What's new

*** Official "Gamecube" discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Well, to be fair to UPS, I should say that mine arrived today. I was worried earlier when the Web tracking said delivery had been rescheduled for Monday, but within an hour, the UPS guy was dropping off the second bundle of joy at my house in as many days. (The first being that big, black behemoth from Redmond. . .)
I hooked it up, turned it on, and set the calendar and menu options. There's a good chance it won't be turned on again until next week, when (hopefully) my component-video cables arrive. Call me a snob, but I don't want to ruin my Rogue Leader deflowering by playing the game without the best graphics my home theater can muster.
In the meantime, I'll spend some quality time with Halo. . .

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
J-Fo, Didn't I tell you Monkey Ball was the greatest? I have that coming from DVD Box Office as it was so damn cheap (£28), downside is in getting it that cheap, it takes some 14 days to arrive as they use standard shipping (and dont offer other options), but there is no shipping charge.
Place I ordered Rogue Leader from hasnt got back to me about it actually being in stock. Hope it is, or my torture continues... I'll have the cube with nothing to play on it.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 17, 2001 at 06:32 AM]

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I got my Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, and Memory card....just waiting till midnight so I can get the system. Next order of business after the Cube is to hunt down the component video cables and a Nintendo Controller.
Corey

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I think Nintendo is releasing it on sunday because in Japan that is the only day they have off. Their children go to school 6 days a week. And the parents work 6 days a week. Now I know that doesn't apply here. But maybe Nintendo feels that it does.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Boooyaah, My Cube is in the country. All signs point to my having it monday. Again, nothing from this UK importer regarding Rogue Leader, I know them to be a trusting service from those who have spoken of them, but their website offers nothing in the way of past order status or order cancelation and they never responded to my e-mail about actually having it in stock.
My fear is they are out of stock but are not telling me that since I stated if it is out of stock I'd like to have canceled the order to try elsewhere. I'm hoping they sent it out today letting it arrive for Tuesday.
:-/
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 17, 2001 at 12:18 PM]

JasonK

Supporting Actor
The GCN gets a big fat
icon14.gif
from me. First thing I noticed was the size. It's tiny! Other than that, it's pretty slick. The handle actually was handy, too.
I started off the night with Star Wars. It felt familiar, played like the 1st Rogue Squadron. That's good. The graphics are stunning. The sound (I don't have Pro Logic 2) still had the good ol' Star Wars sounds and chatter between the crew.
I didn't play it real long, because my pals got antsy just watching me. Next up was SUPER MONKEY BALL.
Add me to the list of people who say this is a MUST-HAVE. Its premise is simple, Monkeys rolling around in balls, but wow! It is addictive. My buds and I played this for a good amount of time. I really like the 'Monkey Fight' mode. Those Monkeys with their boxing gloves is good for a chuckle. I just wish I had 4 controllers to fight other people with.
Then we tried LUIGI's MANSION. The graphics are gorgeous. And I like the whole Ghostbuster-esque gameplay, but I didn't play long enough to give a fair review. I'll play more tonite or tomorrow.
The true test for the 'Cube will come tonite. We'll see if it can keep me away from MGS2. (I doubt it.) But it did get me out of bed early before work this morning to play Monkey ball more.
Overall, a decent showing from the GCN. Good luck finding the system tomorrow, and have fun with it!
Your pal,
Jason

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just called a local Wal-Mart and they already have 10 people in line. Guess I am going to have to go eariler. Damit!!!
Corey

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
YEAH!!! Just got back, the store had 52 units for sale, when i left at 12:10 they had 20 units left. I got everything but my component video cables, damn Wal-Mart, guess I know what I'll be looking for tomorrow. I also cannot believe how tiny the Cube is and how big the A/C adaptor is, almost as big as the Cube.LOL Anyhow off to play Rogue and Super Monkey.
Corey

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Went to Super K-Mart. There were about 40 people in line (I was #23), but they had more than enough Cubes, 100 to be exact. I picked up a memory card and Luigi. Already had Rogue Squadron for a week. The Cube is just a little powerhouse and looks fantastic through just an S-video connection. I can't even imagine how great it looks in 480p. Someday I will, someday. :)
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Woohoo! Got mine at the Super Wal-Mart! They had 48. I was about 25th in line, as i got there later than planned, but not everyone in line bought a cube themselves. Lots of groups hanging out. It was great! I was expecting a quiet crowd, but I was talking gaming with everyone. They were all excited. One guy in line was giving away Pizza! I got a little worried about not being able to get a black one, but more people got indigo than I thought. Then it looked like I wouldn't be able to get the only game I wanted right now, Wave Race. By the time I got up in line, I managed to snag one of the remaining few.
What a great experience! Game on!
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Congrats everyone!
Keeps those posts and impressions coming!
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm leaving for my store right now. We've got 120 Gamecubes waiting to find a new home. I'm expecting a line of 50 to 100 people. This ought to make the Xbox launch look like the opening day for the horrible Battlefield Earth.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So did All Star Baseball make it as a launch title? I ask because our stores on the West Coast don't open for a couple of hours. Anyone back East see/buy this game? Impressions?

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
I picked mine up this morning with Luigi's, Wave Race, and Star Wars. They're all great, but Rogue Leader is the best so far. The controller melts in your hands, I love it. I got it from a Target by my house, and they had a great deal where if you buy 3 games you get a free controller. What a deal! Well, back to playing...

Nathan A

Second Unit
I got the same deal! Picked up Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars, and Madden, plus a memory card. I am, though, disappointed that I can not find a component cable anywhere. I've tried Gamestop, EB, Target, and Wal-Mart.
All the games look great, but I wanna see 'em in 480p! So if anyone knows who's got component cables in, please let me know.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
So did All Star Baseball make it as a launch title? I ask because our stores on the West Coast don't open for a couple of hours. Anyone back East see/buy this game? Impressions?
We didn't get it at my Best Buy. Have copies on order, and I believe they're due in at any time. Crazy Taxi and Dave Mirra didn't show up either, leaving us with a grand total of seven games out for the launch. "Most unimpressive" compared to the XBox.
frown.gif

I'm still lukewarm on ASB2002--I'm figuring it's going to be a simple port of the PS2 game. Hopefully, next year's ASB2003 will see a return to the N64-like ASB games. . .
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 16, 2002

ChrisP

Agent
On a whim, my friend and I drove out of town a ways to a superWalMart in a more rural area. Walked in at 11:50pm and found the line. We were told we were number 33, with 36 units to sell (sheer dumb luck). After an absurdly long wait in the Layaway department, i had my Indigo GameCube, an extra Indigo controller, and a Memory Card. Stayed up until 5am playing Rogue Leader and Super Monkey Ball (which I had bought last week at BestBuy. Rogue Leader kicks butt. It's beautiful. Super Monkey Ball is loads of fun. Starts out easy, but man does it get hard fast. and the MultiPlayer games are lots of fun.
------------------
Chris.jpg
sig.jpg

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
quote: i had my Indigo GameCube, an extra Indigo controller[/quote]
I'm curious as to why people, when they have a choice, pick a controller that's the same color as the controller that's with the system already.
I saw this a few times this morning: People getting a black Cube and a black controller, and people getting both the Indigo system and controller.
Wouldn't you want to have a different-colored controller, so you and your buddy could differentiate between the two? It'd make it somewhat easier during those multi-player games, wouldn't it?
I picked up my Indigo Cube today, and bought an extra black controller the other day to go with it.
I sure wish the WaveBird would have been available at launch--I would have picked that up instead of the extra black controller.
Just curious,
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 16, 2002
[Edited last by Matt Birchall on November 18, 2001 at 02:59 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks