What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I feel extremely left out. Being born after 82, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the original E.T. And even then all my friends kept ranting about how it was an allegory for Jesus Christ
which completely ruined that element for me. I don't even agree with that statement. Anyway, I do remember going to the gas station and getting multiple bags of Reeses Pieces before it started. I just recently ordered the UGS from DDD for $50 which I think is a good deal. $10 for each disc and book. Anyway, I didn't much enjoy the '02 E.T. so I can't wait to see the '82 version.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have NEVER heard that the story is allegorical in the way that you mention. For me, it's completely unrelated. Some people see what they want to see anywhere they look for it though.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I was thinking the other day about how E.T. is VERY close to the Christ story, actually. I mean, c'mon...he comes down to Earth from "somewhere else" and impacts all the people around him, bringing them closer together, giving them hope. They all believe in E.T. But then, the forces of evil come and they capture him...and he dies. But he's reborn! And he rises up into the sky again to go back to his celestial home.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I'd say $50 is a good price. The book itself (which is excellent) goes for around $25. I got in on the Sam Goody misprice but as of Fri. the 25th I hadn't received them yet so I went to Best Buy and got one for $59.60 total. Eats into the savings from the misprice but I couldn't control myself.;) It's an extremely well put together package.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Received my ET: UGS from Amazon in the post yesterday. An absolutely gorgeous presentation except for one little gripe. Three of the four corners of my box are ripped to various degrees. Probably due to the weight of its contents.

I was wondering, has anyone else received a box in the same condition, or is it just me?

John

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Coincidently, I also received the gift set yesterday, John.
Mine even traveled a little further. :)
I got it from Amazon.ca, for about US$ 37 (CAD$ 57) including shipping, and it arrived in perfect condition.
The most chaotic release ever (also considering other regions), and I must have changed my mind at least four times about which version to get, but a great set nonetheless. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was thinking the other day about how E.T. is VERY close to the Christ story, actually. I mean, c'mon...he comes down to Earth from "somewhere else" and impacts all the people around him, bringing them closer together, giving them hope. They all believe in E.T. But then, the forces of evil come and they capture him...and he dies. But he's reborn! And he rises up into the sky again to go back to his celestial home.
i agree totally with that.
i never really noticed the similarity until i heard a radio host of a movie only talk show out of philly mention this.
(1210 am sat nights 10p-1a east)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Now that I have seen the dvd I am positive that I did not hear the moan in the theatre in 1982...however, I do remember it being there in 1985...so, perhaps the previous releases were taken from the 85 track since they included the moan and deleted the terrorist line...even my mom said, oh no that wasn't there originally (the moan, that is.)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Now that I have seen the dvd I am positive that I did not hear the moan in the theatre in 1982...
Further proof that 20 year old memory cannot be trusted. :)
I'm glad you ended up getting the disc, Scott. And I'm glad you enjoyed it. :emoji_thumbsup:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
People, can anyone tell what the story with the deleted scenes is? Are they available on the Total Axes (sp) thing? If not, can anyone perhaps encode them from their LD, cause it's obvious Universal doesn't want people to see them.

nousername

Supporting Actor
The comparisons between E.T. and Christ are almost as old as the film itself. Ted Koppel once said of E.T.: "It is essentially the Christ Story. Christ was the ultimate extraterrestrial." (Source: The 100 Greatest Movies of All Time, Entertainment Weekly, 1999)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the 2002 version tonight (watched the 1982 version last week). The 2002 definitely has a brighter, slightly higher contrast transfer - which may be slightly more clear than the 1982 version (which still looks very good - maybe a little more filmlike).

The audio seemed to be exactly the same for both (listened in DTS).

I can say without a doubt, the 1982 version is a better film for reasons others already stated.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
How many got a bilingual E.T. cover (2-disc)?

This is kind of curious.....
Not one person has uploaded the all-U.S. cover to DVD Profiler as of today. Every E.T. option on Profiler shows ONLY the bilingual cover. Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks