What's new

*** Official 'GHOSTS OF MARS' Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to disappoint, but it was Sci-Fi channel bad. "Within the Rock Part II". Really disappointed, because I've been a fan of so much of his older stuff.
But the dialogue was bad, his pacing was off, when he finally gets around to "ass kicking" mode it feels stale. And there were many sections where it just ignored it's primary premise and didn't stay internally consistent. I understand that this was made on a budget, but I would have expected more from him.
Bummer
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Kenneth English

Second Unit
First off I want to say that I'm a huge fan of John Carpenter.
OK. That's out of the way.
And...
GHOSTS OF MARS is a horrible, horrible film. Like all of his stuff, the first 30 minutes are pretty good and then it just devolves into a completely mindless exercise in yelling, shooting and running around a lot. For chrissakes, VAMPIRES was better! This one was unbelievably lame.
What's happened to J.C.? He used to make such good stuff (IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS was the last truly decent thing he's done). Very sad...
frown.gif

[Edited last by Kenneth English on August 26, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It's a "diminished expectations" film. If you don't go in thinking it's the Second Coming, you'll likely have a good time. The set-up is great and the action is solid but it's too bad that more wasn't done with the characters, particularly regarding the interactions with the Martians (i.e. who was "Big Daddy Mars"? Why was he picked to be the kingpin?)
But I had a decent time for a matinee. After this abysmal summer, that's all I ask for anymore. And as a John Carpenter completist (even "Village of the Damned"-- OOF!), I had to go.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I was so close to recommending "Ghosts of Mars" on entertainment value only, since the film didn't apologize for its goofiness, its hardcore violence, its bad dialogue or even its shoddy miniature/CG effects work. This is a midnight, last-film-on-a-triple-bill film all the way, John Carpenter style.
My biggest problem was with the story framing; they should have just dropped the "flashback" idea and told it chronologically, and then the "flashback within a flashback" scenes would be merely "flashback" scenes and more enjoyable. :) And the ending I found a little ticked because I wanted another big battle scene and instead met the end credits.
frown.gif

Oh well. Don't go spend $12.75 on a film like this, go for an afternoon matinee or cheap night, or wait until your local university or rerun house gets this one and they only ask for a few bucks. At that level, "Ghosts of Mars" is worth it.
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif

Jason
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"Look, I'm Mrs. Hitler!" Rat Race
Film Critic, Link Removed

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
whoa! , from the maker of "Big Trouble in Little China" comes the WORST FILM OF THE YEAR!. the second film of the year that ive given no stars to , the other being tomb raider. aviod at all costs!

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
After Vampires,I'm skipping this. Its time for me to back off and not go see every Sci-fantasy movie that comes out. It time the Studios stop green lighting crap!
------------------
Link Removed
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Oh dear. So this is not even worth waiting for the DVD? That bad, huh?
Sorry to say, but: yes, it's that bad.
Even with my expectations lowered the movie still blew.
The best thing I can say about it is that Natasha Henstridge has turned out to be rather a better actress than I would ever have guessed. She's pretty commanding in the lead role, as far as it goes. I hope she gets some more worthwhile parts in the future.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
I myself went in with no expectation. I was in it to look at Natasha and hopefully get some good Vampire-like kick butt action. Nope, all I got was Natasha. This is the mother of all B movies. Something that we'll be seeing rerun over and over on those late night TNT movies with Billy Bob. 100% disappointed. 1/2 star for the present of Natasha. I also thought the flashback of a flashback of a flashback was a bad idea.
And how does Ice Cube get to be a movie star anyway? I never seen worser acting. It's like seeing Mr. T except without the attitude.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This may be the first time I haven't even heard people say something along the lines of, "it was a good popcorn flick".
eek.gif

------------------

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I am an absolute diehard John Carpenter fan, and I liked this film! I knew Carpenter wouldn't let me down. This film is certainly not one of the worst films ever made. It isn't Carpenter's best by any means, but it is great. I loved it and can't wait for the DVD. God, I can't believe so many people think it was that damn bad!

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I loved it and can't wait for the DVD.
Well you two, looks like the wait isn't too long; DVD File just announced that Columbia gave a December 4th street date for the DVD. Jeez, the film isn't even a week old and they're already announcing the DVD!
As for me: I was looking foward to this, but after hearing all the negative reviews coupled with Carpenter's declining talent, I think I'll pass and wait to rent the DVD.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I've seen Ghosts of Mars twice now and I really dug it. It's nowhere near his best, but I found it an entertaining cross between a 70's exploitation flick and a 50's pulp sci-fi movie. I think a lot of people are being a tad too hard on it.
Carpenter's opening theme and score for the film rocks (although Anthrax was used too much toward the end for my tastes). I recommend it to anyone who wants to see something fun and gory during this dreary late-Summer season. It's not Shakespeare, but it doesn't try to be either. It has a great cast, to boot. Who knew that Natasha Henstridge could carry a movie as a total badass (surpassing Ice Cube's 'Desolation' Williams character, as the main cool Carpenter character of the film)? Certainly not me.
Like I said, it's not his best, but all he has to do is please his fans at this point in his career, and with Ghosts of Mars, I felt that he did just that.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
It's a good popcorn flick. It helps if the theater -- The Bridge in Westchester is a good one -- is big and loud.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I agree. Don't wait for DVD (although I can't wait now for the DVD...I just hope it has Carpenter/Henstridge commentary). Watch it in a theater that'll play it loud, and you'll have a blast.

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
....But if you don't like popcorn what then?
Two hours of 1)why did they make this
2)why am i sitting through this
3)how come i can hold back the vomit
4)why haven't i left the theater yet
5)and finally when is carpenter going to make
a good film again o' but for the days of
"Big Trouble..."
------------------
movies are a religion
[Edited last by chris_sharpe on September 05, 2001 at 05:57 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks