What's new

*** Official "BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF"Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

John O

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait to see this one. I believe that this is from the same director that did the live action version of Crying Freeman. If Brotherhood of the Wolf makes a few bucks maybe someone will release Crying Freeman on DVD as a tie in. ;)

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
This movie looks really good. I just hope it hits here within the next month because I'm moving to a smaller movie market and may miss seeing it.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
It opens in Seattle tomorrow. (Pacific Place, for those who live here) I can't wait to see it. I'll post my thoughts after seeing it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Man! I was hoping this has English subtitles. I was hoping it was shot in the English language, but since it was shot in France, I can see why it wasn't.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Ross-

Rock on--I'll be at Pacific Place tonight. Might catch a bite to eat at Gordon Biersch before/after. It's strange that's the only listing as of yesterday. I thought for sure it'd be playing on more screens. Maybe more listings were added today. Who knows.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it was only slated for NY/LA today, with a "wider" (but probably still limited) opening on the 25th. I think Universal may have changed that so that it's getting the limited opening today and, if all goes well, goes nationwide in two weeks.

It would certainly explain how it's playing here in Boston, with only one screen in Kendall Square (the boutique place) despite there being trailers, posters, and standees in virtually every theater I've been in over the past month, whether mainstream, boutique, megaplex or small.

the film opened here in San Diego at what is probably the biggest cineplex in town, the AMC Mission Valley 20 Theater. and, it commanded, not one, but two of the theaters. i saw the first showing of the day and it was jam packed 20 mins before showtime. hell, i had only scene my first trailer of it just a few days ago.

the movie was subtitled and in my opion was fantastic. i'm not very familiar with French filmaking and the only actor i recognized was Monica Bellucci (Under Suspicion). but, they all performed quite well, with Belluci and Mark Dacascos (Mani) as the standouts. Dacascos has an amazing screen presence, even when he isn't displaying his obvious martial art talents. when walking out of the theater i couldn't believe the film was as long as it was. the tempo was slow to build, but the pace picks up and it moved along quite nicely.

highly recommended!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Here's the link to Roger Ebert's review. I love that first paragraph. Man, I have got to see this movie!

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I saw it Friday, and enjoyed it; for once as of late, Ebert's and my opinions on this movie match up spot on. I briefly review it in the 2002 Film List thread.
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend." --Robert Jordan Dana Fillhart

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was pretty sure I'd like this after Jason Seaver's recommendation, because our taste in films generally runs in similar directions. But this film is astonishing! It takes place in a world that's entirely an artificial construct from an overheated movielover's imagination. And yet, even while you're ticking off the sources and influences, you find youself sucked right in, because somehow it works. The filmmakers don't just borrow things; they rediscover and reinvigorate them.
For example, there's a sequence near the beginning that anyone who's ever seen Jaws will recognize immediately. But even as you're thinking to yourself, "That's from Jaws!", you're knocked back in your seat by how violent and scary it is -- just like when you first saw Jaws. The film is full of similar moments, from monster movies, Hong Kong action flicks, high-toned costume drama, even the serial killer genre (there's a lair that could have been John Doe's in Se7en). And just when you think they can't resolve it satisfactorily, they do. Remarkable stuff, and a lot of fun to watch (and listen to -- the soundtrack is both bombastic and atmospheric, which ain't easy).
Highly recommended.
M.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Wow, I'm glad to see all the positive feedback about this movie. I've been interested in this since I saw the trailer a few months back. Sounds like my kind of movie.

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
This film is INCREDIBLE. Words can't do it justice. I COMPLETELY forgot that I was watching a subtitled film. The movie works on a werewolf level, and it works on a kung-fu/wire-fu movie. This is the best movie I have seen in a long long time. This is a MUST see.

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night. I have to agree that this is the most fun I've had at an action film in a long time. This is also one weird film. This film combines more geners than I thought possible and still work. It is also one of the best photographed and best looking films I've seen in a while.

It should be interesting to see how this does being a subtitled film. It is playing at one screen in Dallas, at a screen in a mulitplex not an art-house. The show was sold out and the manager said every showing night was sold out. Maybe people are getting over subtitles.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Early estimates have Brotherhood averaging $25,524 per theater for 1/11-13. That bodes well for a wider release.

M.

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I drove through an hour of traffic to see this at Universal Citywalk's Loews theater, and I can honestly say I was blown away on all levels. It opens a bit wider this coming Friday in Orange County, and I am definitely seeing it again! :)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Is Brotherhood of the Wolf getting a wider release soon or will it be a "let's see how it does in these select (read: few) cities then we'll decide" kinda thing?

Really wanna see this but nowhere near me for this upcoming weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks