What's new

*** Official CLOVERFIELD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
another comment... this could make sense : From what I have seen and heard the thing that falls is a part of a Tagruato satellite and supposedly the company looking for the piece that fell is what woke the monster up.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this movie. The character setup was great. The monster was awesome. Hud was funny as shit. Loved the flaming homeless guy line. The tunnel scene had me freaking out. And the ending was spot on. I mean they tell you in the first minute of the movie how it ends. Can't wait for the DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, no more spoilers! If you haven't seen this film then you shouldn't be reading a discussion thread about it that has over 60 posts.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, there has got to be some great potential for this on DVD, I would love to see stuff like all the full news broadcasts and stuff like that as extras.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
It's from the very end of the the movie. At the end of the credits, you hear some static and some reversed speech. The clip linked to is that played in reverse. What you hear is "It's still alive".

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
^ Well, I believe Lily survived. At first I thought that thing crashing to the ground while the others took off was her helicopter, but looking closer, it wasn't.

I saw it again today. Just as effective the second time around. I got a better look at the splash I mentioned earlier. Definitely something there, though the IMDB boards confirmed that for me last night.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Oh I was thinking this took place at the end of the movies time line, the Ferris Wheel scene is one of the "flashbacks" with Rob and Beth right? If so, I find it unbelievably coincidental that they'd happen to film that weeks before the attack, and wouldn't people have noticed a giant monster, or even a little monster who grew up bitter and unloved, splashing into the ocean?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It's genuinely scary, and the constraint of information enforced by the POV was extremely effective. The gimmick of taping over an existing account of Rob and Beth was also effectively done, and very heartwrenching at the end. The film maintained its integrity with regard to its self-imposed constraints, and most directors, I think, would have found this unworkable. But they pulled it off in Cloverfield.

I missed the splash at the end. Now I have to buy the DVD. ;)

We do know one thing about the ending that wasn't on the recovered footage. The military was authorized to commence with operation "Hammer Down" (or "Hammer Something"), which I think was a nuclear strike on Manhatten. Since we know the camera was recovered, I think it's a fair bet that they didn't nuke the city. So they managed to subdue the monster, or the monster got bored and left on its own, or they were prevented in some way from initiating the nuclear strike. Any of these scenarios would be good fodder for a sequel.

One nitpick I have, however, is that I simply can't abide the premise that a creature made of flesh, blood, and bone could take such abuse from very powerful military weapons and still be a threat.

I hope a sequel is forthcoming soon.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
How come? It got stuck in the rubble of the bridge, so the fact that the camera survived the collapse means that it had a chance of surviving a nuclear blast.

That, my friends, is build quality. :P ;)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure if it was ever stated that it was a nuclear strike. I recall it pretty much called for the leveling of Manhattan, but I took it to mean, at the time, non nuclear. I would think that even though it was a massive monster, nuking a metropolitan area would be a complete last resort.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the monster's arrival, some at IMDB have theorized that it was part of a satellite mentioned in the viral marketing that fell into the sea. I haven't delved into the marketing much yet, so I wouldn't know, though I intend to check all of that out soon. As a fan of Lost, it's nice to see this kind of little "in the background" touch that's so prominent in that series.

Another interesting little tidbit: If you go by the days which the dates fall on, the film should take place in 2009.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Obsessed with the splash, I've done some research (I read the boards at IMDB and someone else explained it). The splash was from a fallen satellite (or piece of).

One of the viral websites for the film was TAGRUATO CORP. . A fake corporation whose site talked about a damaged satellite, when the film opened the site went "offline" because the satellite "crashed."

I think the idea may have been that they went looking for the wreckage and woke the monster up. I'm still pissed at the unlikeliness they'd have caught this on tape, but w/e.

I've read that J.J. Abrams was quoted saying the monster laid dormant in the ocean for thousands of year, if anyone sees this quote somewhere please link.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, but after a nuclear blast, would YOU go into the hot zone to recover that amazingly well-built camera?

I thought not. :)

As for nuking vs. leveling, I think it's correct that nukes were not explicitely mentioned. But I fail to see what good it would do to level the city using the same conventional weapons that couldn't destroy the monster directly. If they level the city, and the monster is still alive, then what's next, leveling the state? :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
They may have waited until the hot zone wasn't "hot" anymore. It could've been months or years after the bombing until the camera was found. Or, they may have sent in robots to start the cleanup work and found it that way. Who knows? :)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I loved the movie but it sure made me sick. I fought throwing up and several people had to walk out. It's too bad they couldn't have made it easier to watch visually. I was kept from really enjoying it because I was fighting nausea so bad.

Also so we know that at the end the "whipser" says "it's still alive". Wouldn't the question be who said that? Did Beth and Ron survive after all? Who's whipser was it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks