What's new

*** Official EASTERN PROMISES Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
David Cronenberg's new film opens wide tomorrow!

It's been in a theater in Houston for for a week or two but I wasn't up for that trip.

Anybody seen this yet?

Heard a good interview with David & Viggo on NPR.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't seen it yet, but I do think Cronenberg seems to be reaching the height of his skills. I certainly think he is one of the most talanted and interesting directors working today. His recent movies like Spider, eXistenZ and A History of Violence have all been quite good.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You know, I don't think it's spoilable. Every review talks about it, and there's even an excerpt in the trailer, and it still kicked me in the gut.

M.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Still, reviewers and even trailers spoil movies all the time. It's nice to not contribute.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's why I didn't refer to it until someone else brought it up (in a post now moved to the Official Review Thread). But if you read almost any article on the film -- even the various interviews with Mortensen that have been appearing lately -- the reporters just can't help themselves.

M.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Eastern Promises". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Eastern Promises" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I think I know what you're feeling. While I enjoyed the film immensely, I felt as though it could have been an epic tale, in the vein of The Godfather or even The Departed. Cronenberg and Co. restrained themselves and let it play as a deliberately paced, nice, little movie.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I really liked it. Nathan noted the subtle sense of dread which pervades the film. This is accomplished without any obvious devices that I could notice. Except perhaps.. something about the cinematography which somehow highlights the most unpleasant facial features of the characters/actors. It's not just the absense of the Hollywood gloss (after all every grainy indie out there has dispensed of that sheen) -- there is something else. Everyone seem wrinklier, and frankly uglier than they've looked in any other movie. Weird.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Many things contribute to the sense of dread, but I think the most direct and powerful is the simple device of having the film narrated by the deceased Tatiana reading excerpts from her diary. It continuously reminds you of the young and naive girl who was ruthlessly exploited (and ultimately killed) as part of a routine sex trafficking operation. So you're always aware that, no matter how restrained and polite Nikolai is, or how courtly and grandfatherly Semyon appears to be, these are men without the slightest compunction when it comes to their business. If business requires, they will not hesitate to do anything to anyone.
M.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I think that is the kind of expectations glowing reviews have set. I am glad I read none before I went in. Literally all I knew was that Cronenberg was back with Mortensen (and Watts) in a thriller and that word was good. That's all.
It's been hard to recognize the film I saw in some of the reviews I've read since, to be honest. A bit too much emphasis on the plot and not enough on the wet, modly, mostly uncomfortable feel of the thing.

--
H

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
****possible spoilers****

I caught this movie over the weekend knowing nothing about it other than who's in it and who the director is.

I'm glad as well that I didn't read any reviews as I also believe they would have tainted my ability to enjoy this film.

Someone made a point that this is, "a nice little movie" when it could have maybe been epic... I agree for the most part, but doesn't it seem like there could be a 2nd installment to continue the story?? If so, I would be first in line to see it!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Perry,
No need for eight-asterick-spoilers in the discussion thread.

We're assumed to have seen the flick if we're here.

But, it was a kind thought. :)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Please understand I loved the flick. My comments were a response to those who wanted more (for whatever reason). I thought all involved showed great restraint. A sequel is in order, and I'd fight you to be first in line.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Interesting point, and I was one of them.
My post (#1) was made before this was declared to be the ***Official WHIZ BANG Discussion Thead***.

I've just finished reading the "POLL- Do you want to return to Review/Discussion separate threads?...thread.
I guess I was still motorcycle shopping when that appeared in July, I'd never seen it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks