What's new

A Mighty Wind (2003)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Title: A Mighty Wind

Tagline: Back together for the first time, again.

Genre: Comedy, Music

Director: Christopher Guest

Cast: Bob Balaban, Christopher Guest, John Michael Higgins, Eugene Levy, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Fred Willard, Larry Miller, Ed Begley Jr., Rachael Harris, Jennifer Coolidge, Paul Dooley, Don Lake, Deborah Theaker, Bill Cobbs, Michael Mantell, Paul Benedict, Michael Hitchcock, Mary Gross, Jim Moret, Marty Belafsky, Ryan Raddatz, Laura Harris, Diane Baker, Freda Foh Shen, Jim Piddock, Mina Kolb, LeShay N. Tomlinson, Christopher Moynihan, Jim Ortlieb, Michael S. Baser

Release: 2003-04-16

Runtime: 91

Plot: In "A Mighty Wind", director Christopher Guest reunites the team from "Best In Show" and "Waiting for Guffman" to tell tell the story of 60's-era folk musicians, who inspired by the death of their former manager, get back on the stage for one concert in New York City's Town Hall.

Anyone notice a set piece behind The Folksman that resembled Stonehenge?
The movie was great but the audio kept cutting out at the theater I saw it at. We completely missed the Folksman's dialogue backstage while the New Main Street Singers are playing. Fred Willard was excellent as usual. Personally I think this character was even better than his announcer in Best In Show. I couldn't breath I was laughing so hard while he was talking about "Wha' Happened." Jennifer Coolidge's model train
line got the biggest laugh of the movie.
Funniest movie I've seen in a while. The crew definitely delivers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "A Mighty Wind" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "A Mighty Wind" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
it was inevitable that someone ask this, but um...when is this thing expanding? hopefully around the orlando area? :D

Real Name
John Doroshenk
Man, I can't wait to see this movie, hoping to go this weekend, I loved Waiting for Guffman and Best In Show. Does Parker Posey have a good roll in this one?

Will K

Screenwriter
I've been anticipating this one since the fantastically funny Best In Show. Unfortunately, the Charlotte NC area is slower to get independent/eclectic features. :frowning:

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
What is going on with this movie's release? I am in Sarasota, Florida and can't find it playing anywhere. Not even in Tampa. Sure is no problem finding such dreck as House of 1000 corpses though.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Fun movie, our arthouse theater was PACKED and people were laughing so hard it was tough to hear the dialogue. Then midway they turned the volume way up and it was still hard to hear! Great movie, I think I'll enjoy it more with repeat viewing (when I finally hear all the dialogue!).

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Good time to go see it then. I think this film isn't as "accessible" by the mainstream public if/when it goes wide just because not everyone has seen Guffman and Best in Show. The folks seeing the film now know what to expect and really enjoy it, while you might be the only one laughing when it goes wide.

"Wwweeeellllll" :laugh:

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm a fan of most everybody in the cast, as well as their past work separate and together...

This movie has me interested but unfortunately, I don't know where it's playing. I was hoping to catch it when I was at Disney World last week, but I didn't. SIGH...better wait for the DVD.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If it counts for anything, though, I saw "Anger Management" and "Chicago". Both are recommended, but I'll just go to their individual threads to tout their virtues.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Saw this on Saturday, and the cinema was completely packed. The crowd seemed to love it. Did enjoy it myself.

Is it just me, or is the Mitch character is supposed to be a pastiche of Bob Dylan?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Was a pretty enjoyable movie, like most of Christopher Guest's movies. Problem I had with it, tho, was it seemed like it was a missed opportunity in some aspects. (What about all the political activism of the 60s folk movement?)

Is it just me, or is the Mitch character is supposed to be a pastiche of Bob Dylan?
I didn't think so...

Jason

Caroline_T

Auditioning
I thought this movie was great. I had to drive 45 minutes to get to a theater that had it, but it was completely worth it. The theater was packed too. Probably all Guffman fans. I hope they keep making these. I love them!

Caroline

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Yeah I hope they open this wide. Seems to be getting great reviews sans Eebs who was a little too harsh on it IMO.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
BrianB, that's not outlandish thinking at all. Didn't Dylan perform with Joan Baez and was romantically involved with her? Obviously they weren't a group... but in the speech of Mitch he feels kinda "Dylan".

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
BrianB, that's not outlandish thinking at all. Didn't Dylan perform with Joan Baez and was romantically involved with her? Obviously they weren't a group... but in the speech of Mitch he feels kinda "Dylan".
That's the connection I got - Dylan & Baez. Throughout the scenes with Mitch, he struck me as a "Dylan that stuck with Folk".

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Just letting everyone know, went to see this movie last night and it is hilarious, better then Best In Show, as funny as Spinal Tap. Christopher Guest and crew have hit another Home Run, go see it you will Laugh your A** off.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I am still lamenting that this film is playing nowhere within 40 miles of me :frowning:

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks