What's new

*** Official ALEXANDER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The score isn't bad. (to answer the question above).

Ok, here I will disagree, not with your review- you're entitled to that, but we sometimes fall into the kind of trap you present.. a movie is "misunderstood" because the critics don't like it. I'll admit, there are films that I deeply "love" that never received a giant ammount of critical praise. (Bis Ans End Der Welt as an example). However, I think it's important to say: I understnad other people didn't like it, I found it likable, rather then to imply critics seems to have a personal distaste against a genre or type.

I'm trying to think, but I think Scott and the Washington Post, etc. have been very fair with their openness to all sorts of films, but sometimes, you have to do what others won't, and that's to call something a turkey.

Admittedly, I really didn't like -National Treasure- (although it's a lot better then Alexander, at least it has a story with clear characters). But I know a lot of people who did. If I hated it, and they loved it, more power to them.

I have always considered "Postcards from the Edge" to be one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen. I still cannot last more then 20 minutes into the film, it drives me batty. But I know other people who love it.

To each there own, that's the basis of a review, lots of different opinions round out the whole.

I'm not saying this to you directly Mark, I'm saying this because I had just listened to someone talking about Alexander on NPR and the movie rep basically said "I don't think a lot of people "get" this film on the first watch." And then went on to imply "it could be like this year's Shawshank Redemption.. a slow builder until DVD"

Somehow, I don't think so.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

From what I've heard of it (Off of XM) it is a little odd, mainly because it is Vangelis. It does sound very "sword and sandle"-ish, but also very synthy. Otherwise, it does sound like it would fit the subject matter.

Jason

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This is sad. I'm not an admirer of Oliver Stone, but I really believed (wanted to believe), hoped and expected he could do something great with this.

Now, I'm also not an admirer of Leonardo DiCaprio, but... well, lets wait...

Cees

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Oh my.

I "got" this film alright. Right in the friggin' kisser!

Perhaps I should have gone in with bottom-of-the-barrel expectations and I MIGHT have come out neutral. As it is, I was hoping for SOMETHING here...and, what I got is nearly indescribably foul.

This may be the Rocky Horror of epic dramas. I think the 10 Commandments musical might be better.

Stilted dialogue, odd accents (come ON, Angie...what are you thinkin'?), no story...and the score? I like Vangelis, but this is pretty awful. Maybe I should listen to the CD without the film...but, now my mind will recall the film, so that's out.

This is one of the big ones. An award hopeful epic by a great director that is just gonna bomb like crazy.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Worse than:

Battlefield Earth?
Heaven's Gate?
Howard the Duck?
Ishtar?

Come on, people, throw me a bone! I'm dyin' for you to fork over your 9 bones so I don't have to!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's better then Battlefield Earth, which gave me a migraine to watch due to it's weird angles. I'll think about the others. :)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I guess Ebert's 2-star review of Alexander debunks any preconceived ideas about his bias towards films with Angelina Jolie. ;)

~Edwin

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Heaven's Gate is not a bad movie. It just bombed at the B.O. in historic fashion.

Alexander is better than Battlefield Earth and Ishtar. I never saw Howard.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
To be frank, I've never seen any of the films I mentioned above. Why? Because their reputation preceded them. So what I really want to know is this: apart from a good (unintentional) laugh to be had here and there, does 'Alexander' merit being seen by anyone?

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see why people are even bashing this film. It is a fairly good potrayal of the actual Alexander from all the history I've learned about him. In fact I can't wait to own the DVD!

Brion

P.S. Flame away with me if you must.
:)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Ok, spent a fair bit reading some online reviews and I think the following statement is as prescient as 'the sun'll come up tomorrow': Oliver Stone will not be adding a 3rd Best Director Oscar to his mantlepiece this year.

Wonder if Scorsese is sleeping well tonight. :)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
A big mess, but a big mess that makes me feel bad for Stone. I think Ebert is right when he writes that Alexander is a film of ambition, as opposed to a film like Troy.

Besides the awkwardness of the characters, makeup, etc., Stone also seemed to have his hands tied up by the epic genre. He wants to give you the glorious overhead shot of battlefields and rousing speechs, but seems lost in cutting it with the battle shots. The staging in the Persian battle looks more stale than the 60 plus years old Alexander Nevsky. When Stone lets loose a little with his cinematic bag of tricks in India, the film felt more alive to me. But he doesn't do this much in the film, negating one of his great assets. I felt that Stone was trying to fit himself within the epic genre instead of making the genre his own.

RE: the Vangelis score
I had heard and felt neutral to the score before seeing the movie. In the context of the movie, however, it's all wrong. Not just because it doesn't evoke the period, action or genre, but also because it serves neither to provide enforcement or counterpoint to the emotions of the picture.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Patrick G, Rosario Dawson's nude scene is great. She has a very nice body!

Brion

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks