What's new

"Official" BenQ PE7700 DLP Projector Thread (1 Viewer)

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what makes it official but we need to get more dicussion going on this awesome new affordable 720p DLP projector! It is the first High Def 720p DLP projector to drop below the $3000 pricepoint. It can be gotten for $2600 online. It boasts a 2500:1 contrast ratio, HDMI input and the 3 year BenQ warranty with a great customer service record. It also has VGA/BNC inputs for those who use HTPCs.

It does have a relatively short throw distance, but good for people with low ceilings. It does have great light output and a quiet fan. You can project this on a very big screen and still have enough light, 110", 120", 130", 140". It came out in March this year and there have been rave reviews. I plan on getting one of these as I am remodeling my HT to make it bigger so I can fit the 4 new reclining Lane Home Theater seats in the front row.

Here are the specs for the 7700 at BenQ:

[http://www.benq.us/Products/Projecto...fm?product=551

Here is a review:

[http://www.projectorreviews.com/review.asp?reid=33

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
No one is interested in this projector??

At the AVS forum they are crazy over this projector. It is the first affordable DLP that does 720p.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well yeah, looks good but I just got my 480p machine and don't plan to upgrade till the 1st affordable high def players are out along with a decent library of flicks...

--
H

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Tim. I'm glad you posted this. I am in the process of building my HT and I have pretty much made up my mind on the 7700. I was going to go with the 8700. When I heard they were coming out with the 7700 for $3000.00 list price It blew my mind. It's great that middle class people can enjoy true Home Theater on a huge screen because the prices on items like the 7700 have gone so far down. I remember when you couldn't touch a projector that projects an image of that quality for less than $10,000. When the 7700 was announced, I posted a thread on here. It got some good responces so I'm sure there are others that are excited about this product. Please let me know what your opinions are about this product. I'm so excited. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to wait for my next tax return to get the projector. I had some unexpected repairs on my house over the spring. I was able to upgrade to an outlaw audio 990 pre pro and the 7100 amp. I also upgraded my speakers to the M&K 150 THX speaker system. When I get the projector the whole package will finally come together. I'm going to be using a Carada 96' 16:9 screen. The projector is going to be mounted an a small table because I have very very low ceilings in my basement HT. From what I read, the 7700 is the best suited projector for my room.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I am very excited about getting this projector- probably in a few months as my HT gets closer to completion. At least I know where it will be mounted for a 100" screen that I am planning. And with the manual online you know all the specs and what cable to run. An eBay seller has some reasonably priced HDMI cables right now ($19.99 pluse $12.95 shipping for 25' cable).

We were first thinking about an 87" up to 96" screen but when we borrowed a friends business projector and put a movie in, we decided bigger is better!! Our front row prime viewing area will be 12' back which is within the recommended distance. We may even go to a 106" screen if I can fit in on the 11' wide wall with room for my front speakers.

The 7700 sounds awesome. Great brightness and color and when I hook up my DirecTv HD Samsung 160 receiver to the 720p input it should be awesome via the HDMI digital connection. One day I can pump the new HD DVD through it.
Sunday Night Football in HD as well as other networks will look great I am sure. I can't wait. I am going to design my HT with an eqyptian theme with a statue of King Tut, etc.

Hope you can work out the finances to get yours before long. I'm thinking do to the "WAF" I will have to sell my Toshiba 56" widescreen HDTV to help pay for it.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I saw your pics. The 100+ inch screen will look great. If I had the space, I would go bigger. My front row will be about 12 ft away as well. My ceilings are so low it makes it difficult. It still should be a great little HT when it is all done. I have fabric on the walls too. It think it definately helps with the sound.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
John,

You should rethink putting the projector on a table. The BenQ 7700 can be mounted 2" from the ceiling with a flush mount and that puts the center of the lens and the top of your screen around 5" down from the ceiling. The fan on this projector is super quiet and it can be mounted above your viewing area no problem. I have only 7' 3" ceilings and it will work fine. How high are your ceilings?

I've heard and read that you should use as big of a screen that you can for your room and for the proper viewing distance. A bigger screen with a projector lights up your whole veiwing angle and is easy on the eyes. With a smaller screen or TV you need ambient light to avoid eye strain. Even with my 56" widescreen TV I prefer some ambient light to make it easier on the eyes. With a big projected screen you want the room dark cause the screen gives you plenty of light and gives you better black levels without ambient light. Remember whatever ambient light is present on your screen when the projector is off, will give you an idea of the darkest your blacks will be when the projector is on. Therefore, you also want dark walls and ceiling near the screen so it won't fade out your screen. Either that or use a high contrast screen like a gray screen.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Tim. Unfortunately my ceilings are only 6 1/2 ft high so the 5 inches is alot. The rest shouldn't be a problem. I have pretty dark wall fabric and the wall that the screen is on is black.

Thanks,

John

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have a Benq 8700 - however, with the BNC/VGA or DVI inputs, it will only work properly with 60.00 hz signals. As you know, NTSC is 59.94 hz - when you hook up an upscaling DVD (or external scaler) through VGA or DVI, there is a bit of a stutter. Does the Benq 7700 fix this issue?

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
Some of you BenQ 7700 owners please post what you think of it. How does the picture look with DVD, HDTV, cable/satellite? What size screen are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks