What's new

*** Official "ANTWONE FISHER" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Antwone Fisher" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Antwone Fisher" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
No discussion yet?
I just saw it, I loved it. It doesn't break any new ground, it's not a cinematic masterpiece... but it's a wonderfully touching tear-jerker. I haven't choked up at the movies this much in a long time. Excellent performances from the entire cast. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Arman

Screenwriter
I'm wondering about that too (re: silence of the Home Theater forum community on Antwone Fisher). I really wanted to start a thread about it but I'm thinking I may already missed discussions about it. I came to watch it with very low expectations since this film is not in even 1/10 Top Ten Best of 2002 lists of major film critics/organizations or among the intelligent forum members here. A lot of the critics even dismissed this film as at best a B rated film.

Anyway, IMHO, Antwone Fisher is a "damn good film" not just because it made me so emotionally involved. In my many moviegoing experiences I never seen (or heard) that many people crying while watching a movie. I find it very silly to applaud for a film in a movie theater but earlier this afternoon I'm one of those who gave this film a rousing ovation. Great job by Denzel! Ebert was so right about the performance of the actress who plays Antwone's mother. She appeared only in one scene but which is to my mind and opinion one of the most poignant & dramatic movie moments I've ever seen.

I expect Derek Luke to give the veterans Nicholson, Day Lewis & Cage a stiff & exciting competition in the Oscar's Best Actor derby. Denzel Washington is nothing but short of brilliant too in a very understated but powerful suppporting role. I heard Luke is a longshot in making the Oscars Best Actor nominations but if just in case he makes the cut together with the guy in The Pianist, oh well I won't be stunned or shocked if Luke pulls one of the biggest upsets in Oscar's history. No one is even giving Denzel the recognition he deserves (I meant for his fantastic supporting performance) for this film. I think everyone is ignoring him(unlike Meryl Streep who is getting much deserves raves for her fantastic supporting performance in Adaptation) just because he just won the Oscars last year or they don't know how to categorize his role in here.

(FYI - Nicholas Cage in Adaptation is my Best Actor AND Denzel Washington for this film tied with Andy Serkin/Gollum in LOTR:TTT as my Best Supporting Actors of the year. Antwone Fisher has indeed just changed the configuration of my Top Ten list.)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Antwone Fisher was in limited release until this weekend. That's a big part of the reason why there hasn't been much discussion.

I really wanted to start a thread about it
As you've now discovered, it's always a good idea to look for the official discussion and review threads.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw it, and while I'd recommend it, it doesn't really break new ground. It's a good directorial debut for Denzel Washington.

As a tale of overcoming your past, it does a good job in showing how people can help each other to become more than who they are if they had to do it alone.

I found Antwone's character a little too much on a "too good to be true" (if you discount his anger and penchant to get into fights). But it does demonstrate that a little mentoring and concern (guidance or rudder control) can right a ship on a collision for self destruction.

Derek Luke does a very good job as Antwone, making us believe that he was Antwone (and I don't think it was because he has no previous acting baggage from other roles), and displaying a full gamut of emotions that mark his life and times.

Denzel in a supporting performance does a good job as the mentor to Antwone. He displays subtle nuance to his performance as a man with all the right answers for Antwone, but has a troubled home life with his wife. It just goes to show you that everyone has problems, no one lives an idyllic life, even if it appears so on the surface. In contrast with Antwone's somewhat reticent exterior in terms of his own buried pain from his past that hides a man with a truly good heart with a lot to offer, it just took time and patience to bring it to the surface.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I just saw this film. I am sorry that I messed it's theatrical run. Although I rented it, this payday it will become a purchase.
It is not just the story that makes me like this film. Derek Luke's performance was VERY compelling. I had a tear or two (or three ;) ) at the end. I applaud the job that Denzel did with this film and am even more impressed with the fact that Antwone wrote it - it makes it that much more genuine to me (even if fictional characters have been added).
Michael.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I loved the movie too, but one nitpicky thing bugs me:

How did they get all that food and all those people assembled in the short amount of time it took for Antwone to visit the mother and come back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks