What's new

*** Official CLOVERFIELD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I freaking loved it... and yes both me and the wife heard the comment that is at the very end of the movie. Can you say part II!

We thought the person who said it was more of a military person....

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it. Here's my theory about the monster:

It's an Alien creature from deep space that has lived in the ocean's depths for millions of years. The monsters(I believe there were many) were brought to earth by an alien race long ago, and upon their command the monsters are programmed to annihilate the human species, so they can take control. The monster was seemingly impervious to all weapons so it couldn't have been an earthly creature.

It sounds really dumb, but it's the best I could come up with:)

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that bothered me also.

But, those little lice monsters were sick. :eek:

Finally, when they went onto the street for the first time and saw the Liberty head. I kept thinking. Man I would hate to be a NY State Farm insurance agent after this. ;)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Forgot to mention it also, Hud was freaking hilarious... and I agree with what someone else said about the homeless guy on fire.. I was almost in tears.

I also like how Hud, at the party would get right up in the peoples face for the good bye's. Too funny.

I actually did not get sick to my stomach. I did find myself wanting more in terms of look to the left, look to the right etc more. But that was part of the beauty of it for me.

I can fore see a sequeal coming our way.

Re: the splash. When and where do you see it in the film exactly?

Fixed name from Hug to Hud....

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I believe his name is Hud, as in Heads Up Display lol.

The splash happens in the very last cut scene shown of Coney Island.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I loved it. It was fast, scary, intense, and surprisingly funny - not just during the opening sequence (which had some terribly funny moments), but peppered all the way through the film (the flaming homeless guy scene being a particular highlight).

I thought the POV was on the whole effective, and made the film a very unique experience - seeing the experience through one person's eyes. I was however bothered by some of the moments where I didn't think a person would actually be filming (the bridge collapse, the attack of the "lice monsters", and crossing between the buildings, were all moments where I would have thought Hud would just drop the camera to his side and run). I am disappointed by the number of people that seem let down because the origins of the monster was never revealed. The film was never about that - when you're running for your life, you may wonder "what is that thing", but you're not going to actually stop and try and find out the answer because it's not actually important to you.

One thing I found myself thinking about in the leadup to the film was the way Godzilla was originally about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and I found myself pondering whether Cloverfield would be similarly about 9/11. And I found the film actually works quite well when viewed in this way - and some of my friends even picked up on the similarities. The destruction of a New York icon, following immediately by the collapse of a building, the dust enveloping the streets, and the POV format - I found these to all be strong elements that seemed to be using the fantastic element as a safe way of exploring the immediate impact of 9/11 on the people involved.

I am worried by reports that they are working on a sequel. As I said in another thread, it is difficult to think how they could make it work. Using footage from another camera would be way too similar and improbable (there were two people running around NY with cameras trying to get close to the monster? The only way you might make that work would be if it was a news crew, but didn't they use that in Godzilla '98?). You could do it as an after-the-fact documentary compiling various sources of footage (news, video cameras, camera phone footage), but that would be too distancing with no characters in the events to get close to. Or they could do it as a more conventional movie, which would definitely work, but would probably be disappointing after a film as radical as this one.

But it was a brilliant movie, and one I absolutely loved.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I was thinking of the Hiroshima/911 similarities the whole time. This is in many ways a far truer successor to Godzilla.

I also think a sequel is probably a bad idea for the same reasons you mentioned. If they do another "found footage" premise, that would just be stupid. Sequels should further the original, not repeat it. And if they go with a traditional narrative, it will likely devolve into a standard action movie. They'd probably bring back Lily and turn her into a Sigourney Weaver. Given all that, they COULD make an excellent sequel with another, different, more evolved premise, but I won't hold my breath. They've already gone on record saying "maybe someone else was filming their journey that night too!" Brilliant!! :rolleyes

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I get what you mean about it not being really original to have the first person viewpoint for a sequel but you can see other dunces taking pictures of the Statue Of Liberty's head as it's laying in the street so it's well within the realm of possibility.

I think we live in a world where a huge number of people use their camera phone and video camera to record every stupid, boring thing they do or see so if something that was actually interesting happened, there'd be tons of people who would have taped it all too. I guess what I mean is if one group of boneheads bothered to tape themselves in a life and death struggle, why not another? :)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Have you checked out the website lately? I haven't in a couple of weeks but there seems to be some new pictures up:

--

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
You can flip the pictures over, a couple have writing on the back.
Hold the left mouse button and move the mouse quickly and it will flip. Have found 3 so faqr, but one is in Japanese....

Sparky753

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I just got back from the theater, and it was AWESOME! I was totally on the edge of my seat from the first time the building shakes at the party! The shaky cam became less and less noticable as I found myself getting into the movie. I did, however, start to get a little naucious right before the one exploded!

HUD was hilarious, and was the cause of many points of nervous laughter in the theater. I have to say that when the monster got him, I thought to myself, "So, that is what it would be like to be eaten by a monster." That was after I said, "Oh ^$%@!"

All in all, great movie. Definitely needs to be experienced in the theater. I'm going to have to go back to see the splash.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
While I freakin' loved every milisecond of this movie, I just can't envision a sequel, I just can't. This was a one shot deal, no way could any sequel add to or improve on this type of magic again.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, the soundtrack was good. That having been said, this is the first movie I've walked out on in a very long time. That has nothing to do with the film quality or my appreciation of it; normally people say "I walked out, it was terrible" but that wasn't it; something about the cinematography started to get me incredibly sea-sick by about an hour in (very bad as they were running the tunnel to the building climb section). Blah! I don't know, I haven't had issues with shaky cam in other films, but this one got me so bad, I had to leave the theater for a while, go puke, and then sit in the back and listen for a while before I could jump back in.

Not saying that the film was "bad" or that it spooked me, just wow, my eyes were absolutely swimming; I absolutely had to sit through the credits, not expecting anything but needing time to physically recover so I could drive home.

Not sure I'd recommend it based on that, but it was interesting.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian

I'd love to see the event from the POV of a military team on the ground. In that case we might learn more about the monster, or at least hear some of the government theories. The scene where Marlena's head explodes could be where the two movies crossover.

That being said, I sincerely hope that we NEVER GET A SEQUEL.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I wonder if we're going to see a flood of "POV" movies hitting the theaters if this one is financially successful...word has it that George Romero already has a POV zombie movie in the works. Man, I really should buy stock in Dramamine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks