What's new

*** Official CAT IN THE HAT Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Cat in the Hat" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Cat in the Hat" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
With the massive ad campaign and television bombardment it was expected to open with a blast. Those of us who care, "Our sincere apologies to Dr. Seuss." Now go and read the book "lemmings"!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Massive ad campaigns can only help a film during its openning weekend. After that, word of mouth becomes the teller of the box office tale.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
This is true, but the film did extremely well on Tuesday and Wednesday adding about 7 milllion to the total. This is Thanksgiving Week and the kids are out of school. The opening weekend figures originally stated at 40.9 milion were revised downward somewhat to 38.6 on Monday (also the only day where attendance was down). By all standards, the film is, so far, a hit.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Latest info for Thursday (Thanksgiving) as Cat falls to 3rd Place:

1. ELF

2. HAUNTED MANSION, THE

3. CAT IN THE HAT

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I confused by all the negative comments on the movie. You take a childrens book, which was written for small kids, which basically has a very minimal plot, and turn it into a movie. Then, people complain because it is a simple movie, with a very minimal plot???

What were they going to do with it? Make Gone With The Wind? They took the premise (CITH comes to bored children, destroys house, and then teaches them a life lesson, and all is well), and added a ton of gags and jokes, a little back story, and filmed it. It is what it is. A funny movie with Mike Myers. Maybe too much Mike Myers, but then again, Grinch was a Jim Carrey movie.

I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting "Saving Private Ryan". I was expecting Mike Myers being silly, and a children's story. And that's what I got.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
This film is based on a beloved and wonderful CHILDREN'S book. I don't think one should expect it be laced with erection jokes, body part jokes, prostitute jokes and other vulgarities.

The people responsible for this tasteless drivel have let children and parents down.

Nobody expected anything but a film that would hopefully capture the whimsy and delight of the book. This movie seems to be running on amphetamines... hyper, totally over the top and awful.

There's a delightful animated cartoon that captures the spirit of the book. This film was made only to bring in the Benjamins to the producers. Ron Howard, actually backed out of directing it (even though his firm Imagine co-produced (financed) it. At least he was 50% right. My opinion, of course (along with most film reviewers and responsible parents.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks