What's new

*** Official "BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF"Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw this film the other day and thought it was great. I'll add more later.:)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm excited about this film, but I heard the creature effects are laughable and stupid, and that they should have spent way more money on the creature effects.

For the people that have seen it, is the creature that bad, and if so, does it take away from this film? The creature has to pay off, or it would seem to be a letdown and take away from the film. So what's the verdict?

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
The CGI gets a bit bad at times mostly when Mani is fighting the beast, they don't mesh well, the CG model of the beast is actually pretty good looking. I don't really mind though, it was good enough for me, the story and fight coreography is strong enough that some weak special effects really don't bother me.

The parts where the beast is a puppet look good.

I must warn you I really am a push over with special effects, if it looks good enough to portray the directors message it works for me. I don't get what the big deal is if the effects look fake, just fill in the deficiencies with your imagination.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The beast looks good, the CGI is OK, but it isn't a big budget film. If you can stomach the scorpion king in Mummy Returns, this should be a piece of cake. It's by Jim Henson Creature Shop...it didn't bother me in the least. Besides, Monica Bellucci makes up for anything:D
Take care,
Chuck

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the region 2 French DVD for months but haven't popped for a NTSC-PAL DVD(Malata)yet. I guess I'll just sell it and go to the theaters. The region 2 disc is supposed to have a killer DTS track too.

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from seeing it Schaumburg IL, great flick, my sister really liked it also. The sound effect were VERY loud, every kick, punch and beast move. The CGI isn't so bad that it hurts the story, but they are no ILM effects.

My Questions

Why did they want to kill the Duke(?) at the end, what did he do that had the entire town ready to burn him?

I also think they gave away what the beast really was a little too early, the first eye shot and new exactly what it was.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The Marquis was being taken out at the end because the Revolution had reached him. He didn't do anything other than be born an aristocrat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Brotherhood of the Wolf". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I think it was awesome how they never actually showed the beast, just implied what was under that armor plating. I have my theories, which I think were made obvious by several lines of dialogue. Though I may sound dumb for asking (since it may be more obvious than I thought), what do you think was under there?

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Did they actually say it was a lion? You could see the fur around its eye clearly, and it was grey, like a wolf. I just assumed it was some sort of mutant big-ass Africa wolf :)
I'm still confused about the guy's withered arm. What the hell happened to it to make it go like that? We know it used to be normal, as he had to make up the story about it being taken off by a lion when he got back from Africa. And why didn't he trim the fingernails on that side? :)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I would venture to guess that it was some type of canine creature, wolf/wild dog.
I did think that the CGI could have been better during the day lit scenes. Although I've seen worse.
I posted a review in the 'other' thread, but I'll restate that I was mesmerized by the cinematography on this film. Very rich in it's darkness, great color palette. Fantastic.
The sound......oohhhhh, the sound was the shit! I'm not sure if it was turned up on purpose for this film, but it was one of the most involved, immersive film audio experiences I've had in a while. The bass just kicked you in the back, surrounds were wildly active. One word - DVD!
Fronsac was very diverse he went from philosopher, diplomatice type ladies man lover to "I'm Mr. Whoop-Ass" in the blink of an eye. He reminded me of Brendon Fraser, but a whole lot cooler and smoother.
The film did seem to borrow heavily on elements from other films including;
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - this one was most evident to me.
  • Braveheart
  • Last Of The Mohicans
I could probably list a few more that I personally saw a relationship to.
Monica Bellucci! :) :D
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
:b Great role for her.
Anyway, I think I'm rambling now, I have to go see this one again. I hope it gives Amelie a run for the money at Oscars time with Best Foreign Film.
Troy

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have to admit...I left thinking it was a lion. I still think it was a lion. I own two cats, and La Bete's eyes looked feline close up. It also moved too fast for a canine.
Anyways, the more I remember, the more I like:D
Take care,
Chuck

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I figured there would be some debate on the issue! I too think it was a lion with the hints being: he fought lions in Africa, he brought it from Africa, he suggested his animal spirit be "half-lion". As for the arm, it was infected with gang greene and I guess it was healed so he didn't want to get it chopped off.. but if he just had it hanging out he might be called a witch or sorcerer by some mob. Weak maybe but that's what I figure.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I saw this movie on Friday. After Ebert's review and reading some of the positive ones on Rotten Tomatoes,I was fairly certain I knew the frame of mind I needed to be in to see this flick.
The movie has no real deep or layered meanings. It is meant to be am visceral, visual treat -- I wouldn't call it eye candy, because it does have plot. Simply a great story or fable given life as a film.
Yes, say it is like Last of the Mohicans crossed with Sleepy Hollow crossed with CTHD are fairly accurate, but still don't do the movie justice. The camera work is spectactular, the sound (pleasingly loud) is very good, the music matched perfectly, the sets and production design flawless. I loved the scene where they go hunting the Beast in the snowy night---just very atmospheric and evocative.
And the other posters are right. It is worth seeing for Monica Belluci alone
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
though the other female lead with long red hair twarn't nothin' to sneeze at either! :b
And while one choice for what the Beast "actually was," since the whole movie has a lot of fantastic elements, I think the viewer is left with some imaginary latitude towards what it is -- known and real, or unknown and fantastic.
I definitely plan on owning this once it is released here in the states.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
You guys didn't actually see the beast? From the english trailer, it looked like no wolf or lion. It looked like it had gigantic quills stick up out of it's back. Real strange looking. Surely not like anything I've ever seen.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Terrell:

You see THAT in the movie plenty of times but that is armor plating around a real animal, which you never see.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Saw this last night in a multiplex in an oddly half full Sunday night showing. I have to agree about the sound. The friend I went with immediately commented on the sound during the opening scene. Amazing. So few movies I see use the whole spectrum of sound like this flick did. The gent who played Mani...he looks familiar. Has he been in anything over here?

As to it's cinematic predecessors, how does one get CTHD as a strong comparison (beyond the swords, Chinese involvement (editor and choreographer), and, er, subtitles? Just curious as to the reasoning. It was more Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and that is a good thing) than CTHD.

Regarding the Beast, I think they pretty clearly implied that it was one of a brood of lion brought back by the one armed evil guy. Why wasn't this clear?

What more intrigues me is that this movie has a remote basis in fact (or so a friend tells me). Apparently, there was stories about mutilations and maulings that plagued the King of France during the 1700's. It even had the conclusion that the King comes up with in the movie. Very cool. Sort of an X-File-ish conspiracy atop thick Illuminati/Knights Templar level of conspiracy. Man, did this movie pack it in.

It was cool to see Philip "Mad Dog" Kwok (from "Hard Boiled" fame) doing the choregraphy. It was nice to see something other than Yuen Woo-Ping. Don't get me wrong, I like Woo-Ping, but his work is being so overused and overplayed, he is starting to repeat himself. Kwok's choreography was a bit rougher around the edges and really fit the gritty French landscape.

I am like the gent in the previous post...I thought the CGI/Monster effects were fine. They moved the story along, looked cool at times, and were a sight more creative than most CGI today (have to see the movie to see the concept they were going for).

So I assume the Brotherhood of the Wolf refers to the heroes, who "team up" with the native wolf population to destroy the evil critters and people? Otherwise, the Brotherhood that the villians work for never refer to themselves as "of the Wolf" or even Lion.

Maybe a prequel for the dynamic duo's exploits in the America's?

Phil

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Phil,
No, the 'Brotherhood' refers to
It is meant to be am visceral, visual treat -- I wouldn't call it eye candy, because it does have plot. Simply a great story or fable given life as a film.
Yes, say it is like Last of the Mohicans crossed with Sleepy Hollow crossed with CTHD are fairly accurate, but still don't do the movie justice. The camera work is spectactular, the sound (pleasingly loud) is very good, the music matched perfectly, the sets and production design flawless. I loved the scene where they go hunting the Beast in the snowy night---just very atmospheric and evocative.
Very well put.
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks