*** Official "EQUILIBRIUM" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ross Williams, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

This looks like it's gonna be another one of those good movies that gets released, but nobody even knows about. I haven't seen a single peep about it anywhere but the web. Check out the trailer and a good review.
    While it does look quite Matrixy, it doesn't seem to be copying the style simply to rake in the cash. It is actually supposed to have a strong sci-fi story. (While also having great action scenes.) The trailer shows that it's beautifully filmed. From what I see and hear, it looks like it could be a great film.
    It's opening in one theater in Seattle, so I'm guessing that it's playing in a few hundred theaters maximum. It'll "bomb" this weekend and be pulled soon after.
    I really don't get Dimension films, they don't seem to give a crap about the films that they release. The quite good "Below" got absolutely no advertising, "They" opened without me seeing a single thing about it, now "Equilibrium" is getting the same treatment. Is Dimension (Miramax) purposely trying to bury these films?

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Apparently it's Ray Bradbury's wonderful novel "Farenheit 451" retooled into an action film. I'm quite excited as well.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Taye Diggs & Emily Watson? Sold, even if it's at Boston's worst theater (Copley Square).

4. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I sure hope Toronto gets this film. I was really looking forward to the is one but I mean who knows now since
    we never got Below in theaters here as we were sopposed to.
    I even saw Posters and banners for below but strangely never got it. I mean we got plenty of bad films before so why not give it to us. I want to see this.

-Mike

5. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Anything about a future Totalitarian society, count me in!

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

7. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Judging from the response, Dimension is doing a horrible job promoting this. Even the film buffs aren't interested.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Well, I'm off to see it with friends tomorrow, and the trailer's created a good buzz after being spread around here at work.

Dimension REALLY need to get their marketing into gear - it's had /zero/ marketing here in Dallas that I've seen/heard of and comes out today.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Elvis Mitchell's review in the New York Times was one of the most vicious I've ever seen from him. Here's a quote you won't be seeing on the poster:

10. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

I have to check if my theaters are showing it, but I want to check it out.

11. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    Unbelievable! 32 screens between Boston Common and Fenway, and it gets stuck in Copley. Hmmm, do I need to do any Christmas shopping out in Framingham this weekend?

12. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I may now skip this. I don't feel like traveling to theaters that I know will make me sit in the 5th row from the front because of my wheelchair.

13. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Done and done. I'll put a review in a proper review thread. Is it perfect? No. Is it well done? Yes.

And the question that matters...

Do the action scenes kick ass?

Yes they do.

Take care,
    Chuck

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Equilibrium". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Equilibrium" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

15. Ruth_F

Ruth_F Stunt Coordinator

Wow I saw this in october and forgot it as soon as it was gratefully over. i just realized the dallas morning news gave it a B- --- maybe it it's a guy thing because i would say more like a c-

16. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Dimension certainly dumped this one. (Word I'd had was it wasn't opening here, and then a day later, two or three days before it opens, word comes that yes it will play in town.)

I liked it. Does it have a lot in common with other futuristic films? Yes. Can you spot the influences? Sure. But this worked a lot better for me than the usual sci-fi sludge. It's far, far better than Impostor. Not a great film but a decent one that I'd merit being good enough. FWIW, Roger Ebert gave it a three star review.

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

18. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Hey,my two cents? The movie did what it set out to and did it well. That movie kicked all sorts of ass! To bad not enogh people will see it,it realy deserves some attention.If nothing else at least for the fights,they were unbelievably cool!!! A must have when it hits dvd! [​IMG]
    Luis S

19. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I read a bunch of the negative reviews when I got back from this one. Frankly, I just don't get them.

Yeah, the film is mostly unoriginal. Whoopee! So are a lot of good films. The individual standing up to an oppressive society is a time honored sci-fi standard. It worked in "Logan's Run", "The Matrix", "Farenheit 451", "Gattaca", a million Trek episodes and more.

And, it works here. Bale is perfect as Preston, the few nice twists/reversals at the end were fun and well timed, the action scenes were great - particularly for low budget (I really like that they attempted to explain "gun kata"...it added something to it), and the old theme was well communicated.

Taye was awfully over-the-top emotional for an unemotional Cleric...but, oh well.

It IS far better than "Imposter" or several other PK Dick ripoffs.

Did I mention I liked Bale? Because his journey and struggle MAKE this film.

I hope it has a good life on DVD, 'cuz if you don't catch it this week - it's gone.

20. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

I also hope that it gets a decent DVD.