What's new

*** Official "BLADE 2" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
Well, I for one really enjoyed the film. I still have not decided if I liked it more then the original or not. I too was distraced by the WWF style moves and CGI stunt doubles. Action and suspense was definitly turned up a notch from the first movie. If you want to see a non-stop fight fest, bad dialoge, lots of gore, with a few moments that have you turning away with horrow, fear, and disgust, this is your movie! I'll be picking this one up on DVD.

Gruson

Second Unit
Awesome movie. I liked it almost as much as the first one.

My only complaint was the horrible looking CGI at the beginnning.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Errrr.... Blade 1 was an action flick. Blade 2 was a horror action flick. Personally, the Event Horizon gore could have been left out if you ask me.

ChrisOlson

Auditioning
"Good times." That was my thought on exiting the theater. Just non-stop vampire kicking ass. Good times.

...worth every penny.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ahhhh...the long awaited Mayer review:D As this was one of my MUST-SEE 2002 releases, what did I think?
I gave it a 7/10 as a film, but that might be harsh. Truth be told, I enjoyed it a lot, and I will happily buy the DVD. It was a 9/10 on my expectations, exceeding in many areas, falling short in a few. del Toro was a fantastic choice, and his direction accounted for many of the film's small pleasures.
A film like Blade II requires a different set of standards than most films. Let's take a look:
Acting: Wesley Snipes understands what makes his character popular and believable. And he's very good at showing some vulnerability in the right scenes, and supreme confidence in others. Leonor Varela is sufficiently attractive to be in this film, and she was given the right number of lines. Reedus and Kristofferson played their underwritten parts well, if not extraordinarily. Special mention to Luke Goss who actually managed to emote as the main villain. I wasn't sure he really was the main villain until the end...which was due to his work.
Directing/Mood: Extremely good. Very solid sets and set-up. Guillermo and Company did a great job with this one. The feel is right.
VFX: Good to outstanding. Yes, some of the CGI fight scenes sucked, but I admired the effort to "ramp it up" a bit. When they weren't bad, they were quite good. The Reapers were wonderful, big props to the designers, make-up boys, etc.
Fight scenes: As expected, very entertaining. See you in III. Wesley had the body language right on for Blade, and he can move. I must agree that the WWF wasn't my favorite, but I wasn't bothered by it. At least it was new. Not enough Yen...why waste him?
Gadgets: Nothing unbelieveable, but good.
Story: One of the weaker areas. Could have been better in supporting the action scenes, could have used more of the mythology established in the first film. Still serviceable, but not special.
Music: Score was fine, but I enjoyed the techno mood of the first film more than the second. Quite a bit.
Overall: As expected. I got what I paid for, even with my decent expectations, and I'd happily see Blade III. One thing I truly liked was the poetic ending. Somewhat moving (as limited by Nyssa's lack of real character), but BEAUTIFULLY SHOT. I didn't expect a magic moment from Blade II, but I got it. And I appreciated it.
With a little character development (but not too much), and a more involving story, Blade III could be a real player. Wesley and Guillermo know what they are doing, the mood is right, and the premise is simple:
Blade kills vampires and is the most dominating presence on the screen.
Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks