What's new

*** Official AUGUST RUSH Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Look, if you've seen the previews for "August Rush", then you probably won't be too surprised by the ending, but a film like this is more about the journey than the destination. It features the story of "August Rush", a child musical prodigy, who just wants to find his parents after being left at a boy's home at birth. I didn't much enjoy the film's first half as it lays down the events that lead to the improbable convergence of father, mother and child via music, but when the film is about the music, it hits on all cylinders, and soars to a nice finish. If you've ever doubted the power of music in films, I would be hard-pressed to believe that viewers don't fight back tears as the ending unfolds. If you're still dried-eyed at the end, you're emotionally deaf, or I'm becoming a big ol' softie in my advancing years. Is it manipulative, of course, but it earns most of the sentiment, and the use of music as a homing beacom for a separated family is both sublime and earned.

Freddie Highmore (August/Evan) heads a good cast, along with Keri Russell (mom), Jonathan Rhys Meyers (dad), Robin Williams (manager), Terrance Howard (social worker). Highmore has this way of accessing the emotional markers in any of his scenes, even though August is a bit naive to the ways of the world, but doesn't let it get in the ways of his dreams.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I realized going in that this wasn't my type of movie, but I love Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I was dry-eyed throughout -- you are a "big ol' softie", Patrick. ;) There were some nice scenes (like the guitar duet) but man, was Robin Williams annoying.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "August Rush". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks