What's new

***Official 8th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (2 Viewers)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

I had intended to include some half-a-dozen Sci-Fi titles for this Halloween Challenge but since my film-viewing pace slackened throughout the month, I had to let some proposed titles (a lot of them) fall by the wayside. But, yes, I'd definitely be interested in participating in this Challenge...provided it''s not done immediately.

Frankly, I'm a little burned out from watching Horror exclusively and I am itching to be "free" to watch anything and not be constrained by the subject-matter! However, there are still a dozen or more Horror titles on the way to me as we speak - the Fox Horror Classics collection, several of the latest batch of Midnite Movies, Mario Bava Box Set Vol. 2, etc. - and I still intend to watch them as soon as they arrive just because some of them I've been wanting to watch for a long time - THE UNDYING MONSTER (1942), THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING (1964), BARON BLOOD (1972), the KOLCHAK TV series, etc. - or simply sound too intriguing to pass by - MALABIMBA: THE MALICIOUS WHORE (1979) and its remake, SATAN'S BABY DOLL (1982):)!!

P.S. Your review for THE LAST WARNING (1929) was my tonic for the day and I hope I'll get a chance to watch the film for myself some time soon...:)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm not really into this challenge this year, though I was last October. I actually needed to get on the "overtime list" at work through the rest of 2007, so as a result I am working more hours than ever before - which is something I'm never a big fan of doing - and I'm just way too exhausted to watch as many films as I'd like. But on Halloween Day I'll actually be off, so I am thinking of dedicating that entire day and night to one huge marathon of movie-watching. It's something I've never done before, and I seriously doubt I'll have the stamina to do it. But even if I watch 10 films throughout that day, it'll be something. I hope I can crack 50 movies for the month, at least.

As for the sci-fi (and other genres) challenge, I don't know. I'm still trying to put into effect a "theme week" schedule for myself where I watch movies at least from Monday through Thursday nights which have a common thread (same director, actor, sequels in a series, etc...). Yes, I am a huge horror movie fan, but I am also toying with the idea of saving horror viewings for the weekends, to sort of recapture my youth when Friday or Saturday nights meant it was time for CHILLER THEATER, CREATURE FEATURES, or FRIGHT NIGHT.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE:

SCARY MOVIE CHALLENGE 2007
01) The Phantom of the Opera (1925) ***
02) The Black Cat (1941) **1/2
03) Horror Island (1941) *1/2
04) Man Made Monster (1941) ***
05) Dracula (1931) ***
06) The Monster and the Girl (1941) *
07) The Lodger (1944) ***1/2
08) Hangover Square (1945) ***
09) The Undying Monster (1942) **1/2
10) Cat People (1942) ***
11) Cry of the Werewolf (1944) **
12) Night Monster (1942) **1/2
13) Captive Wild Woman (1943) **1/2
14) The Invisible Man Returns (1940) ***
15) The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) **1/2
16) The Return of the Vampire (1943) ***
17) The Werewolf (1956) **1/2
18) Creature with the Atom Brain (1955) **1/2
19) The Giant Claw (1957) **
20) The Mummy (1932) **1/2
21) The Mummy's Hand (1940) ***
22) The Mummy's Tomb (1942) **1/2
23) The Mummy's Ghost (1944) ***
24) The Mummy's Curse (1944) **
25) Count Dracula (BBC 1977) ***
26) Frankenstein (1931) ****
27) The Old Dark House (1932) ***1/2
28) Bride of Frankenstein (1935) ****
29) 28 Weeks Later (2007) ***1/2
30) Corridors of Blood (1958) ***

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Meatball Machine (2005)

Viewed 10/27/2007 (first viewing)

Boy meets girl. Girl gets infected with an alien that transforms her
body into a gooey cybernetic weapon. Girl/alien then does gory battle
with other alien-infected humans. Boy tries to save girl by letting
himself get infected. Another human/machine bonding fetish film in
the vein of Tetsuo.

:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Also revisited Universal's Frankenstein and Dracula, both of which rate ***1/2 out of ****

While both are a bit creaky around the edges, I played a little game and watched them from the perspective of a filmgoer of the period (someone unaccustomed to onscreen horror) and found them much more effective.

"Now I know what it feels like to BE God!!!"

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Saw IV (2007) - BOMB

Okay, that's the end of the line for me with this series. I loved the first one and found it quite interesting and original (****) and I thought the second was 'good', and the third one kind of 'so-so'.... but the new chapter is an absolute mess. And I don't just mean in the sense that there's the usual blood, guts, and slime everywhere you look... I'm talking about it being incoherent and impossible to follow to the point of it hurting your head. There is no longer anything fresh here, it's now just completely repetitious and dull. It's okay in my book if a film is jumbled in the way it tries to tell its story, just as long as if you get lost, the movie is able to bring you back. No such luck here -- I didn't know who the characters were, who was doing what or why, and the camera never sat still for a second. Just a really frustrating experience, and I am personally content to let my personal SAW library end at the three DVDs currently sitting on my shelves.

05) Dracula (1931) ***
31) Saw IV (2007) BOMB

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Scale: 1=awful 2=bad 3=average 4=good 5=excellent. 1st viewings in red.

Hostel Part 2 (1996):star::star::star:Bunch of stuff.

the butcher's bill...
1. Monster Squad
2. Call of the Cthulhu

3. Mimic
4. The Omen
5. The Descent
6. Manos: The Hands Of Fate
7. Isolation
8. Insatiable
9. The Changeling
10. Perfect Creature
11. The Ninth Gate
12. The Nightmare Before Christmas
13. Nekromantik
14. Nekromantik 2
15. Bride Of The Monster
16. Saw 3
17. Plan 9 From Outer Space
18. Primeval
19. Slither
20. Bug
21. 28 Weeks Later
22. Fright Night
23. Feast
24. Dead Silence
25. C.H.U.D.
26. The Abandoned
27. Unrest
28. The Gravedancers
29. The Hamiltons
30. The Tripper
31. Penny Dreadful
32. The Fly
33. The Fly 2
34. Panic In Year Zero!
35. The Last Man On Earth
36. Poltergeist 2
37. Poltergeist 3
38. The Terminator
39. Hostel Part 2
40. The Craft

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
#26 Invisible Ray: Pretty silly premise and even sillier special effects keep this one from getting very interesting. Lugosi and Karloff are fine, but they don't have a great story to work with. 1.5/5

#27 Revenge of the Creature: Re-watching this was a bit of a chore. I used to think it was a pretty good sequel, but the "love story" takes up a big chunk of the movie and not a whole lot else happens. But the Creature is still cool as hell---and STILL doesn't get listed in the credits! 2/5

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BLACK CHRISTMAS :star::star: (2006)

I was never a slavish disciple to the original 1974 film, so when the remake was announced, I was pretty much "Meh..." while fans of the original shrieked bloody murder. But I still think I'd give the edge to the original film over the remake. The older film seemed to build up better atmosphere and scares, while the new film is mostly concerned with gore. I also didn't find Billy's backstory about his family and offspring all that compelling, preferring the original film where the killer's background and motives were more ambiguous. Call me obtuse, but I also didn't get the fixation with eyes? Eyes are gouged, eaten, mutilated, seen peeking through cracks, and used as decoration. I assume there's a reason for it. Also, why did...
adult Agnes seem like a transexual with a hormone problem when she seemed perfectly normal as a young girl? I realize the character was played by a male actor and they were probably trying to emphasize her in-bred origin. But if that's what they were going for, why wouldn't they make the younger version of Agnes look a little more odd?

THE CARNAGE SO FAR...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As always, I'm not a critic- I just know what I like but I'm not very good at articulating it.

10/28/07
101. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
This a pretty decent F13 sequel. It's got a sense of humor but doesn't it go overboard with it either. Thom Matthews (of Return Of The Living Dead fame) makes for a good hero. Plus, Alice Cooper does most of the songs in the movie.

102. Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
This is a pretty popular entry amongst F13 fans but I think it's lousy. Introducing a telekinetic girl who can battle Jason is a bit of a stretch. The characters are just stereotypes (there's nerd, ugly girl, stoner, black guy, black girl, bitch, yuppie, slut) and while I realize F13 isn't known for its characterization, it's much worse in this one than most others.

103. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
There's about four and a half minutes of footage shot in New York and the rest is on soundstages and in the sleazier parts of Vancouver.

104. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (Unrated)
The opening with Jason getting blown apart by the FBI is kinda cool but then his spirit body jumps for the next 80 minutes. In other words, this movie needed alot more of Jason and less of Jason possessing people.

105. Jason X
The movie looks like a made for cable or a direct to video movie. There's some fun kills like the liquid nitrogen head smash. David Cronenberg plays a scientist at the beginning of the movie.

106. Freddy Vs. Jason
One of the better sequels from both the NOES and F13 series. Once the battle between Freddy and Jason happens, the movie pays off.

My full list is in post #389.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd be up to a sci-fi month, I can save my Godzilla movies for it. :P

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD 2.5/5 : A group of satanic hippies terrorize a town, so a local kid spikes their meat pies with rabies to turn them into satanic hippies with rabies. Pretty good grindhouse flick, decent gore and a lot of fun.

BLOODSUCKING FREAKS 3/5 : This ones been discussed before. This is my first time seeing "The Directors Cut", and didn't notice any difference from the old version I saw ages ago on VHS. Such an oddball mix of gore and S&M, none of it with much of a point. Yet, you can't stop watching it.

DREAM CRUISE 2/5 : The J-Horror entry in season 2 Masters Of Horror. Bored me. Had all the clichés, ghost kids, blah blah. Not badly done just seen it all before.

THE NEW YORK RIPPER 2.5/5 : I was half way through this when I realized that I watched it last year. Says about all you need to know.

MANIAC 3.5/5 : Incredibly dark slasher, and calling it a slasher doesn't really do it justice. The "TAXI DRIVER" of slasher films probably best describes it, as it totally focuses on the killer. Savini was in top form with the effects to. This is the type of film people complain that the current horror films are, gruesome and disturbing.

THE DEVILS 3.5/5 : Not a true horror film in the traditional sense, but like "THE WICKER MAN", it's one that so draws you in that you can't help but get freaked out and spooked. Oliver Reed is fantastic as always, and after finally seeing it, it's worth the fuss that's been made over it. I have no idea how this got green lit, there's no way a film like it would get made today.

RAGDOLL 1/5 : A guy in a lame ass R&B band uses his grammy's hoodoo to make a ragdoll kill the gangsters who... don't worry about the plot, it was a piece of shit. Only distinguishable for having an all black cast, yet managing to not come of exploitational.

The tally that's close to the bitter end, only a few days to go folks :frowning:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...70&postcount=7

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Saw III (2006) - :star::star:1/2

Third chapter is more of the same, gore-wise, but I like that it at least has somewhat of a storyline as Jigsaw's assistant Amanda kidnaps a female doctor to force her to operate on Jigsaw as he's dying. Meanwhile, another man whose little boy was killed by a driver is being tested while going through Jigsaw's trappings with the promise of being able to confront the person who killed his son at the end of the game.

05) Dracula (1931) ***
31) Saw IV (2007) BOMB
32) Saw III (2006) **1/2

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
065) 10/25/07 The Return of the Living Dead (1985) :star::star::star:

Employees of Uneeda Medical Supply unleash a government-produced gas that reanimates the dead. Very enjoyable zombie film which has well-placed laughs, suspense, and terrific performances, especially by James Karen. The "young punks" are a most likeable bunch.

066) 10/25/07 Return of the Living Dead 2 (1988) :star:

Really bad sequel has more dead revived by notorious Trioxin gas. The target audience seems to be 12 year olds. Not funny, clever, or scary, just painful. Has the feel of a bad Tales from the Darkside episode.

067) 10/26/07 Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993) :star::star:

When his girlfriend is killed in a motorcycle accident, the son of a military operative takes advantage of the Trioxin gas to bring her back to life - with disastrous results. OK film has decent lead performance from Mindy Clarke, but it loses its footing by contriving an incident in a convenience store and taking it in a rather silly direction. And those stereotypes...Ugh!

068) 10/26/07 Bay of Blood (1971) :star::star::star:

Director Mario Bava's influential body count film about murderous murderers who murder murderers. Stylish, gory, and fun for those who enjoy these kind of films.

069) 10/27/07 Psycho (1960) :star::star::star::star:

Marion Crane steals $40,000 and makes an unwise stop at the Bates Motel. Still potent after umpteen viewings, Alfred Hitchcock's classic boasts Bernard Herrmann's rich score and Anthony Perkins' iconic performance. Suspenseful to watch even when you know what's coming next.

070) 10/27/07 Psycho II (1983) :star::star::star:

Good follow-up has Norman Bates released after 22 years to continue his management of the Bates Motel. Not just a retread of the original, this film takes place mostly in the Bates house, and Perkins is excellent. The film takes some liberties with the original story to introduce a questionable twist at the end. But plot turns in Psycho III actually "right" this "wrong" and make this first sequel even better because of it.

071) 10/28/07 Psycho III (1986) :star::star::star:

The Bates Motel is back in business. Potential victims this time out include a nosey reporter, a suicidal convent drop-out, a sleazy would-be musician, and a group of football fans staying at the hotel for Homecoming. Perkins makes his directing debut here and does a wonderful job, with nods to Vertigo, Frenzy, and The Birds, among others. Plays more like a dark comedy than the previous installments, with some great lines ("No one ever [stays here long]," "I've seen [the bathroom] worse.")

072) 10/28/07 Psycho IV (1990) :star::star:

Norman calls a radio talk show doing a segment on mother murderers and tells his story, as well as claiming he intends to kill again. This made-for-Showtime sequel was written by Joseph Stefano, the screenwriter for the original Psycho, so the plot inconsistencies are maddening. (For example, in the original, the motel wasn't built until after Mrs. Bates met her lover. In this film the hotel has always been in the family.) Perkins is in fine form and there are some disturbing moments involving Norma Bates' treatment of her son. But the ending falls flat, and it's hard to believe Norman was even released so soon after the events in Psycho III. (Another point, Psycho III takes place about one month after the events in Psycho II, i.e., 1983. But this film, made in 1990, refers to the last murders being four years ago. Unless Psycho IV takes place in 1987, the last murders actually took place seven years ago.)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
James -

I was catching up with this thread and was sorry to hear about your loss. My parents bought our dog, when I was 12, on October 26, 1979, and named her Tricksie in honor of the holiday. She lived for about 15 years before medical problems took over. I hope the wonderful memories you have will soon overtake your grief.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
James, let me add my condolences for the loss of your pet.

I've gotten behind on my postings recently, so here we have three variations on a theme, a Universal double feature... and an oddity. :D

First time viewings in red

6. The Devil-Doll (1936). MGM never did understand the horror film. After the debacle of Freaks, the studio’s other efforts were half-hearted at best. The Mask of Fu Manchu was just a sadistic pulp fantasia. Mark of the Vampire didn’t have the courage of its own convictions, and rationalized itself away. Which brings us to The Devil-Doll. This story of an innocent fugitive (Lionel Barrymore) out for exoneration and revenge could have come from the files of Charlie Chan… except he escapes with a mad scientist who’s obsessed with reducing living thing to a sixth of their natural size. The process works but removes all free will from the subject. When the scientist dies, Barrymore sees this a method to achieve his ends. So he disguises himself in drag as toymaker Madame Mandelip, moves to Paris and begins his campaign against his three corrupt ex-business partners. The special effects required for the dolls are still quite impressive, and must have wowed an audience back in 1936. Barrymore’s disguise is also quite believable, even though it’s obviously based on the one Lon Chaney wore in The Unholy Three. The rest of the film is a run-of-the-mill crime melodrama done in the MGM house style – glossy, but without many directorial flourishes. I don’t think the script interested Tod Browning much but, considering that the story was eviscerated to placate the British film censors, that’s understandable.

7. Dr. Cyclops (1940). Four years later, Paramount took on the idea of miniaturization, but with the added problem of doing it in Technicolor. This must be what passed for a special effects blockbuster back in 1940. The effects, using the same techniques as MGM did a few years, still impress. The film also has that lush Technicolor glow, making it a wonder to behold. Too bad this is all in support of a pulpy screenplay that doesn’t do the actors any favors either. As the mad scientist, Albert Dekker certainly looks the part, but is as one-dimensional as everyone else. I don’t even recall if he gave a reason for why he was doing this. If you think too much about it, it all starts to fall apart. Best to just switch off, and just enjoy the spectacle on the screen.

8. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957). Finally, a story that’s the equal of the special effects used to tell it. I once heard someone say that if you are going to have an outrageous idea in a story, the rest of the story should be as grounded and realistic as possible to increase its plausibility. Scott Carey had been exposed to a radioactive cloud while on vacation. A later exposure to insecticide catalyzes the radioactivity, causing him to start shrinking. What happens next (job loss, marital difficulties, the crush of unwanted celebrity) is quite believable. And the last act of the film, when Scott is trapped in his own basement, is one of the best extended sequences in the sci-fi genre. But above all, you actually care about Scott and what’s happening to him and his family. It is this empathy that makes the film one of the finest sci-fi movie of all time.

9. Man-Made Monster (1941). Though others have made this observation, this bagatelle of a horror film does look like a dry run for The Wolf Man later in the year. You can easily see it as a transitional film, because Lon Chaney, Jr.’s performance both looks back to Lennie in Of Mice and Men, and forward to his iconic role as Larry Talbot. As the mad doctor, Lionel Atwill delivers his own fine brand of premium ham. Despite that, the movie is quite enjoyable on its own, and, at 60 minutes, doesn’t wear out its welcome.

10. Horror Island (1941). From looking at the release dates, this appears to have went out on the same bill as Man-Made Monster. Looked at as a pair, they do appear to balance each other out. While Man-Made Monster was a relatively serious sci-fi monster movie, Horror Island is a light-hearted “old dark house” mystery. This was even more of a pleasant surprise than the previous movie due to the presence of the Phantom. His scenes were just dripping with atmosphere reminiscent of the pulp adventures of The Shadow. Those scenes have a more authentic Shadow feel to them than many of the official adaptations. Otherwise, the film hits all the marks expected from the genre since The Cat and the Canary and The Bat, as well as looking forward to Scooby Doo. Plus, the central mystery is actually more puzzling that you’d expect in one of these B-grade programmers.

11. Super Friends - “Attack of the Vampire” (1978). Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it’s the Super Friends vs. Count Dracula in an episode stripped of almost all vampire lore (no blood, neck biting, garlic, crucifixes or stakes through the heart) by Standards and Practices so that it can be shown on Saturday morning television. This version of Dracula changes his victims by means of a magic dust, or by shooting transforming rays from his eyes. He even manages to change Superman and the Wonder Twins into vampires! :eek: So how do you defeat a vampire without staking him? Well, it all has to with a species of South American bat that is immune to vampire bats due to a mysterious gas deep in its caves in the Andes and… oh, this is just too silly. Even Adam West and Burt Ward never sunk this low.

My tally.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
10/25/07: CANDYMAN (Bernard Rose, 1992) :star::star:1/2

I found this well-regarded horror effort to be quite stylish (photographed by DON’T LOOK NOW [1973]’s Anthony Richmond, no less!) but essentially underwhelming. Despite its attempts to infuse the proceedings with elements of folklore, mysticism and even romance, the titular ‘monster’ is really no different than the stalker/boogeyman figure of traditional slasher films! Besides, while there are a few effective scares (especially the hook coming out of the mirror – the film is capped, then, by a CARRIE [1976]-like final shock) and considerable gore, Tony Todd’s Candyman wasn’t as scary or as exotic as I had been expecting; even worse, his would-be portentous dialogue is largely incoherent! However, the film has two definite assets in Philip Glass’ simple but haunting main theme and the presence – in both senses of the word – of leading lady Virginia Madsen (surely one of the better female roles to emerge for this type of film in recent times). I’ll still be checking out the first sequel at least, which I rented along with this one.

10/26/07: CANDYMAN: FAREWELL TO THE FLESH (Bill Condon, 1995) :star::star:

Dreary sequel, despite resetting the narrative to the tale’s original location of New Orleans (with flashbacks to the Candyman’s grisly fate). This time around, the heroine discovers she’s related to the Candyman rather than being a re-incarnation of his white lover; that said, Kelly Rowan is no substitute for Viriginia Madsen! In fact, apart from Tony Todd’s titular character (who’s even less scary here but, at least, he’s intelligible:)), Michael Culkin’s ill-fated professor is the only link to the first film.

Other than the requisite gore (and Philip Glass score), again, we have a subplot involving a black child who lives in fear of the Candyman; additionally, however, we get a bit of irrelvant sleaze (this being conveniently set during Mardi Gras)! The presence of veterans Veronica Cartwright and Matt Clark is welcome; predictably, though, they both end up as meat for the Candyman’s hook:).

While director Condon may have started in horror (this is the only one I’ve watched, actually), he really came into his own when he branched out into other genres – and, quite frankly, I wouldn’t have bothered watching this hadn’t he been involved…

10/27/07: MASTERS OF HORROR: PELTS (Dario Argento, 2006) (TV) :star::star:1/2

Like his previous “Masters Of Horror” effort, JENIFER (2005), this feels nothing like the typical Argento film; reportedly, however, his latest project – the much-anticipated (and long-awaited) THE THIRD MOTHER (2007) is a return to form of sorts for the Italian maestro. Anyway, PELTS again features a surprising emphasis on sex – with lead actor Meat Loaf shown being obsessed with a black stripper! While his role is too small, it was still nice to see an aged John Saxon re-united with the director (24 years after TENEBRE [1982]).

The engaging plot provides the excuse for a simple enough message – “Be Careful What You Wish For” – but the level of gore (even if the make-up in some scenes leaves a lot to be desired) displayed throughout the episode is so extreme, to say nothing of outrageous, as to be amusing rather than repellent or disturbing! Sado-masochism is perhaps a logical step from fetishism, but there’s no real explanation as to why the raccoon fur should have that effect on people who come into contact with it – unless a suggestion of black magic is intended with the presence of the old woman who owns the land on which the animal was hunted…

10/27/07: HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR: GUARDIAN OF THE ABYSS (Don Sharp, 1980) (TV) :star::star:1/2

Hammer probably regretted not getting the cult classic THE WICKER MAN (1973); this, then, was their chance to make amends (the plot may be closer to the company’s own THE DEVIL RIDES OUT [1968], but the revelation is straight out of the Anthony Shaffer/Robin Hardy chiller). However, the result isn’t exactly special, if eminently watchable (as all of their work still is after all these years). It does feature three past contributors from the horror outfit’s heyday: director Sharp (KISS OF THE VAMPIRE [1963]), imposing villain John Carson (PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES [1966]) and ex-starlet Barbara Ewing (DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE [1968]). Then again, lovely leading lady Rosalyn Landor makes as good an impression (and not just for the obvious reason:)).

10/27/07: HALLOWEEN 5 (Dominique Othenin-Girard, 1989) :star:1/2

I had intended to check this out prior to viewing the remake of the original; however, it wasn’t available for rental at the time. Now that I’ve caught up with it, I’m only left with Part 6 of the series to catch up with. I recall liking HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS (1988) well enough (unfortunately, I lost my reviews for Parts 1, 2 and 4 along with a few others because my computer hard-disk has recently died on me!) – but this takes the franchise back to the mediocrity prevalent in the disappointing second instalment!!

Anyway, the opening shamelessly rips off BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935) with Michael Myers shown to have survived his apparent demise at the end of the previous film; what’s stupid, however, is that he should wait a whole year (i.e. the next Halloween) before going after his niece – what the hell is he up to the rest of the year:)? Donald Pleasence returns (for the last time) as Dr. Loomis: I don’t recall how his character behaved in Part 4, but here he’s rather hysterical and unsympathetic; interestingly, his eventual demise is strikingly similar to Malcolm McDowell’s counterpart in the current version!

Even if it came out of nowhere, the possession by Myers of his little niece at the end of Part 4 was an inspired touch; here, however, she reverts to being afraid of him (besides having gone speechless following a murder she herself committed!) – though still telekinetically connected to The Shape, The Boogeyman, or whatever you wish to call him. The teenagers in this installment are among the most boring ever seen in the slasher subgenre – with the heroine (for whom the audience is supposed to root) being especially resistible!

Two days after watching the thing I can hardly remember a scene/slaying I could reasonably call a highlight – including the climax; what I can’t forget is the padded (and idiotic) footage involving the so-called Man In Black whose character was, reportedly, fleshed out (and his identity revealed) in Part 6…

10/28/07: HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR: VISITOR FROM THE GRAVE (Peter Sasdy, 1980) (TV) :star::star:1/2

Again, a number of Hammer veterans were involved in this episode – namely director Sasdy (TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA [1970], HANDS OF THE RIPPER [1971]) and writer John Elder (a pseudonym for Anthony Hinds); however, the plot is totally predictable – down to the unoriginal ‘revelation’ (even if it does work in a final ironic twist)! Even worse are the histrionic performances of the heroine (recovering from a spell in an insane asylum), a female fortune teller she consults (after she keeps seeing a man killed by her in self-defence) and the Swami (hilariously named Gupta Krishna!) to whom the latter refers the leading lady. The hero, then, is played by future “Manimal” Simon MacCorkindale. In the end, it’s all harmless enough – but also one of the lesser episodes in this entertaining horror series.

10/28/07: THE BURNING (Tony Maylam, 1981) :star::star:1/2

Opinions vary with respect to this slasher: Leonard Maltin rates it a BOMB, while our own Michael Elliott had awarded it :star::star::star:! Surprisingly, I found myself leaning towards the more favorable rating – though I wouldn’t quite go all the way:).

It is somewhat better than most of the FRIDAY THE 13TH films – which it most closely resembles in view of the summer camp backdrop. Unusually, though, we learn that the disfigured maniac at the center of it was always something of a villain – which certainly doesn’t elicit our sympathy for him! Still, the hero is allowed to get away with having participated in the prank which sent the former off the deep end (then again, his companions – who are never seen again after the prologue – have it way better than him)!

As for the youngsters, I guess it’s a tie: some kids are likable enough, a few of the girls are certainly pretty but there are, of course, the obnoxious egocentrics/show-offs in their midst as well. Unsurprisingly, the latter get their just desserts but, then, so do a number of the others – with the girls more often than not caught, for our benefit, with their knickers down:).

The murder weapon utilized most often throughout – a pair of garden shears – undoubtedly allows for a number of graphic slayings. Interestingly, then, for the finale, the villain brings out a blowtorch (intending to give the hero the treatment he got himself, albeit accidentally). Needless to say, though, it all ends horribly for the killer (clad in dark clothes a` la the typical giallo maniac!) – destined forever to become the subject of camp-fire tales told by the teenagers he hates so much (is the guy unlucky or what?)!!

Technically, the film – which, incidentally, proved the Weinstein brothers’ baptism of fire (no pun intended!) – is nothing special and relies rather too obviously on cheap scares. A definite asset, however, is to be found in Rick Wakeman’s electronic score; Tom Savini’s make-up of the villain – when finally glimpsed – is quite effective, too.

10/28/07: MASTERS OF HORROR: VALERIE ON THE STAIRS (Mick Garris, 2006) (TV) :star::star:1/2

This isn’t well-regarded on the IMDB, but I personally liked it well enough. While the plot (based, as were the recently-viewed “Candyman” films, on a story by Clive Barker) features several well-worn elements, the mix proves intriguing and reasonably compelling: failed author, eccentric household, ghostly damsel-in-distress, literary characters coming to life, etc.

Even if there were only two noted performers – the ever-reliable (and quirky) Christopher Lloyd and the Candyman himself, Tony Todd (once again, playing a figure of mystery and menace, a rather effectively made-up demon) – the rest of the cast does well enough by their roles as well, especially the hero and heroine (the entrancing Clare Grant) and the two older women in the boarding-house.

As was the case with the two previous “Masters Of Horror” episodes I’ve watched – both, incidentally, helmed by Dario Argento – this too confirms that TV has finally achieved maturity (with its graphic display of sexuality and violence, and the tackling of subjects previously considered taboo, in this case, a dash of lesbianism). In fact, not being into modern TV series at all, I’d only previously encountered such explicitness – where, however, it was mostly gratuitous and even off-putting – in ROME (2005)…

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
(28) Carrie - :star::star::star:1/2 / :star::star::star::star::star:
Not much new to say about this one. Sissy Spacek is excellent and Piper Laurie is chilling. Maybe I'll watch the re-make, just for grins.

(29) Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - :star::star::star::star: / :star::star::star::star::star:
I'm sure some people will grumble about me including this one, but it Transformers fits, so does this. I seriously enjoyed this modernized serial the first time I saw it a few years ago, and I still like it. Kerry Conran definitely understands serials and went for broke here.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
#28 The Mummy's Curse: Easily the worst of the Mummy sequels. The plot holes get bigger with each passing film...suddenly, the films are set in "Bayou Country"! The Scripps Museum knew where the mummy was buried but waited 25 years to come look for it??? And we get the obligatory "flashback" AGAIN! 1/5

#29 Black Friday: It's just your typical mad scientist/gangster/borderline science fiction film noir. Really. Pretty outrageous set-up, but I HAD to see how it turned out. Lugosi really has a pretty minor role even though it's included in his Legacy Collection. Worth seeing just for the ridiculous Jekyll/Hyde transformation... 1.5/5

Tim Tucker: I completely agree with your assessment of "Cyclops" vs. "Shrinking". I particularly enjoyed the ending of "ISM"... it didn't take the easy way out!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Re: PSYCHO 4

I think the screenwriter wrote it as a direct sequel to the original film so that's why it doesn't add up with what happens in parts 2 and 3. I enjoyed the thing for what it was although I was really disappointed when it originally aired on Showtime. I think 2 and 3 are very good films as well. The black humor in part 3 really puts it above the slashers, which were out at the same time.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
#30 The Creature Walks Among Us: What a weak sequel! The Creature storyline is secondary to the marital discord of the doctor and his wife. An open (and unsatisfying) ending doesn't help---unless you count the fact that there were no more sequels released. 1/5

BTW: While watching The Mummy's Curse there was the "This film has been modified..." disclaimer. It's the only one I recall seeing in any of the Universal sets that said this. Can anyone fill me in as to why? I am SURE it wasn't originally presented in widescreen... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks