*** Official BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael Reuben, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The L.A. Film Critics Association named Brokeback Mountain best picture and Ang Lee best director, all of which should help with the marketing.

M.

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

...for Oscar considerations.

3. Michael Reuben

According to Variety, the Boston Society of Film Critics has also selected Brokeback Mountain as best picture and Ang Lee as best director.

M.

4. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    American Film Instittute named it an official selection of 2005. It received 8 nominations.

The numbers this morning say it made $545,000. in 5 theatres and they are saying that is very good.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Alright! Only 80 more weeks till it ties with 'Must Love Dogs'.

6. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Got the NY Film Critics award, Best Picture, with Heath as Best Actor.

A movie about human beings who fall in love and feel some pain and regret? Must admit (not having seen it), this one is sure welcome this year (to me) amid the Batmans, Kongs, Star Warses, Harry Potters and Fantastic Fours.

[​IMG]

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Its nice to get a quiet movie once in a while isn't it?

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Half a million from 5 theaters is AMAZING!!!

9. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

limited release numbers are pretty deceptive.

Those 5 theaters are probably strictly arthouse theaters that have full showings every week..Wide release won't even be close to that per theater avg.

10. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

Even for limited release, a 100K PSA is incredible.

11. Michael Reuben

The three of them that are in NYC are all part of major chains: two Loews and one Clearview. And while no one's seriously suggesting these kinds of per-theater averages will apply in wider release, the fact remains that they're significantly higher than the usual limited opening.

I discovered just how much interest this film has generated by watching the Loews Lincoln Square sell out an 11:15 a.m. show on Saturday morning. First time I've seen something like that in many years of catching limited releases on a weekend morning. (And no, I didn't have tickets when it sold out. [​IMG] )

M.

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I saw the film at the Clearview Chelsea Cinemas theater on a Sunday 12:45 showing, and it was pretty much a packed house, with a long line of people waiting outside the auditorium. Pretty impressive for a limited release.

13. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this film, which will open here in January.

The above comments in this thread were made in jest, but still it seems print reviews and other publicity for this film are rather apologetic as if they expected readers to be offended beforehand. I hope this won't matter and people will still go to see this movie.

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

All showings sold out in S.F over the weekend too. There was an article in the paper this morning with the theatre owner saying he cant remember the last time this happened and ta boot they added two midnight showings that sold out as well.[​IMG]

15. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I just found out that I'm going to a sneak preview of it tonight. I'm going to be in line at least 2 hours before showtime.

Rafael.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I think you will be happy you waited in line.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It's supposed to go wider in January, Buzz. I wouldn't get too frustrated just yet. They were talking at least 300 screens, but with all the awards recognition and potential box office, the studio said they may go even wider.

18. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Yeah. The Chelsea Clearview in NYC sold out by 12:00 noon for showings at 10 pm.

A group of us got to see it at the Village Loews.

While I agree that limited releases aren't really accurate for a larger scale, they ARE very good numbers regardless. Obviously the average will drop significantly when it goes wider... but the fact that it's opening slowly will likely help the film, imho.

19. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I guess Robert there are always those nay-sayers who are trying to discount how important the movie is and how much it made.

20. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    How important it is? That's what gets me about politically correct/zeitgeist movies like this. I mean, it's an ok movie, elvated by Ledger's perf; but, why is it important and, say, "Making Love" from 1982 wasn't important? (similar plot points to Brokeback) Or "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" wasn't important? (a movie, IMO, better than Brokeback)

Nope...it's not about quality, it's about timing. Anyone remember "Far From Heaven"? It was "important" too...or so everyone said. It was a critics darling - NY and Chicago Critics Best Pic and more. And, it's barely a footnote only 3 years later.