What's new

Official Atmos Home Theater Thread UPDATED With First Impressions (1 Viewer)

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Adam Gregorich said:
Inside Inside Out from Dolby Laboratories on Vimeo.
Now if Disney only started putting Atmos on their BD releases along with 3D.....

I strongly believe (and a few insiders do too) that Disney and many of the other studios are holding off on adding DTS: X and Dolby Atmos immersive soundtracks until Ultra HD Blu-ray debuts.

3D audio will be used as an enticement to upgrade just like High Dynamic Range, Wide Color Gamut, and High Frame Rate content.

There is no official 3D UHD video support (and there may not be) and many masters will be 2k upconverts, for various reasons, for these new discs, so all these other improvements are being dangled as carrots.

Even Sony has been starting to amass home theater immersive mixes and re-mixes (though no word on whether they're Atmos or X encoded) for later consumer use as mentioned in one of the latest Home Theater Geek webcasts.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Brian Stoker's Dracula: Supreme Cinema Series

Release Date: October 6, 2015

dracula-01.jpg

Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

English: Dolby Atmos

English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bram-Stokers-Dracula-Blu-ray/92211/

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
It appears Yamaha will soon be releasing AVRs with both DTS X & ATMOS!

Looking forward to see what's up with those

I hope the speaker positions are similar otherwise the HT will look ridiculous!

For example if DTS X follows the current 11.2 placement with the 4 "effect" speakers higher up on front & back walls

VS

ATMOS having the 4 "effect" speakers having placements closer to the central room positioningaimed downwards

(or upward firing speakers aimed at positions that reflect off the central ceiling positions)

If different, that would require an extra 4 "in & downward" aimed speakers.

And a method of toggling each of the 4 speaker sets off or on, depending on the input source's encoding.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Dougofthenorth said:
It appears Yamaha will soon be releasing AVRs with both DTS X & ATMOS!

Looking forward to see what's up with those

I hope the speaker positions are similar otherwise the HT will look ridiculous!

For example if DTS X follows the current 11.2 placement with the 4 "effect" speakers higher up on front & back walls

VS

ATMOS having the 4 "effect" speakers having placements closer to the central room positioningaimed downwards

(or upward firing speakers aimed at positions that reflect off the central ceiling positions)

If different, that would require an extra 4 "in & downward" aimed speakers.

And a method of toggling each of the 4 speaker sets off or on, depending on the input source's encoding.

As of right now, first generation "normally priced" consumer DTS:X products will conform to Dolby Atmos positions. Perhaps you'll have one other choice for height speakers rather than overheads depending on how many processor resources a particular manufacturer is willing to give towards object re-mapping features.

Some products with both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X will only give you the option of Atmos layouts.

It depends. Either way, you won't have to have one layout for one format and one layout for another.

DTS keeps saying their consumer version of DTS:X is agnostic with no prescribed layout. You do still need some sort of elevation layer of speakers to get the proper 3D effect. Otherwise, you might as well stick to the old fashioned 5.1 or 7.1 layout.

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
I have a small room upstairs that I intend to turn into my next HT room. It measures 13'x14'x9'.

I'd like to go with a Dolby Atmos setup utilizing 4 in-ceiling speakers as part of the setup. With a room this small, could it be Dolby Atmos worthy? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
TroyH4 said:
I have a small room upstairs that I intend to turn into my next HT room. It measures 13'x14'x9'.

I'd like to go with a Dolby Atmos setup utilizing 4 in-ceiling speakers as part of the setup. With a room this small, could it be Dolby Atmos worthy? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

With a room that small, I would go with Front Heights and Top Middle. If you get one of the higher end Denon or Marantz receivers or pre-amps you could do 7.1.4 but with 5.1 and Front Wides with four overheads. You may not have enough space behind you for main level back speakers.

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
DanH1972 said:
With a room that small, I would go with Front Heights and Top Middle. If you get one of the higher end Denon or Marantz receivers or pre-amps you could do 7.1.4 but with 5.1 and Front Wides with four overheads. You may not have enough space behind you for main level back speakers.
Dan, that is a concern too. since the room is so small, my sofa will be actually up against the back wall not allowing a decent space between me and the main back speakers. I'm wondering if even 7.1 is even feasible?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
TroyH4 said:
Dan, that is a concern too. since the room is so small, my sofa will be actually up against the back wall not allowing a decent space between me and the main back speakers. I'm wondering if even 7.1 is even feasible?

It would be feasible in a configuration i just described. A 5.1 layout with the addition of Front Wides and Front Height and Top Middle overheads. You need a Denon or Marantz 7.1.4 capable product, however. It doesn't look like Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo allow for this special configuration. Some have mentioned they actually get more activity from the FW position than the overheads depending on the Atmos mix.

Even so, you should get your couch at least a foot or so away from the back wall for improved surround quality.

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
DanH1972 said:
It would be feasible in a configuration i just described. A 5.1 layout with the addition of Front Wides and Front Height and Top Middle overheads. You need a Denon or Marantz 7.1.4 capable product, however. It doesn't look like Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo allow for this special configuration. Some have mentioned they actually get more activity from the FW position than the overheads depending on the Atmos mix.

Even so, you should get your couch at least a foot or so away from the back wall for improved surround quality.
Dan, I'm not up on the layout of this type setup , can you do some kind of layout diagram of the speakers 7.1.4 that you described above ? What would be a receiver that would best come closest to this speaker config?

Thanks,

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
TroyH4 said:
Dan, I'm not up on the layout of this type setup , can you do some kind of layout diagram of the speakers 7.1.4 that you described above ? What would be a receiver that would best come closest to this speaker config?
Thanks,
Audyssey DSX is the "front wide".

Since 5(+ wide).1.4 is 11 channels...

All of the 11 channel options.

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
How small of a room is "too small" for a sound format like Dolby Atmos?

I have a room upstairs that measures 13'x14'x9'. I'd like to incorporate Atmos in there when I begin setting up the room and ordering my equipment as some point.

But I'm concerned with the smallness of the room. Would 7.1.4 be ok or 5.1.4 be ok?

And what about front projection vs. flatscreen TV?

Please give me your thoughts?

Thanks,

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
I'll be starting from scratch with my room , but it measures 13'x14'x9'.

I am looking at the SVS Satellites to do all the work in my 7.1 ch setup.I'd also like to incorporate Atmos and add the .4 to it as well. My sub of choice at the moment is the SVS PC-2000. With a room my size, not very big, how do you guys think it would sound with this setup? Obviously it's not going to take much sound to fill it so I don't need huge driver speakers. Is there much advantage to going with the Prime Bookshelves vs. The Sats ? Also, pls provide recommendations for my 'in-ceiling' speakers for Atmos?

Budget minded for sure!

Any feedback appreciated,

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
TroyH4 said:
I'll be starting from scratch with my room , but it measures 13'x14'x9'.
I am looking at the SVS Satellites to do all the work in my 7.1 ch setup.I'd also like to incorporate Atmos and add the .4 to it as well. My sub of choice at the moment is the SVS PC-2000. With a room my size, not very big, how do you guys think it would sound with this setup? Obviously it's not going to take much sound to fill it so I don't need huge driver speakers. Is there much advantage to going with the Prime Bookshelves vs. The Sats ? Also, pls provide recommendations for my 'in-ceiling' speakers for Atmos?
Budget minded for sure!

Any feedback appreciated,
There are multiple Atmos/X placements.

On the wall above your main pair and rear(Google "Yamaha front and rear Presence") as that arrangement was used at one of the Atmos original demonstrations.

That would be "my preferred choice" since SVS doesn't have in-wall/ceiling speakers.

The two theatres I will be doing Atmos(11 channel in one, 7 in the other) will be using this format, because...

My main theatre is BIC V series from the 90s. There is no in-ceiling...and I already use height V62 for IIz anyway. Already bought another pair of V62 for 10/11.

The other room uses DCM TF from the 80s. Found two more DCM Surroundscapes(already use one as the center) to use at the Atmos spots.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Speakers are one of the most important parts of your system so I would not go to budget on them. Speakers are very important as you can make a high dollar receiver sound bad but you can also put a great pair of speakers on a cheap receiver and make it sound good. I would recommend that you go with the same brand all the way around and even with the atmos channels over head. The key is to have similar speakers as to have similar timber all around the room as to have the same sound characteristics from speaker to speaker. I also feel that where your listening positions are can effect how effective your atmos speakers are. Depending on your listening habits on how loud you like to listen to your movies and if you listen to multi channel music you might want to go with the bookself models. I would recommend the bookshelf speakers but if you really do not turn it up much or if you will not listen to multi channel music you could easily use the satellite models. I would just check the power handling specs to make sure they can handle your receiver power. As far as atmos speakers goes I would check to see if SVS makes any inwall speakers that you can install flush into your ceiling so you do not have speakers handing down. If SVS doesn't make any I would look for a brand that is identical to the SVS models you are purchasing. The other option if your willing to cut square holes in the ceiling is to put brackets and mount bookshelf speakers inside the ceiling where the grills are flush with the ceiling. You could then find speaker grill fabric that matches the color of your ceiling and change out the fabric on the grills if you do not want the difference in color in your ceiling. I remember changing the grill covers on my Altec Voice Of The Theater cabinets and then changed out the grill cover material on the center so it would match the L & R and it worked out nicely.

View attachment 20620

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks