What's new

*** Official Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
ATTENTION:
I have had to delete and edit some posts. Let me stress that once again this thread is NOT here to discuss any elemets of the DVD release other than the extended cut of the film itself. Take all comments/discussion of the supplements and gift set to the existing threads in the Software forum.
Thanks,
Dan

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, my "review" is up on the first page, if anyone cares ;) I felt better writing it! In heading off Dan's rage, I will use a bit of further discussion in this post to ensure it's compliance with the spirit of the thread!
The music: Very nice additions. One of the finest scores made superior. Dan has raved about the Lothlorien music, and I agree. The extended Amon Hen features some wonderful, melancholy choir work added, again pushing the Boromir arc farther. I eagerly await including it in my CD collection.
Take care,
Chuck

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Dan has raved about the Lothlorien music, and I agree. The extended Amon Hen features some wonderful, melancholy choir work added, again pushing the Boromir arc farther. I eagerly await including it in my CD collection.
I AM truly hoping it is this cue that is the bonus on the Two Towers score. The chapter and the cue title on the Ltd Ed TT score are bother called 'Farewell to Lorien' which is the best hint of all.

However the CD track listing notes Hilary Summers as a contributing vocalist on the cue, and if you look at the credits of the film, she is not mentioned and there isn't a lead vocal for the cue as heard in the film either (though it features a female choir). So, we're either getting a different cue alltogether, or an alternate take on this same cue but with a notable vocal.

Dan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's also interesting to note that some people were expecting obvious additions of perhaps lesser quality, things that would suddenly shift enough to say "hello, new scene".

The changes are so integrated that this becomes impossible to see I think. It's only from knowing the film that you have any chance of recognizing the changes. This is a new film, period. It happens to contain many of the same or similar scenes, but other than that a viewer with no knowledge would not be able to distinguish which came first and which was the theatrical version.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Watched this tonight, truly fantastic film, great additions, I can't fault any of it, but I am keeping my original theatrical copy as a souvenir of the film I saw in the cinema, whether I'll ever watch that again, I don't know, I can't imagine watching it now without these extended scenes.
My favorite film of the past 10 years is even better now, can't wait for Part II.
One observation though, how much would we love this film if it had been scored by another composer, say James Horner?
Howard Shore's music is superlative, I can't believe I groaned when I first heard he was up for the assignment, one of the all time greatest film scores and with II and III coming up, its a masterwork.:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy Order Receipt 11-09-2002
Customer: Scott Weinberg
Item: Lord of the Rings Extended Version (WS)
---
I was on the fence about purchasing this one.......
.....until I wandered into this thread!!
(Shakes his fist at all the HTF Ringbearers)
Damn you guys! :D
I'll be back with my take on the EE once I'm done salivating all over it!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I thought I was eagerly anticipating this set before, but now I know what TRUE anticipation REALLY is. Thank you for making the time between now and the day I get this set seem to be even longer.

I'm not sure if this was adressed earlier, but does the film feel more complete with the new scenes? There were some parts of the theatrical version that seemed to feel like they were only half done or rushed through, but I'm guessing that parts of them were deleted from the movie.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if this was addressed earlier, but does the film feel more complete with the new scenes? There were some parts of the theatrical version that seemed to feel like they were only half done or rushed through, but I'm guessing that parts of them were deleted from the movie.
To me, yes it does. I'm not sure Dan and others feel that way though.

I say better and they say different. Now I agree on different also, but if given the choice I think analytically the EE is of a better structure. 3.5 hours is a long time, but then they were covering a crazy amount of narrative, a narrative that honestly could have been split in two (and maybe should have). Of course no one would want to back 6 films blindly.

But the subjects that must/can be covered and how they apply to the overall themes of the film, as well as the overall tone of a LONG JOURNEY (and changes in characters) are greatly improved by this cut.

And as I said, something like focusing first on Bilbo makes the event of him leaving more critical, and of course that is what was intended by the narrative.

2 other things that I didn't mention yet are themes that are brought MORE to the forefront, though they were available in the original cut.

1) There is much stronger development toward the upcoming choice that Arwen must make.

2) There is much stronger development toward the upcoming choice that Aragorn must make.

The establishment of these 2 conflicts is rather clearly established now, rather than subtlely implied. Giving up her elvish ways is a serious matter. This is an event that we WILL SEE, so establishing this event and the weight it carries is critical for it to pay off as well later.

And in the same regard, the choice that Aragorn will be making to return as king is much more established.

Even within FOTR the improvement in Aragorn's story adds emotion to the ending. As dramatic as Boromir's final words were, they are more so now when we have felt their tension growing even more, as well as seeing Aragorn's more willful choice to deny his kingship (per a discussion with Elrond for one instance). Now for Aragorn to tell Boromir that he will protect Gondor it becomes a HUGE statement, even to an audience that was unaware of this tension before.

I felt that every aspect of the journey felt rushed, and this is totally fixed. As I already mentioned, the leaving of Lorien is greatly improved simply by breaking up those river scenes.

Oh, one other thing was interesting to note. It is now explicitly said that the fellowship is BEING TRACKED by the Urak-Hai (Lorien elves have already encountered them). The result is that the trip down the river now becomes a RACE to Amon Hen, rather than a convergence from 2 different directions. And this makes the back-and-forth cuts between Lurtz and Legolas, etc. seem very sensible, if that makes sense to you, because it is standard film-speak to cut between 2 people/groups in such a race like that. Whereas before it was more just like "they can sense each other" or something, but somewhat awkward in visual presentation. This new angle (tone) feels more natural, and therefore has a better flow.

Oops, yet another very small thing that had a very pleasant effect. Just before Gandalf rides to Orthanc there is a shot of a black rider overlooking some part of the Shire (in the original too). It was a general "a rider is getting near" feeling from the shot.

But now we have just had a scene of Frodo and Sam camping overnight. Cut to the rider shot and you have film-speak for "he is overlooking them or about to catch them", the scenes seem directly related because such associations in film visuals are well established even with casual film fans. It gives a much more direct impression of immediate threat, even though this is not about to happen.

My point here is that if you didn't know the story, this new version is much better at implying what the book played heavily on, that is the contstant dread and menace created by the presence of the riders. It's worth much more than the later quick scares PJ has used.

I'm not sure it was cut to reflect that or not, but it certainly works that way. It's one case where a small alteration totally changes the effect of another shot.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Seth-

Thanks for explaining all of that. I read the Fellowship of the Ring, so I like that they added in the stuff that makes it feel like the fellowship is always running from the enemy.

BarryS

Second Unit
I saw the Extended Version last night and I think it's safe to say that I won't be watching the theatrical version again. The added detail contributes immensely to the film. I found it a much more complete, pleasureable experience than the theatrical cut. I liked that it was lots of mostly short additions spread about the film, rather just a few lengthy extra scenes. Sometimes it's just a snippet of dialog that lasts no more than three seconds, but it all makes it feel closer to Tolkien's book. I liked the mention of the Sackville-Bagginses at the beginning. Now we know who it was knocking on Bilbo's door. And Gandalf referring to Gollum as Smeagol, etc. Just little details like that made the film all the more enjoyable. I agree that the Lothlorien scene was vastly improved. The additional dialog with Celeborn and Galadriel was needed. Galadriel's gift-giving scene was a great addition as well.

Very well done, over all. Peter Jackson made a great film even greater. In future viewings of Fellowship of the Ring, the extended version will be my choice.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The result is that the trip down the river now becomes a RACE to Amon Hen, rather than a convergence from 2 different directions.
Agreed. This was a terrific addition to the EE IMO.
There's still a blooper during the river scenes however. It's when the shots of the gang are intercut with approaching Uruks. At one point Lurtz turns his head and looks at the camera, then followed by Legolas doing the same from the boat. The problem is, as the fellowship are travelling south and the baddies are coming from the west or south west, Legolas should have been looking over his right shoulder and not his left :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
To me, yes it does. I'm not sure Dan and others feel that way though.
I certainly feel that way, but I had to look at the big picture with this edition. The fact it feels more complete and a longer journey is of great joy to those of use who adore the novel, and in our respect it probably does make it a better film.
I still feel this edition isn't for everyone, that it's perhaps overkill for a lot of people who liked the theatrical cut a lot but may really have no interest in the additions here (in the long run of subsequent viewings). How much relevance any of the added material is to the casual fan of the film, I am none too sure.
I love all the additions and extensions as you can clearly see from my review, but I only feel one thing SHOULD have been there in the theatrical cut and that's the gift giving scene. It's so damn important, PJ should have never relented and cut that out.
Dan

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Question:

1- Was Gandalf's initial confrontation with the Balrog at the door ever filmed?

2- Was it included?

I am asking this because even if it was not included, I could still swear that such a scene was filmed: On the regular version, Gandalf identifies the Balrog, tells them to run. Cut to the stairs, where Gandlaf looks utterly exhausted and tell Aragorn to lead them on. I am certain there should have been somehting in between. Gandalf did not get tired by running such a short distance. Anyone agrees with this?

--
Holadem

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
FYI, my wife enjoyed the extended cut. The only material she didn't really think too useful were all of the additions at the beginning in the Shire (which I really liked).
I disagree with Dan (and others) in the inclusion of the gift-giving being the one worth fighting for. Most have lauded these scenes, and I concur. However, other elements would have been preferred by me, particularly the scene on the river Anduin between Aragorn and Boromir. It underscores some of the feelings between them, and it pays off during the film. The gift-giving scenes are important, but not critical, IMHO.
Feel free to lambast me,
Chuck ;)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well I agree Adunin stop over should have been there too as it happens. A) because yes, it furthers the situation between Aragorn and Boromir as you say, and B) Pehrpas most importantly of all, it is worth seeing that Gollum was still following them.

I also wish Amon Hen was as it is here theatrically.

Dan

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From reading the book, I thought that the gift giving scene WAS critical to future events. I'm not saying how (in case it's a spoiler) but there are future events in the next movie that rely on the gift giving.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, I said to lambast me, but I'll explain my reasoning. First, I understand the future of the gifts in the story (having read those same books myself :) )!
One, think in terms of the films. Most of the affection for the scene seems to come from those VERY familiar with the book. What purpose does SHOWING the giving of the gifts serve in the film? Yes, Sam's gift will be used. He'll call it Elvish rope, no doubt, so why show him getting it? No one has mentioned Legolas bow, used to great effect at Amon Hen? Did it need to be shown? The speech to Aragorn IS important, but the theme shown has already been effectively conveyed. The knives for the Hobbits will be used, but like the cloaks, inferrence might be enough. Which brings us to the sticking point: Gimli. This scene is warm and touching, but Gimli's affection for Galadriel CAN be shown later without this great scene. As for his change of heart, his friendship with Legolas is the cornerstone of this change, and TTT will showcase that.
So, in my opinion, this scene is NOT the most important to the films in the context of restored scenes. If Sam was given that BOX, then it would be necessary to show that, because that is critical THEMATICALLY. But it is not necessary in terms of the film Lord of the Rings, and even less so in terms of FOTR itself. The great scene (and it is great, make no mistake) is wonderful detail and background.
But the scene between Aragorn and Boromir is more than that. In terms of FOTR, it gives greater meaning to the arc of BOTH Boromir and Aragorn, breaks up the river sequence, and sets the stage even more effectively for Aragorn's speech to the dying Boromir. It serves a NEED in the film and the trilogy.
Like I said, I really like the gift-giving scene, and I am very happy for it's inclusion here. I simply do not feel that it is the most MISSED (or necessary) of the deleted scenes. It is not because I don't understand the scene, or the next few films. I just feel it's presence was not necessary in the three hour cut.
I love the scene. I am just defending my statement :)
Take that suckas,
Chuck

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>There's still a blooper during the river scenes however. It's when the shots of the gang are intercut with approaching Uruks. At one point Lurtz turns his head and looks at the camera, then followed by Legolas doing the same from the boat. The problem is, as the fellowship are travelling south and the baddies are coming from the west or south west, Legolas should have been looking over his right shoulder and not his left

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks