What's new

Official 2014 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My friends were pretty disgusted that 20 Feet from Stardom beat the Act of Killing.

The worst idea of the night was pulling out Bette Midler for that worn out song to pay tribute to the deceased.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else realize that they really didn't post the selfie on-line...but instead posted the shot taken by ABC's camera?

The "re-tweeted" image clearly shows Bradley Cooper holding Ellen's phone.

selfie-1.jpg

Well, this was the picture I kept seeing on the web last night. But this morning, I guess this image has also made the rounds:

selfie-600x450.jpg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
The worst idea of the night was pulling out Bette Midler for that worn out song to pay tribute to the deceased.
I was hoping she'd flap away after the first chorus...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As soon as the music started, I thought, "Are they really going to do this???" And they did. They did it so much.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Patrick Sun said:
Besides the selfies and the pizza delivery, were there any genuine surprises in the winners for the main 18 categories? I got the original screenplay wrong (but I wasn't that big a fan of "Her", so my pick was tainted).
I don't think so. The only real close race was BP and that went to the general consensus that Gravity would win Best Director and 12 YAS BP. So. Guess not. Really happy that Gravity was the most honored film of the night.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Cameron Yee said:
As soon as the music started, I thought, "Are they really going to do this???" And they did. They did it so much.

Okay, we had Whoopi Goldberg, an Oz tribute for no apparent reason--with Ellen coming onstage in a Goofy Costume--and Bette Midler singing her One Song, also for no apparent puzzling reason except its own...These are so 90's-Oscars, I have to ask:
Did anyone check the credits at the end and see whether Bruce Villanch was writing for the ceremony again? ("He's baaaa-ack!")
We thought he'd been exiled to an island prison colony for life, after that James Franco/Anne Hathaway disaster, and Billy Crystal went back to doing his own jokes.

(And while Ellen wandering around the audience was funny in her first hosting gig, here, it was ALL she did--Which sort of gave the impression that there was no one on stage hosting, literally and figuratively.
And with all the seat-shmoozing with Meryl Streep, have to admit, I was sort of hoping for at least one post-Golden Globes joke about her getting snockered and ranting again.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael Elliott said:
BTW, am I the only one watching 48 HOURS instead of the Red Carpet??? I just don't seem to care what anyone is wearing.
I wasn't watching 48 Hours (resuming post-Olympics TV, probably). But I've had no interest in the Oscars the past few years. I even saw several of the best-picture movies (Gravity, Blue Jasmine, 12 Years, and Frozen). I'm happy that Gravity won its many awards; it was my favorite movie last year. But...the Oscars are too ... I can't get any enthusiasm for watching 3 hrs of Hollywood congratulating itself for getting me to give them my money.

I enjoy the discussion about it. I can enjoy others' enthusiasm for the spectacle and horserace :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Weird show. I like Ellen DeGeneres, but I thought she did a much better job in 2007.

Also, wasn't moving the Governors Awards to their own ceremony originally supposed to unclutter the main show a bit? If so, it seems like having all these pointless montages and tributes to decades-old movies sort defeats that purpose. (Although to be fair, marking the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz at least makes a little more sense than last year's bizarre Chicago tribute.)

As for 12 Years A Slave, I thought it was really good, except for...

...the almost comical scene in which Brad Pitt shows up to basically explain the movie. It was distracting enough because it was Brad Pitt, but his dialogue was also just relentlessly on-the-nose (more so than the rest of the film). It was as if Mr. Garrison from South Park had suddenly appeared and said, "Mmm... slavery's bad, m'kay?" I guess you needed this scene in some respect, as Solomon had to trust someone to get his letter sent, and maybe that's what really happened. But the scene itself is so awkwardly written and executed. I suddenly remembered that I was watching a movie. And not just any movie, but an IMPORTANT one.

That one scene almost ruined the whole thing. Not quite, but it did bring it down a rung in my opinion.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bryan, had same reaction to 12 Years. Brad Pitt's character would have been ok if it weren't played by Brad Pitt or if it were Brad Pitt playing a different role (like a bad-guy slave owner). But as is, it became a parody of Pitt trying to save the world with obvious moral lessons.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just re-watched the show and noticed something strange. When John Ridley won the Best Adapted Screenplay award for 12 Years A Slave, he was seated two seats behind director Steve McQueen and walked right by him and ignored him. On stage he thanked seemingly everyone but McQueen, who clapped weirdly when Ridley won. When Steve McQueen was thanking everyone after the BP Oscar, he did the same and ignored Ridley. Anyone know if there's some bad blood between them?

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Michael Elliott said:
You see, I just don't really know what the big deal was about the picture. The original story of the man was incredibly fascinating but I thought it got lost due to the director. I didn't really find the material shocking and as I said, I already knew slavery was evil so I didn't need this movie preaching at me. Perhaps many people just aren't as well rounded on the subject so perhaps some people found it fresh, new and eye-opening. It just never struck me as that. The violence was certainly painful to look at but it should be and I don't see these graphic scenes as a reason to love the picture.

Again, I understand I'm in the minority on this one (and HER) but if it weren't for some of the performances I'd say both were drive-in material.
I agree that slavery was evil...and it still is. It is a bigger problem worldwide today than it ever was in the U.S.A. The good old U.S.A. still allows the Klu Klux Klan to flourish. That is extremely evil in this day and age .Like the Taliban ,the KKK needs to be exterminated if the U.S.A. is to become a more civilised society. The U.S.A. is still a very racist country. Maybe it is time for a film on the horrors of the KKK and how they are able to flourish today. That would be a worthy subject for an Oscar.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
^^^^

Not that we talk politics...

The ACLU defends the KKK.

Like in the movie The People vs Larry Flint...

Just because you might be vile. Doesn't mean you aren't allowed your own opinion.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Bryan Tuck said:
Weird show. I like Ellen DeGeneres, but I thought she did a much better job in 2007.

Also, wasn't moving the Governors Awards to their own ceremony originally supposed to unclutter the main show a bit? If so, it seems like having all these pointless montages and tributes to decades-old movies sort defeats that purpose. (Although to be fair, marking the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz at least makes a little more sense than last year's bizarre Chicago tribute.)

As for 12 Years A Slave, I thought it was really good, except for...

...the almost comical scene in which Brad Pitt shows up to basically explain the movie. It was distracting enough because it was Brad Pitt, but his dialogue was also just relentlessly on-the-nose (more so than the rest of the film). It was as if Mr. Garrison from South Park had suddenly appeared and said, "Mmm... slavery's bad, m'kay?" I guess you needed this scene in some respect, as Solomon had to trust someone to get his letter sent, and maybe that's what really happened. But the scene itself is so awkwardly written and executed. I suddenly remembered that I was watching a movie. And not just any movie, but an IMPORTANT one.

That one scene almost ruined the whole thing. Not quite, but it did bring it down a rung in my opinion.
I watched the Oscars for the first time in a decade and it was as overlong as ever. The only part that amused me was the look on the faces of the nominees that lost. The camera seemed to dwell on their sour faces. ( particularly Martin Scorsese who could barely applaud the winner). I was not surprised that he did not win as he is my least favourite director as are the films that he makes. It is important to remember the personalities who had died in the past year. Without this tribute ,the awards would be meaningless. You have to work in show business to appreciate as to why they do this.Bette Midler's song was a very moving and memorable tribute to them. Wow -did she look stunning for her age.I couldn't believe that this was the same person whom I saw on Broadway in 'Fiddler On The Roof " back in 1967. Anyway most people forget who won which award the next day. It is the films' legacy that need to be remembered.Just how many of the winning films will be remembered in 5 years? Not many I imagine.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It is important to remember the personalities who had died in the past year. Without this tribute ,the awards would be meaningless. You have to work in show business to appreciate as to why they do this.Bette Midler's song was a very moving and memorable tribute to them.
The reasons for the tribute are not lost on any of us, regardless of whether we're part of the industry. The way it's done (and the inevitable oversights) is the issue, though it's certainly a "can't please everyone situation." For me, "Wind Beneath My Wings" is an insipid relic of a pop song and not a fitting piece of music to pay tribute to those who passed away.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My mum loves Wind Beneath My Wings so i have to agree with you cinerama10, i disagree about Scorsese though.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well, Scorsese was robbed for the third time so I'd be pissed too. I remember the look on Newman's face when he lost yet again for THE VERDICT.

The chat here was pretty fun last night.

As I said, 12 YEARS A SLAVE winning Best Picture was just chicken shit Hollywood but the film will eventually be attacked since it beat out so many better films.

As for Ellen... I don't know. I enjoy what she tries to do but I just don't find it very funny. The entire Twitter bit just takes away from great movies who deserve some attention today but instead people are only talking about a picture. Perhaps it would have been better had people been interested in seeing many of the films that haven't gotten much attention at the box office.

As for the tribute, TCM did a much better job but I thought it was handled much better this year. I'm not sure the song was needed because her playing it at one of the 9/11 memorials was the ultimate impact of the words so it just seemed silly here.

The two screenplay awards were the biggest joke of the night.

THE WIZARD OF OZ tribute....blah. It wasn't even the best movie of 1939. Should have just paid tribute to the entire year.

The CAPTAIN PHILIPS supporting actor seemed rather pissed at some of the jokes aimed at him, which was rather funny.

Goldie Hawn....sad. It was rather embarrassing seeing the cuts to the crowd where they were obviously talking about her looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks