes people feel uneasy or out of the ordinary. (Soprano's)
I think everyone thought he was going to do it and spend his remaining days locked up. But he didn't, he went the smarter way out and the movie was better for it because it redeems him as a good man which is contrary to what he thinks of himself through out.

I see a lot of people talking about Oscar which surprises me. I would love to see Clint get a Best Actor Oscar because he is an unbelievable actor most of the time, but this won't get it for him.
I'm just going to save everyone the heart break for nomination day next week and say that Gran Torino won't get even a single nod. And it wont be a snub either, it's because Gran Torino will not stack up to Oscar quality. Clint would be the only person to get a look and he just didn't deliver what it takes this time around.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think this film has a very high "Shawshank" type potential.. maybe it gets few awards, or doesn't make big waves.. but as years pass, I see a lot of repeat viewings/airings for it.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I think Clint has a good shot at getting an acting nod. Many said he should have been nominated for Million Dollar Baby. Oscar folks have a bad habit of nominating as a payback. His performance is certainly good enough to warrant such a nomination -- it's not so much a pay back as a "Wait, he's been really good in his later years.") Couple that with Best Original Song, and Gran Torino gets two nods.

Just as an aside, he wouldn't have spent a day in prison. He would be dead long before that.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
I'd love to see Clint come out of nowhere and take Langella's supposedly locked-up nomination, but it's probably just wishful thinking. Still, last night's Rourke win has to open things up a bit... the VCB win over Mamma Mia and Rourke beating Penn/Langella were the two moments that made me pump my fist in excitement.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Happy to see this was the #1 film this weekend.

It deserves it!

Really tough choice about BEST PICTURE winners. I think that
Gran Torino, The Wrestler and Slumdog Millionaire are all
equally good films.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Of the three, I think Slumdog has the best chance. It's got a lot going for it -- hype, critical acclaim, it's an independent. It is not the best film I saw this year -- not even close. I prefer Gran Torino over it. I haven't seen The Wrestler yet but I look forward to it. Personally, I think that both In Bruges and The Visitor were more satisfying for me than Slumdog Millionaire. My favorite film of the year is The Dark Knight and I think it's a better film than all of these, too.

Slumdog'll probably win but I think it's this year's American Beauty, Shakespeare in Love or Crash. Frankly, I'm surprised at the accolades being heaped on it. I thought it was good but I wasn't blown away. Maybe there was too much hype.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

Are all three of those movies that shouldn't have won? I thought all three were incredible and rightfully deserved winning. I might of picked Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare in Love, but that's a close call. Honestly The Thin Red Line was my "what the f**k" addition in that list for that year. I couldn't understand anyone liking that thing.
I am hoping to see Slumdog tonight and hopefully that lives up to the hype like you said. I've seen a lot on it.
I watched the Wrestler last night and liked it quite a bit, but I don't really know if it's best picture. It's close I think but there are some good choices I would pick over it.

Dark Knight definitely deserves a best picture nod in my book too.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

It's so nice to find out there is someone else out there who shares my view of this year's cause celebre. And people talk about The Dark Knight being overrated.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

SPR should have beat Shakespeare in Love. I agree with you re: The Thin Red Line. I've seen it twice and I hate it more now. Crash is crap -- sorry.

The Wrestler won't get more than actor nods. Aronofsky perplexes people. They either love him or hate him -- his films are not "middle of the road" enough to garner a director or BP nod. The guy's talented -- his time will come.

To get us back on track, my favorite character in GT was Martin, the barber. His scenes with Clint shine, I think.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What hype? Slumdog came out of nowhere, with zero advance word. People saw it and loved it, even if you didn't. The same thing happened with Million Dollar Baby, and it may now be happening with Gran Torino.

(BTW, I've never entered any of the debates, because they're always too intemperate to suggest that anyone is actually listening, but I have zero problem with the BP wins for American Beauty, Crash or Shakespeare in Love. Particularly in the case of SIL, I think it's a superb picture on a subject of profound importance and deserved to win, though I was shocked when the vote didn't go with the knee-jerk choice of SPR. Anyone who wishes to discuss further can meet me outside. :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks