What's new

*** Official CONSTANTINE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I was waiting to see if the white hair guy was hurt but they never show him again.

All those other guys who had their eyes closed the whole time were just unbelievable. If it was me, I would have ran the hell out of there :D.
I don't care what an exocist tells me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I seem to actually remember them saying in the movie that the blood of Christ was what made the Spear of Destiny powerful [protecting the one who wielded it from the car wreck] and also why it was needed to bring Mammon over to the human world. I never read the comics so that had to be in the film, as I don't have any other source I could have drawn it from.

With the Mordor statement you put imeediately after this, I'm not sure if you were serious with this question or if it is just the leader into your punch line ;) but I will answer this part by saying I don't think they ever made it clear that the spear was evil. It is powerful, and whomever wields it will wield it to his/her own desires.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Kinda along the same lines behind the whole reason the Nazis wanted the "Ark of the Convenant" in "Raiders of the Lost Ark." That's one reason I think I didn't really like the film. It tried to emulate that whole story line only using the spear instead of the Ark.:frowning:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

A little of both. :D

There just seemed to be no background on the Spear so I had no idea what it does or why it does it, but the evil people seem to keep looking for it and the good people keep hiding it (wrapping it in Nazi flags for safe-keeping, apparently). So it seems to have little purpose for anyone seeking to do good, or it corrupts them so that even the good who wield it will eventually turn evil (like in that other story). :wink:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From the context of the film, the spear was important because it had the blood of Christ on it, and that was an important ingredient in getting Mammon corporeal on earth.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Alanis Morrisette??

Why would Mammon need the spear to come to the corporeal world. It seemed like demons had not problem appearing....1-the bug demon, the possesed girl demon almost made it out and the ones that almost got Keanu & Angela out on the street.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But that in and of itself does not mean the spear is evil. And it didn't start with Raiders either. You know the old adage "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

The act of doing good (and accepting good deeds) has to be a voluntary act. You can't *force* a good act upon someone, so what exactly would the forces of good do with the spear? It renders the bearer nearly invincible, great, what good does that do mankind? But for someone with evil intent, the uses are quite clear.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Was everyones take on Chas was that he was human? I saw it more like he was Constantine's guardian angel (fact somehow hidden from Constantine)....which would put an interesting twist on things in that even God's players were just as capable of breaking the rules as well as God.

Puts an interesting twist on the premise. I'm basing this on the belief that angels are not past humans....humans can never be angels which makes us a little special. Angels are something else but were never humans (follows Milton's Paradise Lost).

The PC chewing gum ending was dissapointing. It takes away from the established character. I really hope for a sequel to this. Crappier movies get a second go and this wasn't crappy....a solid B effort and will grace my shelf in the collection.

End of Days like but moodier and much better overall. The biggest problem was that they tried to cram so much into one film.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
My take on Chas was that he was a half breed, but either Constantine didnt see for some reason it or he simply didnt mention it.

I dont think Chas was breaking the rules, it seems his main mission was not helping Constantine fight hell, but trying to influence Constantine to do good.

Guess i am a bit late to chime in here, but i want to get my .02 cents in too!!! I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!

there. i feel better :)

no seriously, it was a great flick and I can't believe it did so well opening week in the states with over $30 million. i think it did over $11 million it's first weekend in Asia and only on 450 screens. For an R rated movie, you can't get much better. Constantine even beat out the Matrix opening. that only did like $27 million.

good stuff...good stuff...I might even check it out again tonight!!

larry

EricW

Senior HTF Member
just saw this movie and after reading some of this thread, i was surprised to hear the story was based on the comic (don't know why, maybe because the movie seemd so Hollywood). my only exposure to the Costantine character is from the Moore's Swmap Thing stories and also from Morrision's Doom Patrol.

anyways someone said that in the comic, it's explicitly shown that Constantine planned the whole incident with the Devil? the movie's ambiguity on the subject in better in my opinion, because:
1) Constantine can only get to Heaven if we makes a true sacrifice; if he knew that sacrificing himself would result in going to Heaven, then it wouldn't really be a sacrifice, would it? it would only be a sacrifice if he truly believed he would go to hell. otherwise he could just contrive something like "get person A to shoot person B, and then at the last minute, jump in front of person B and take the bullet, knowing that this was a sacrifice that could get him into heaven and escape hell" it's not exactly the same thing but you get the point - it was not a sacrifice but rather a gesture.
2) Constantine surviving is a bit of a cop-out. if he'd gone to heaven, then the story is complete, and all payoffs are maxed. now, as another poster said, he starts the next(?) movie with a clean slate and that's just plain wierd:)
maybe they can play the rebirth angle. they should have just killed him and done a prequel.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But I believe that previous posts indicated that is what happened in the comics (I never read them) so him surviving is being true to the source material. Of course, those posts also indicated that it seemed (in the comics) that Constantine had it planned all along that the devil would cure him, whereas in the movie it seemed more serendipitous.

Colton

Supporting Actor

Absolutely not. Nowhere in the Bible does it demonstrate that angels ever displayed healing powers. Angels were just messengers and nothing more. Even Christ made it clear that his healing powers did not originate from him, but from God. So, to answer your question, no, Satan has no ability to cure.

- Colton

John Doran

Screenwriter
Revelations 13:11-15

[11] Then I saw another beast which rose out of the earth; it had two horns like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon.
[12] It exercises all the authority of the first beast in its presence, and makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose mortal wound was healed.
[13] It works great signs, even making fire come down from heaven to earth in the sight of men;
[14]
and by the signs which it is allowed to work in the presence of the beast, it deceives those who dwell on earth, bidding them make an image for the beast which was wounded by the sword and yet lived;
[15] and it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast so that the image of the beast should even speak, and to cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain.

Judges 6:20-22

[20] And the angel of God said to him, "Take the meat and the unleavened cakes, and put them on this rock, and pour the broth over them." And he did so.
[21]Then the angel of the LORD reached out the tip of the staff that was in his hand, and touched the meat and the unleavened cakes; and there sprang up fire from the rock and consumed the flesh and the unleavened cakes; and the angel of the LORD vanished from his sight.
[22] Then Gideon perceived that he was the angel of the LORD; and Gideon said, "Alas, O Lord GOD! For now I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face."

the bible clearly implies that angels can work miracles; and healing, after all, is just a kind of miraculous intervention. right?

besides, the bible also doesn't say that angels don't have healing powers.

Colton

Supporting Actor

The bible also doesn't say that angels didn't have a massive DVD collection and had nightly screenings of Star Wars in Bethlehem to all the locals.

So, because something isn't in the bible we should automatically assume it should be?

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks