What's new

***Official "Dark Side of the Moon" Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Just got back from BB Tulsa, a HUGE display with about 40 copies. Its pretty bad(or good) when the employees greet you when you enter by saying "That new SACD is over there!":D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I stopped by the Best Buy in Dearborn at lunch and was successful in tracking down a copy. They were displayed on an endcap -- there were probably 20 copies left. I first checked under "Pink Floyd" in the CD section, and all they had was numerous copies of the 1992 remastered version.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
BB in Holmdel NJ has about 25 copies in the CD section. I didn't see any special advertising around, but I really didn't look for it. No copies were in the SACD section.

Doug

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I went to the Landmark Center BEST BUY in Boston--they have them, but they aren't displayed in either the CD or SACD section. Find an employee. The discs are still on a cart near the back of the CD section, though they seemed to be preparing to stock them in the bins. Looks like they have about 40.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Apparently from the feedback at the Asylum, it isn't available in stores in Canada.

Didn't see any at HMV myself.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
OK - so here's how my day has gone so far...........

3 Wal-Marts, 1 Fry's Electronics, & 2 Targets and ya know what I got?

None, nada, zip, ugots(sp?), bupkis!

I feel like Phoenix doesn't give a rats ass about DSOTM.

I guess I'll try BB on the way home tonight.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Al,

I picked mine up at the best buy at 44th and Cactus, they had an endcap with about 40 copies or so. You can't miss the giant prism decor!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Grabbed mine from Best Buy and has been noted earlier, the disc was found on the end cap. There were still quite a few copies left, but these should move by the end of the week I would think with the 11.99 price tag. The sticker on the front of the disc has in very very small print mention that this disc plays on both SACD and CD. This could lead to some confusion as on the sticker it is made clear that this is an SACD in larger print. Probably not a big deal though.

Now for the bad. The store I bought my copy from had zero SACD players available for sale. This precludes people from buying the disc and a new SACD player to listen to their new disc in surround. Now for the good. It looks like this particular store has actually begun to get some new SACD in stock from Sony(for the new Multichannel music section) , as evidenced by new copies using the plastic instead of paper slipcase.

J

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Just got this today, put it into my dvd player ( Denon dvd 3000) and it wouldn't read the disc!!!! Maybe it is because it won't read CD RW either! Listed to it on another cd player defiantly an improvment over the normal cd !! Much more clarity and depths! Now I just have to look for a new player...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Just got this today, put it into my dvd player ( Denon dvd 3000) and it wouldn't read the disc!!!!
Kris,

I have a Samsung DVD/HDCD player that is only 2 years old that won't play SACD hybrids.

Fortunately the player is not in my main system. There are plenty of players out there that can't play SACD hybrids. Note the 'fine print' of being sold 'as is' on the back of the DSotM disc...

KrisM

Second Unit
My Sony ES player in my truck won't play hybrids. A funny thing happened with the Police hits disc though, it played fine in my truck. But when I played the 5.1 track in my home system, there were places where the audio would drop-out. I exchanged it today, I'll have to try the new copy in the truck and see if it plays.

Regards
KrisM

Miles

Second Unit
Have any Canadians located this SACD in retail locations? HMV, Walmart, Futureshop, Musicworld etc?

Thanks,

Miles

KrisM

Second Unit
I tried A&B Sound, Futureshop, HMV and even Walmart yesterday and no luck. Most places didn't even know it was coming out. There was a post somewhere that said the Canadian discs were mixed as mono on the 5.1 track so they were being re-pressed.

Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks