What's new

***Official 4th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I know Mitty usually makes this thread, but since he hasn't been heard from in two months I decided to carry the torch and make the 4th Annual Scary Movie Challage. As the quote from the last year thread states, there is two challages, the 13 movie scarefest or the splatterific challage of 31 movies. I am sorry if you were posting this Mitty, but I didn't want to lose a day for anyone trying the Splatterific challage. Good luck and don't asnwer the phone if you are alone.

It's October again. Didn't we just do this?

Those of you who remember, each of the last two years have seen me challenge willing HTF members to watch 13 scary movies in the month of October to celebrate Halloween.

What's the point? There isn't one, other to enjoy yourself, burn through some unseen discs, and catch a couple of genre films you've never seen. Last year, for instance, I caught the mind blowing Wicker Man for the first time and managed to rip through all of those Universal monster movie double features.

Here are the rules, reposted from last year's thread , amazingly, still in existence:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, if you wanna join in, the rules are simple:

1. Watch 13 Scary/Horror/Halloween-Themed films before midnight on October 31, 2001 (on a case by case basis, I may give special dispensation to extend the deadline until dawn on November 1st ).

2. Two of the above must be new discoveries, movies you've never seen before. The point of this is to see those few movies you've always meant to see, but never got around to. I recommend more than 2, but 2 is the minimum to pat yourself on the head and say you completed the challenge.

3. If you were part of the challenge last year, no more than two of the same films can be RE-watched. I'll grant a couple since some movies (ie. Halloween, Rocky Horror) are simply tradition and I'm willing to give credit for these.

4. Come here and talk about 'em.

Simple, yes?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, the new date is October 31, 2002.

A couple of new caveats.

5. There is an uber-category, the Ultimate Splatter Challenge for those who wish to put all of the rest of us to shame. This is the heavyweight division. These people, if they choose to accept the challenge, must view 31 horror/scary/halloween themed movies before dawn on Nov. 1st. The rest of us will bow down in awed reverence to these truly "Splatterific" HTF members. The bragging rights will be awesome and long lived.

6. There has been discussion over the past two years as to what movies qualify. Is Silence of the Lambs a horror movie? Does The Nightmare Before Christmas count? From now on, if you wanna include it, go for it. There will be no hairsplitting. If The Wizard of Oz send you to the dresser for a fresh pair of boxer shorts, all the power.

Takers? Anyone wanna take on the Ultimate Splatter Challenge?

Peter M. Fitzgerald kick ALL of our asses last year (the inspiration for the "U.S.C."), so I hope he'll join in again.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This is obviously my kind of contest. Anyways, I've already watched three horror flicks today with my best friend, and it would've been even more if he didn't have to leave for church. Anyways, today I watched:

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter- Possibly my favorite of the series.
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III- The new DVD kicks ass, and this is easily the best of the sequels in this series.
The Night Flier- One of my top five favorite vampire films. Very underrated and creepy with an outstanding sleazy performance from the always reliable Miguel Ferrer! Fantastic little gem!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'll do it this year. For a film I have never seen I have rented Dagon for tommorow night. Don't really know what to expect.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'll play it again. No entries yet, but I'll catch something tonight.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
[Pete, running in place in sweatsuit, chugs a glass of raw egg yolks]

Count me in, also. Back in a few...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Don't know how many I'll be able to see...but I am IN!

I have a few of discs I need to review, but I can rejigger my Netflix queue to get some gore into my hands sooner.

Happy October, all!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Don't know, his last post was way back in August. Trust me, I would rather have him make it, but I am not expecting him to be back in time. Need to gather a list of movies to watch this year (didn't enter last year, but did express instrest in trying).

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Well last year I went on a horror movie binge in the last two weeks and ended up with a total of 64, I know I wont even come close to that this year, but I'll aim for the 31 anyhow :)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a favorite horror film they watch every October?

I always make time to watch Carpenter's, The Thing. Probably my all-time favorite 'straight' horror film. Brillant in every sense of the word.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I always make time to watch Carpenter's, The Thing. Probably my all-time favorite 'straight' horror film. Brillant in every sense of the word.
For me, it's gotta be Halloween. Although I do watch The Thing every year...as well as most of the rest of Carpenter's catalog :)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I have decided on the thirdteen that I will watch this year. While there isn't many I yet to see (don't have a budget to purchase unseen movies sadly), so I grabbing my brother horror movies and combining with the ones I have.

Jaws (Killer Shark on the Loose)

Monster Inc(not really a horror movie, but it more tradinational)

Signs (evil aliens and bad water)

Stephen King's It (got to love the miniseries version of the book, along with paying last rites to John Ritter)

Blair Witch Project (not the greatest horror movie in the world, but serves it purpose in the end)

The Exorcist (classic)

The Fog (got to love pirate ghosts :D)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (like Monster Inc, it is tradinational, but still great to watch)

Dusk to Dawn (a little more action, but still has a lot of horror)

House of 1000 Corpses (not the greatest horror movie in the world, but does a good job on the slashing)

The Evil Dead (I seen the sequels countless times, but never watch the orignal)

Sixth Sense (haven't seen this in years)

The Omega Man (bought this a few weeks ago, but never got a chance to watch it)

While there are better choices out there, but I lack a job or transportation to see all the great horror movies.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I've led off with a perennial favorite, Creepshow. The more I see it, the more I enjoy it, with the comic book color schemes, great cast, creepy situations, and memorable dialogue.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm in again, I've already lined up a bunch of horror movies in my Netflix queue. I'm going to be hardpressed on time this year though because I have go out of town twice this month for work and I'm taking a short vacation as well.

I have the original The Vanishing to watch tonight (never seen it) and I've kept Day of the Dead wrapped up waiting for the challenge.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a favorite horror film they watch every October?
I have three that I must watch every Halloween. They are The Blair Witch Project, Prince of Darkness (Carpenter's masterpiece IMO), and Halloween III: Season of the Witch. I adore all three of these classics, and they also are the films which most fit Halloween viewing for me.

Anyhow, I'll be watching some more horror films later today. Its what I do. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I watch The Bride of Frankenstein and either Suspiria or Dawn of the Dead on Halloween. I always sprinkle in a few other favorites in October like The Wicker Man, Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose I will try it, although I doubt I will reach 31. Tonight I think I'll watch Psycho II. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
First up for me is The Vanishing, a French/Dutch co-production later remade in the US with Kiefer Sutherland, Jeff Bridges, and Sandra Bullock.

If you thought Rosemary's Baby was a slowly building movie, it has nothing on The Vanishing. The story is about a man's quest to find out what happened to his girlfriend. She disappeared without a trace while they were stopped at a gas station and he is obsessed with solving the mystery.

The film never rises about "slightly unsettling" until its conclusion when the real horror of the situation becomes apparent. While the film takes its time getting there, it does offer intriguing pleasures for the viewer. Instead of a "whodunit", the movie reveals the perpetrator very quickly, and in fact, we learn more about his mundane family life and career than we do about the protagonist. Thus the mystery of "what happened" becomes as much our obsession as the character in the film.

Next up: Play Misty For Me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks