What's new

Batman Begins (2005) (1 Viewer)

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

Hey hey hey, the TV show is brilliant.

I thought this movie was great and certainly not humorless. I'm not a great fan of the Tim Burton ones and I hated the Schumachers. I had the same small criticisms as most people: the sometimes incomprehensible action scenes and a few silly areas in the script.

My favorite Batman movie is still the 1966 one, because how can you ever beat that ending? Or all those great lines.

Still, Nolan and the entire cast did a fantastic job.

James T

Screenwriter
I attended the midnight showing and I saw it again today. Since I've never done anything this crazy before, this is easily the best movie of the year.

A few minor thing I didn't quite like

-How they pronounced Ra's Al Ghoul. The cartoon made it a point that it's pronouced "Raysh" and NOT "Roz" like it's read because of the arabic origin meaning "The Demon's Head". But upon further research, the creator of the Ra's character said he intended it to be pronounced as "Roz". Maybe he was unaware of the proper way to pronounce it?

-I also didn't like the quick action shots. If only Nolan zoomed out a bit, I could have a better idea who Batman was fighting at any given time. I had this problem in the Bourne Supremacy as well, but that was only in some scenes.

Did anyone catch the little cameo of one of Batman's foes that never got billed as a villian in Begins? And no, it's not Zsaz. :) You can see him in Arkham for about a frame when Batman is running away.

I think Goyer should stop throwing in comedy in his action films and just stick with what he's good at. It didn't quite work in Blade: Trinity and it didn't quite work in Batman Begins.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Is the score available in ANY retail chain? Wal-Mart and Best Buy don't have it.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
For only the second time, watching a film or reading a comic book, I felt for a man named Bruce Wayne.

This is a damn good film (full of crappy, out of tone, one liners, and a sorry, forgettable score...but, I'll let it go), with a lot of strong performances, and an incredibly strong character arc x3 - Bruce, Alfred, and Gordon. I'm looking forward to a series of films that see them grow.

I did like the line about calling for backup. :D

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
I find superhero movies to be endlessly frustrating unless I conciously stop ovethinking.

I think because I NEVER read comic books as a kid, I never developed a tolerance for the lack of continuity and frequent contradictions in comic book stories.

I have to conciously disassosiate the movies from thier comic books origins, and watch them as their own stories.

I'm to used to novels. I always want to ask "does it follow the book?" With comic book movies I want to ask the same question, until I remember that the answer will basically be "which version of the book?"

With that in mind, I simply can't resist, does this move follow the comic books? As an origin story, does it match that of the comics?

James T

Screenwriter

I was going to post your answer before you even posted your question, but it slipped my mind :)

This is as faithful a Batman character you are going to get in the live action version. There are changes here and there, but nothing as drastic as Burton's Batman which uses guns, and kills people(sometimes having fun doing so).

James T

Screenwriter

I read from another forum that Barnes and Noble carried it. But when other members checked, their local B&N didn't carry it.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
A neat tidbit I enjoyed:

Prior to viewing the film, I had heard that the Joker left his calling card at the end of the film. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a normal Joker card was used, and not a "cartoon version" of a Joker card. It really ground the film more into reality for me. Yay! :D

8^B

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Easily the best Batman movie, and easily the second best film of the year so far (ROTS is still #1 for me).

I thought Bale did a great job in bringing both sides of the persona to life--both Bruce and Batman, something I thought neither Keaton, Kilmer, nor Clooney could do. For example, Keaton was a good Batman, in my opinion, but not so much a good Bruce Wayne. Bale just nailed it all.

I'm amazed at how good it really was. I was completely spoiler-free, so I didn't have any sort of expectations. Excellent film all the way around, with only a few minor nit-picks that have already been mentioned here (too zoomed-in on some of the action, some of the humor, especially that involving Gordon, etc.) Actually, the last bit with Gordon in the Batmobile reminded me a lot of Anakin in Episode I during the space battle, though not quite as juvenile I suppose. Gary Oldman was just perfectly cast, as was the entire movie for that matter.

Also, I missed the villian cameo James spoke about earlier in this thread...anyone care to reveal that to me? I think I know which frame, but I'm not sure who the character is.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Saw the score at the Virgin Megastore today.

Just got back from the movie and I really liked it a lot...but I have to say, I'm definitely more of a fan of the Tim Burton films. This was...different. Not in a bad way but I guess I just have a fondness for what those movies were and the spirit with which they were made.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Hats off to Goyer for showing the obscure Zsaz, he was definitely one of the scariest villains in the comics.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Fantastic movie. THIS is Batman, and THIS is the Batman movie they should have made 16 years ago. Then again, if putting up with what we had for four seriously flawed movies (Tim Burton didn't do Batman, and Schumacher didn't do a thing) allows more like this to be made, I'm all for it.

It was damn near perfect. The characters were done fantastically, including some nice little asides that really fleshed them out. I loved Lucius' line about how he didn't expect Bruce to track what he said, he just wanted him to know how much work it was. The Batmobile, while an unusual design, worked perfectly for this movie. Katie Holmes' character was actually well done I thought, having the right degree of depth and yet distance that the story needed.

My only serious gripe about the movie was Batman killing(?) Ra's (fantastic reveal by the way, I never saw it coming at all, I just assumed Ken Wantananbe survived somehow) by failure to act. The comic books make it abundantly clear that Batman will never allow someone to die by his actions, directly or indirectly. Even if a thug charges him, Batman dodges, and the crok goes off the roof of a building, Batman will rescue them. In this case, his having Gordon take down the railroad as well as his fight with Ra's makes him on some level responsible for the situation that led to Ra's demise, even if not the exact event.

Besides that, why do they always feel the need to kill the villain? Ra's has some great stories they could go with; they never even touched on Talia or the Lazarus Pits, it seems a shame to remove him from the story this early on. Sure you don't want the movies to get repetitive, and their limited time (2-3 hours every 2-3 years) means you can't afford to have the long continuous story lines of a comic book or even the animated series, but still seems dumb to slam the door on things.

Other then that one nitpick though, absolutely incredible movie. Truly fantastic. I can't wait to see it again.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Well I buckled and went to the late show tonight.:D There will be hell to pay at work today.:frowning:

Awesome flick. I loved the way the action scenes were done. His ninja quick strikes worked great. Perhaps the only time Nolan could have pulled out a bit was when Bats was fighting the other ninjas.

Amazing how this film could make me feel for the young Bruce in the scant screen time he had when other films could not do so for another young character over a much longer time period.:D

I am still shaking my head at the cast. Wow. Wow. Wow. Freeman had the best lines.

First great movie of the summer, here is hoping WOTW and FF4 can keep the fun times rolling.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This should go without saying, but while we saw the train crash, we never saw him get disemboweled. That door is always still open;).

Was I the only one who teared up a bit when Alfred took Bruce down the elevator when the mansion was burning and Bruce reiterated "You still haven't given up on me, Alfred?" and Alfred reiterated, "Never." Considering how much Bruce has had ripped away from him over his life, having a relationship that loving and that pure damn near made me weep.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Let me go ahead and echo the praise on BB. For me, this moved right to the top of my most enjoyed movies of the year and is easily my favorite Batman movie. Here's hoping whoever they bring in (hopefully Nolan and Goyer) for the next one will keep the same tone as this one.

Regarding the humor...it worked for me. The overall tone of the movie was quite dark and somber - as it should be - and those one-liners worked to lighten the mood without disrupting the flow of the film.

James T

Screenwriter

It was cut out.
Not the Talia scenes or the Lazarus, but the expansion of the Ra's Al Ghul story. This might be spoilers for any potential sequels, so be warned....there was no Lazarus pit. In its place, Ra's Al Ghul's "presence"(or soul, if you prefer) is transfered after he dies. Ra's is a mortal man, so whenever he dies, whether of old age or murder, his soul gets trasfered to another host. I guess this goes on forever and another way to stay immortal.

And regarding the villian cameo....I doubt anyone will get it. The only people who will notice it are the same people that noticed Colossus in X-men 1. It's that quick a scene, but not that obscure. I actually missed it the first time, had a friend tell me about it and ALMOST missed it the second time. When Batman is escaping Arkham, the first inmate looking through the peephole has a long nose and a monocle.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Just thought I'd add a bit to my questions about Bats letting Ra's die. It seems very similar to Azrael-Batman in Knightfall letting Alastor fall into the chemicals and die, something that horrified Robin, Bruce Wayne, and everyone else. It wasn't murder, but it was definitely death via inaction, just like Ra's in this one. Assuming, of course, that Ra's is dead. I realize we didn't see him truly die, and the wreck itself was survivable, but that explosion is kinda bad for one's longevity. :)

And is Ra's a title, or was it a ruse and Liam Neeson was Ra's all along? I took it as a subterfuge maneuver, and Ken was just there as a visible head while Liam was the real power and force. Ken was just there to do what he did, die and make it look like Ra's was gone, while the real one escaped.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and in regards to the crowd, my theater was packed - in fact the usher made me and my companion move over to free up an empty seat between us and the next couple - and very enthusiastic. The crowd was in stitches during the one liners, particularly Alfred's reaction to Bruce wanting to take on an alternate identity to protect those close to him, namely himself. The crowd was silent during the right moments, and when Batman dominated the energy in the audotorium was electric. At the end the vast majority of the theater applaused for over two minutes, a rare feat in our multiplex society.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks