What's new

*** Official "DAREDEVIL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I caught "Daredevil" on Sunday (used that free pass from the "X-Men 1.5" DVD, eheh.)

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would as I'm one of those guys who thinks someone like Affleck carries baggage with him into roles and therefore can't really buy into his characters. However I really liked him as Matt Murdoch/Daredevil.

I loved the visuals concerning how he could "see" using sound. Very well done IMO.

I noticed some of you had a problem with the songs used and normally I'd agree but they didn't stick out as bad for me, I especially liked that song used during Electra's training scene. C'mon, when most people work out they listen to hard stuff to get them pumped up so I just imagined she had her stereo blasting this stuff out.

Duncan was so-so as Kingpin. I say that only because there wasn't enough of his character, it was like the director just threw him out there "Ok gang, he's a big guy who loves his cigars and is crime. That's it." I wanted to see him more as a true mastermind.

Loved Favreu (sp?) as Foggy, VERY funny and enjoyed every second of his screen time.

Farell as Bullseye, in a movie this dark (one of the darker PG-13 movies I've seen in a while...Daredevil's line "That light that you see at the end of the tunnel? It's not heaven, it's the C train!" Wow) you needed something over-the-top and Farell provides a good deal of fun.

I do wish the film was longer and perhaps more R rated (apparently we'll get that on the DVD, good!) but overall enjoyed the hell out of myself.

Now the trailers....

OHHH MYYYY GOOOODDDDD! "X-Men 2" is SOOOO gonna rock! Another poster echoed my thoughts about this trailer being filled to the brim with money shots. This looks like what a sequel should be, take what worked in the first film and expand on it. More characters, drama, bigger fights and FX, etc etc etc. I cannot wait!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Er...have you ever seen a Kevin Smith movie??

No disrespect to the guy, but he's got the 'visual' skills of a cactus.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I disagree, Dogma looked very nice, as did J&SBSB, and at that, hell all his films look pretty nice! I think he could do a really visual film and I know he wouldnt screw up a comic flick.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd vote no for Kevin Smith directing an action flick as well. He's good for the snappy dialog, but "motion" and "film" are two concepts he can't handle simultaneously.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im not gonna go into a long review but I will say I enjoyed Daredevil.
I am familiar with the comics and think Affleck suprisingly did a really good job.

:star: :star: :star: out of 4 :star:s

By the way, I completely forgot about sticking around after the credits:frowning: can someone tell me what happened witha spoiler tag

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Sure, heres what happened:

I'd vote no for Kevin Smith directing an action flick as well. He's good for the snappy dialog, but "motion" and "film" are two concepts he can't handle simultaneously
I disagree, I just dont think he's been given much of a chance to do anything all that action-y. Dogma and J&SBSB look real nice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I disagree, I just dont think he's been given much of a chance to do anything all that action-y. Dogma and J&SBSB look real nice.
Deja vu!:)

I'm hearing that Jersey Girl is supposed to be pretty gorgeous and Jay and Silent Bob looked good for the material. Smith handles actors well, he just needs a good D.P. behind him.

James T

Screenwriter
Has anyone read Kevin Smith's Superman script? I only read a bit of it, but if wanted to direct that movie it would have cost him lots o money. He included as many Superman villians as he could in one script. I like him as a writer, but my problem with Daredevil was that there was too much DD comic history jammed into 90 mins. Kevin Smith seemed like he wanted to jam the whole Superman history into a movie.
Other than that, if Kevin Smith were to write a comic movie, and try to limit all the jamming, it could be a pretty decent flick. He has some of the best dialogue in any movie.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
In fairness to Smith (whose writing I generally don't like), his job on Superman was to take the things that the producer wanted in the movie, such as the Death/Return of Superman storyline, giant spider, gay robot, and no classic Superman costume, and mix all that together in one movie. It was a job that would have given any screenwriter plenty of problems :)

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, here's something that I don't think has been mentioned yet (and has been bugging me): what were Matt and Foggy doing in the rapist courtroom scene?

They're defense attorneys, yet this was obviously a criminal case, as Matt seemed to be trying to convince the jury to convict, while also defending the woman who was raped. Besides, if it isn't a criminal case, it makes no sense for the next sequence where DD tracks down the rapist and throws him in front of the train.

Am I the only one who was confused by this?

Howie A

Second Unit
Am I alone in thinking it was visually a bit too dark?

Why is anyone excited about this movie to come out on DVD?
I could not wait for it to hit the theaters and I have to say that I was mighty disappointed!! I feel anyone going to see a movie that is based on a comic book superhero intends on "SEEING" some action scenes, whether it be fighting, jumping-flying.. I felt it was too dark to even enjoy the action sequences.
The first scene were DD is introduced to the movie and the audience, it is so dark you can barely make it out. (the bar fight..) That scene should have been spectacular. Not only was it dark but all the action scenes just seemed to be very jerky and dark with some flashing of light... I know they wanted to stay true to the real dark feel of the story and all, (possibly even showing it from Matt, DD perspective) but I don't want to just hear the action I want to see it..
I left the movie thinking how can someone allow this movie to be released when it looked so poorly.
Who is to blame for such a unfinished, unpolished piece of work? Although I felt the acting and story were good.

James T

Screenwriter
Howie,

The movie was dark to hide the bad cgi :)

Seriously, I think the director wanted to do a Crow-like film. In the Crow, he kills people for revenge, leaves his symbol through the use of fire and there is a shootout almost totally in the dark.

All three of those scenes worked better in the Crow than in DD.

Watching the trailer on tv, I think the action sequences look a lot better if they added a bit more light.

sheldon M.

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was an excellent movie. The only part I had a problem with was Affleck and Garner's little "dance" in the park. But what the heck-it's a comic book dammit-one I used to read in the 60's. In some ways I liked it better than Spiderman-I could never get over the "Power Ranger" look of the Green Goblin. The fights in this movie were cool and Daredevil's attitude was mean and nasty-it was really good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Murdock and Nelson were representing, I think, the plaintiff (the rape victim), and trying to paint the guy as a rapist to gain sympathy by the jury for, probably, some monetary amount for pain and suffering in a civil case. Who knows. Maybe I'll pay more attention the next time I see the movie.

It's like when O.J. was the defendent in the wrongful death suit and the families of Nicole and Ronald were the plaintiffs (and would be represented by lawyers, like Murdock and Nelson).

Murdock and Nelson aren't just defense lawyers. They can bring suit on the behalf of their clients too.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Can someone please explain to me how Daredevil can leap off of buildings and jump real high and whatnot? As far as I know he doesn't have superhuman strength, just superhuman senses (except sight of course).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks