What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Who the HELL posted that!! That guy should be tied to a chair with his eyes propped open and forced to watch an Eric Rohmer marathon!

No, not really.

I actually thought his follow-up post was hilarious Steve, especially the part about making tea. Wait-a-minute.........wasn't that............oh nevermind.

My take is: Either exclude foreign language films from the Best Picture category and keep the Foreign Language category (Everyone needs an extended bathroom break) or just shit-can the Foreign Language category. If a film can't make the cut into the top 10 then who really cares?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Avatar has already won the biggest prize of all the most popular movie of the modern era and it's still chugging along nicely.

I wouldn't mind if UP won, but hell will freeze over twice before an animated film ever wins a Best Picture Oscar. A good chunk of voters are actors and there is no way in hell that they will ever vote for a film without on-screen actors as Best Picture. That is one of the reasons why AVATAR doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning BP. Having a CGI character as a leading lady is instant death as far as a BP award goes.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Anything can happen, Up did get the highest rating of the 10 at Rotten Tomatoes.

Actually thats a total guess I haven't visited RT in ages.

Originally Posted by Jim_K

Stop it Jim, People are sensitive about such things. Hey it's all a bit of a lark, Jim and I love kung fu flicks as much as the next guy.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
If some people are saying they think INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is the best picture on this list, and it's the only one I've seen ... then it looks like I'm not missing much with the others!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

If some people are saying they think INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is the best picture on this list, and it's the only one I've seen ... then it looks like I'm not missing much with the others!

Of the six Best Picture noms I've seen, I'd rank them in the following order:
  1. Up In The Air
  2. Avatar
  3. Up
  4. Inglourious Basterds
  5. The Hurt Locker
  6. District 9

And I would argue that all six are worth seeing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi /forum/thread/297692/official-academy-awards-nominations-2010-thread-announced/90#post_3658398

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Of the six Best Picture noms I've seen, I'd rank them in the following order:
  1. Up In The Air
  2. Avatar
  3. Up
  4. Inglourious Basterds
  5. The Hurt Locker
  6. District 9
And I would argue that all six are worth seeing.
I've seen those six and Precious and I think they're all worth seeing. Even though I don't think District 9 is Best Picture material, I still think it was a cool movie.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've already said my peace on Bullock but I watched JULIE & JULIA earlier and I must admit that I didn't find it anywhere near Streep's best performance. I'd probably go even further and call it the "least" out of all her Oscar-nominated films that I've seen. I also watched PRECIOUS and for my money Sidibe did a lot better than both Streep and Bullock but I'm sure nominating her was the award.

Re: IB

I didn't care for this movie when I saw it but it wasn't that much of a shocker to see it get a BP nom. I still know more people who don't like it but none of them are voters. I do think it would be great if Tarantino won Best Director just to hear all those Euro-horror/war/action guys that he could thank for borrowing from these past ten years.

Having seen AVATAR, I'd be shocked if anything beat it but I've still got plenty more to watch including THE HURT LOCKER.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
OK, here's my take. If you haven't seen at least 4 of the 10 Best Pic nominees, don't bother making predictions. Just my 0.02 cents.

I've seen 9/10 with A Serious Man (probably because I was disappointed with Burn After Reading) being the only one I didn't see but I might now that its out on Blu-Ray.

I believe Katherine Bigelow will win Best Director and Avatar will win Best Picture (but won't be disappointed if The Hurt Locker wins it).

I want Carey Mulligan to win Best Actress but I believe Sandra Bullock will win it.

All the other categories I'm pretty much in line with pre-Oscar favorites.

'nuff said.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've seen 8 of the 10 and would rank them as such.

1. A Serious Man
2. Up in the Air
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. The Hurt Locker
5. Avatar
6. Up
7. Precious
8. District 9

I hope to see "An Education" before the awards, and I don't have much interest in "The Blind Side".

Although, I think it's far from the best movie of the year, Avatar was such an event movie and beautiful to see that I don't see anything else beating it.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
For me it's:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Avatar
3. Up
4. District 9
5. Up in the Air (a distant 5)

Having seen only 5, it's not my place to make predictions - this is just a list of how I rank the ones I did see.

I'm glad A Serious Man came out on DVD and will definitely give it a go before the Oscars, so I'm guessing my list will change. I loved Burn After Reading. Thought it was a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Jason

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason Roer

Having seen only 5, it's not my place to make predictions - this is just a list of how I rank the ones I did see.
I don't think there's a problem with making predictions. You don't need to have seen Avatar (for example) to predict that it will win Best Picture. I guess it's a different story though if someone makes a declaration like "Avatar is the best movie of the year" but they've only seen 3 of the nominations.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well I've seen 5 of the 10 nominated pictures and would rank them in this order -

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]1) Avatar
2) District 9
3) Up
4) The Hurt Locker
5) Inglourious Basterds
[/COLOR]

The only other film I'm interested in watching from the remaining 5 is Up in the Air. I'm not a big Clooney fan but Reitman's Thank You for Smoking was one of my faves in 2005.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
From what I've seen:

1. Up - 9/10
2. Avatar - 9/10
3. The Hurt Locker - 8/10
4. Inglourious Basterds - 8/10
5. District 9 - 8/10
6. Up in the Air - 8/10

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If someone wants to set some kind of arbitrary standard about who can and who can't be making predictions or rankings, I think that pretty much defeats the purpose of a discussion forum.

I've only seen five (so I guess I'm allowed to make predictions).

My ranking would be:

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Up
3. Avatar
4. District 9
5. The Blind Side

A Serious Man and The Hurt Locker are on my "to do" list.

My prediction will be Avatar will win...despite it's really weak story. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that it seems to me to have 1994 and "Gump" written all over it. But I think IB will be one of the films of 2009 best-remembered over time (like Shawshank or Pulp Fiction).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

If someone wants to set some kind of arbitrary standard about who can and who can't be making predictions or rankings, I think that pretty much defeats the purpose of a discussion forum.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean that people can't make predictions or rankings based on what they've seen. I only meant that someone shouldn't say that one movie is the Best Picture when they haven't seen most of the nominations. And honestly, you could take that attitude and expand it to say that you should have seen all 10 nominees (which leaves me out) before making a choice so what do I know.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
psst... the British Academy Awards are on tonight, anyone interested? [SIZE= smaller]*crickets chirping*[/SIZE]

http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/film-awards-nominations,949,BA.html

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The category of Best Picture really will be meaningless if AVATAR wins it this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks