What's new

*** Official CINDERELLA MAN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I was surprised at how much I really liked this movie. A wonderful story wonderfully told. I'm not going to get into the slight nitpicking that plagued this thread and instead I'm just going to comment on the world I saw, which was breathtakingly real and harsh. I still don't care for Crowe's offscreen antics (if so, I'd hate every Jamie Foxx movie), but I thought he did a bang-up (no pun intended) job and brought dare I say a real sensitivity and humanity to the role. I felt a little choked up at the end, and that doesn't happen too much with me.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Well put Kain,

I agree that Crowe isn't going to when any humanitarian roles any time soon, but its hard to argue his incredible talent for becoming whoever he portrays in his films. Totally believable as Jim Braddock.

Absolutely loved this movie, ranked it #1 for 2005. I thought it had everything a great movie should have, and yes, I too got a little misty eyed during a few parts (mostly the relationship with his wife and kids fighting poverty).

Crowe deserves an Oscar Nom, but I doubt he will get it after his off screen antics. No way he wins.

GO HORNS IN THE ROSE BOWL TONIGHT!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Even though it was released in the summer, I was actually surprised that it made my personal top 10 for 2005 films.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching this on DVD, which took me two days thanks to a defective DVD that I had to exchange at the video store.

During the first part of the movie, I seriously thought that Gordon Willis was doing the cinematography, the scenes were that underexposed.

Terrific performances from Crowe and especially Giamatti. Now I'm going to have a hell of time trying to decide who to root for in the Supporting Actor category.

I thought Renee was good too, just that I've seen the worrying wife part so many times now.

The boxing scenes were really good too. I wonder what WyattK thinks of them? (For those who don't know, he blasted M$B for its boxing scenes)

Going into the movie, I didn't know anything about Braddock at all. Glad to see an opposite of DeNiro's character in Raging Bull.

Thanks to the person upthread who mentioned Jeremy Schapp's book. I'll have to go the library soon and check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks