What's new

*** Official FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That's another thing that astonishes me, with all the information available to us these days that there are people who would bring their whole family to a movie without having any idea what kind of film it is.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I took my dad to see this today and I didn't care for it as much this time. It was still a good time but it didn't work as well on the second viewing. Of course this might have something to do with the fact that the center speaker with the dialogue was dropping out the final 30-minutes of the movie.

I did notice Ralph's bike this time around so thanks to Mark on the heads up there.

As for the kids, I always see them in R-rated movies. At the midnight showing I went to on this movie I was shocked to see so many people under the age 13. Not just because it was a R-rated movie but because it was a school night. I was more curious about who was going to let their kids out until 2am on a school night.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't have a huge problem with teens getting in to see these, but I was very astonished at the amount of little kids who were there with their parents.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I saw this with my dad, too, no big deal.

No way I would have seen this with my mom, though.

My philosophy for children and movies like these...if you can't get a sitter, don't go.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Hell, my dad is the one who introduced these films to me. The first one he took me to see in a theater was part 7 and we've seen the rest that way as well.

It's interesting to read across various message boards but apparently several people are having issues with the nudity, which too me by surprise. I'm curious if these people are younger fans who grew up in the SCREAM era where there wasn't any nudity. It seems if they were older then they would be use to it from the 80's horror movies and God knows there was some rough stuff back in the 70's as well.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

No, I grew up with the F13 films. And while some did have a good amount of nudity, many of them had little or none if you think about it. Part 1 had very little, Parts 3,6, and 8 as well. I think the problem I had was that the nudity was there very obviously to be gratuitous. So it seemed to be a bit of overkill for me. It's like they said, "the audience expects alot of nudity so let's have it all through the film" when there really wasn't a tremendous amount in the other films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the water skiing scene is the definition of gratuitous nudity. That being said, I have no problem with gratuitous nudity but it's still gratuitous.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Gratuitous? That's what Friday the 13th has always been about. It's always been a trashy, gratuitous series but that's been its charm. Not to offend anyone but none of the films can be considered "good" per se. Fun? Hell yeah! But in the end the first film was always a cash in on Halloween. Sean Cunningham even admits as such. And the sequels were a cash in on the first film. So it makes me laugh when people call the reboot a cash in itself. This whole series was to appeal to the teenagers of the time it was being released to. The remake is no different.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I would argue against that in many cases. Like I said, in the original films nudity was often very brief as was the gore (albiet rating concerns often were a factor there.) I don't mind if something is gratuitous, but when it gets in the way of making an interesting film (like I believe was the case here) then it can be problematic

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Me too. Not that they were family movies or that weren't all designed as cheap cash-ins but the only F13 that I think really just wallowed in gratuitousness (is that a word?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
) was Part V. The rest don't have anything close to a topless water skiing scene.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I think the old F13's were certainly gratuitous -- for their time. Sure, it may not seem like it TODAY, but they were back then and pushed the envelope.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Waterskiing nude on an empty lake didn't strike me as anything too outrageous. No more so than countless shower scenes that came up during various slashers. The last sex scene went on and showed a lot more than I was expecting but I'm positive the 13-year-olds in the crowd loved it and I'm sure it was for them.

Plus, we all have to remember the stereotype of the "horror fan" watching this. I'm sure many think this is the only time they'll see a woman naked.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
I saw it tonight with a lady friend. Far too loud, so its a wonder my teeth are intact! Far scarier then the originals but a bit too nasty, losing the party atmosphere and the round the campfire feel that helps such films. Some of the humour, both casual and black, works very well indeed, though the racial stereotyping is tiresome. Jason is quite scary but doesn't get a good enough chance to appeal to the audience in the best monster fashion

Also, did anyone notice the MISSING poster on the back of the van change into an L (learning) card for one shot? Surely that was no accident!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Will everyone who is 3-D enabled at home please support post 671:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ml#post3533487

Personnel form Warner Archive are monitoring the thread.

NOTE: this is NOT the place to ask how field-sequential 3-D works, etc.
Don't derail the thread with questions about 3-D technology etc.
Just support the suggestion that if field-sequential 3-D DVD's are offered through the burn-on-demand Archive program that you'll buy them etc.

Thanks.

Richard

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
But how would 3-D work at home? :S

As far as kids seeing this :

Hmmm... nothing says it's a kids film based on the poster, looks kinda scary. If parents take their kids to it, they're morons.

The tits in this movie where 90% of the entertainment. That initial brunet had a goofy looking pair, which made the water skiing scene all the more refreshing. Without the boobs, all you got was a bunch of lame startle/jump scares.

Still liked the movie though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks